No Numbers Or Hands, But It Tells Time

Watch concepts without traditional numerics and even analog hands? Minimalism to its extreme – or at least that’s what designer Robert Dabi is pitching. His ZERO watch has two discs  (one each for hours and minutes) that spin to tell time. My problem with many numeric-less concepts is difficulty in reading them. The ZERO looks like it may avoid that because I have no problems reading it. No word if it’ll hit the market but the flexible metal/rubber band will come in an array of colors if it does. Hit the jump for a video.

Designer: Robert Dabi [See more watches at the Yanko Design Store]

ZERO wrist watch from Robert Dabi on Vimeo.

ZERO wrist watch by Robert Dabi

zero3

zero2

zero4

• woosung says:

I like it!!

• bhillner says:

in response to comments below….
      1) no logo on the front is needed, however cool even a back-lit logo would be. to follow the original intent, keep the front as clean as possible. there's the logo and writing on the back surface to know which way is up.

2) no knob is needed to change the time. once again, keep it looking very minimal. instead, have a recessed "reset" button on the back surface that resets the watch to 12:00…then all the user has to do is wait until 12:00 realtime and push the button to sync your new Zero watch with realtime.

Thanks, http://www.brianhillner.com

• bhillner says:

in response to comments below….

2) no knob is needed to change the time. once again, keep it looking very minimal. instead, have a recessed “reset” button on the back surface that resets the watch to 12:00…then all the user has to do is wait until 12:00 realtime and push the button to sync your new Zero watch with realtime.

Thanks, ” target=”_blank”>http://www.brianhillner.com

• M_Crow says:

i like the minimalist design! (especially the black with grey dial). Maybe inserting the “zero” logo within the dial to take away the need of guessing which position is upright? Just a suggestion!

• StereoTypo says:

I think a logo in the center would destroy the minimalism. My two concerns are about adjusting the time and the lackluster strap/bracelet feature.
      Unless you are fitting atomic clocks, (superfluously), into a rubberized plastic frame, why not feature a crown that is as flush as possible with the frame? Having the crown present would solve the problem presented by the rotational symmetry.

• me says:

the time would be changed wirelessly through radio waves like some other watches
        but any way i like it and i want one

• M_Short says:

The back of the face is stamped with the company’s logo, as seen in the last picture, thus you know the correct upright position.

• M_Crow says:

A logo on the dial will play 2 roles. i agree with your point on the logo at the back, but an indication on the front makes me feel secure that im not wearing it the wrong way round. second, to let others know that im wearing a watch by zero! Maybe a back-lit logo?
        Im also interested in how we will go about adjusting the time as a budging knob at the side will affect the minimalist look.

• Cheesy says:

I don't believe any mark is necessary to indicate the right way up. Take the example times shown in the publicity photos and consider what they would be when upside down:
      12:00 = 6:30
      3:30 = 9:00
      6:00 = 12:30
      Apart from the subtle clue that the hands don't quite line up properly, the really big clue is that there is at least five hours between upside down time and real time. Ones internal sense of time would have to be seriously disturbed to not notice such a large difference.

• Cheesy says:

12:00 = 6:30
      3:30 = 9:00
      6:00 = 12:30

• Grant says:

Even though I don’t normally wear watches, if you offered this watch for sale, I would definitely have to buy it. So elegant and almost apple like.

• Mixel says:

I really like this one and it is just as easy to read the time like on a normal watch.
    I was wondering, how do you set the time?

• Looks great – I would love to own one of these.

As already mentioned it co9uld do with a way to show which is top – the zero logo in the middle of the face would do this.

It would also be good to see a second hand (or should that be disc?) to add a bit of motion.

• Mahtab says:

Great idea, i like it so much 🙂

• phinou says:

I definitively like it ! Would like to buy it !
    Atomic time would be perfect !

• Nexus says:

I want it!!!
    Do you plan to find a manufacture for that ?!

• Steven says:

Perfect! One of the best watch concepts I’ve seen.

Please don’t add a logo to the face. The application on the bottom plate is expertly handled and more than sufficient.

• mif991 says:

Love everything but the screws in the back. It seems you could find a better way (or better looking screws)to assemble this.

• Pete S says:

is there a newsletter or something that I could subscribe to to get the release date? (I’m going ahead and assuming that this thing is coming to fruition)Depending on cost I would purchase all except for the pink one so I can have a choice of which to wear depending on my cloths for the day.

• Love the minimalism. Just make sure you don’t put it on the wrong way round! Dont clutter with a logo to differentiate top and bottom, how about inverting the colours on screen to show AM/PM..

Congrats,

Chris

• moo says:

excellent concept

• Meira says:

Finally a beautiful watch of minimalist design that everyone will want to own. When can i buy one?

• eric says:

Very nice. I would to buy one too !
    Please manufacture it !!!

• karen says:

you better make this. id buy it. ILL BUY IT!

• LOOL says:

WONDERFULL !!!! I WANT IT

• Chloe says:

BEAUTY! i would like to buy this!

• ashraf_2003 says:

a very creative idea O__o

• Vicky says:

hans donner has created this concept here in brazil many MANY years ago.

• Vicky says:

look for time dimension

• DESIGN DOC says:

I think the time in ur second pic shd read 4:30 not 3:30!! Cute design though.

• Rob says:

Meanwhile, there are plans on producing this watch 😀 If you want to keep being updated about this project from concept to reality, you can follow ZeroWatches on Twitter!

• yuki says:

is the size suitable for all hand sizes, as some ppl might have smaller wrist, like me, don’t want it falling off.

• gestaltic says:

I want it, and i want it NOW!

• Ayngel says:

I definitely want one of these. Also, I’d end up buying 5 or 6 as gifts. I don’t know how this *wouldn’t* sell.

• doggy boy says:

Okay – I looked at this like 50 times already. How about just putting it into production already and make a whole bunch of people very, very happy.

• Arthur says:

Any news? At the introduction I was looking for a new watch, and when I saw this I forced myself to wait a little. But now I can’t wait any more!!!

Is there a production planned in the near future?

• Rob says:

Actually it IS in production!

Sorry for keeping you waiting Arthur 🙂 We are working on it, and there will also be an awesome aditional feature.. check zerowatches.com to stay in touch. release will supposedly be around oct. / nov.

• miki says:

where I can buy it???

• miki says:

where I can buy it???

• Sean says:

If there was a waiting line on release date of this watch i would surly be the first one in it!

• Sean says:

• Mani says:

Is it out yet? I had above that it would be available by Oct/Nov. Still waiting…

• Mani says:

• Annie says:

Do you have any info about its release?? 😉

• Annie says:

Do you have any info about its release?? 😉

• John says:

SELL THESE RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!! I NEED ONE!!!!!

• John says:

SELL THESE RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!! I NEED ONE!!!!!

• aaaa says:

i want one!

• aaaa says:

i want one!

• osiris_11 says:

I have spent 15 years seek for watch. Finally I found it. Excellent design!!! Would like to buy it asap!

• osiris_11 says:

• little boy says:

I am still waiting for this. Hope that I can buy it soon .I really love it.

• little boy says:

I am still waiting for this. Hope that I can buy it soon .I really love it.

• Alex says:

Great idea and cool design!!! Just try to keep the price not too high and plan to offer international (free?) delivery. And for the upside down problem, as others said, there's the logo on the back, while for the sync problem just make it a radio clock. 🙂

• aris says:

hello to everyone. i want to ask how can i buy one of this watches. please if anyone knows let me now.

• aris says:

• Ahmed says:

Its the future watch I wanted to buy it now, but when ever its comes to market please do let me know i will buy this revolutionary watch With the concept of ZERO

• Brett Ayres says:

surely everyone worrying about a logo all they would need is the word Zero as the “hands” are the logo. really like this. if there’s a purple version i might get or i’d get the black/grey and red