One Pot, Two Lives

No drugs! Only fishes and plants. Not weed! Thought I bet it’d be extra cool if-no! This is a planter and a fishtank. You put your regularly potted plant in this pot on top, and a goldfish on the bottom. What could they provide for eachother, you might ask? Waste! Yes, the fishes turn their eaten bait remnants into nutrients for the plant, while the water fed to the plant is filtered as it passes though and becomes clean for the fish. It is a totally natural and lovely system.

Let us discuss something – the size. Do you think this tank is too small? I’ve got a bit of a concern for that little fishy, but what are your standards for a gold?

Using this system of cycling materials keeps the fish poo from staying in the water long enough to turn it acidic. It also can reduce the use of chemical substance such as nitrifying bacteria and other materials, “maintaining the steady neutral PH quality of the water.”

Benefits!

The soil remains humid, extending the watering period by about one week.

The product’s middle layer is the filter layer, which accumulates fertilizer as the nutrient for outdoor pot plant.

So… I’m also adding this to my gift list.

Course Director: Dr. Hsien-Hui TANG @ NTUST Design Dept.

Designers: Sheng-Zhe Feng and Ling-Yuan Chou

Circulating by Sheng-Zhe Feng and Ling-Yuan Chou

circulating02

• Jazz says:

Where can i buy?

• Lyndie says:

• Lyndie says:

I want one of these but have not been able to find it. if anyone can tell me where to get one, please get in touch. I’m in love

• Ben says:

No fish wants to live in a small glass container? Interesting… So when did they tell you this? What fish or fishes did you consult to form this hypothesis?

• Tay says:

Has anyone found where to buy this, or something similar?

• Jonathan says:

This is true. However the fish pictured is a juvenile guppy, not a goldfish. Also Goldfish/carp are the dirtiest freshwater fish you can keep. Each regular fancy goldfish requires 20 gallons to live a happy healthy life with regular weekly water changes.

Don’t agree? When was the last time you had a goldfish live it’s full life of 20 years?

• Matty says:

The fact that you quoted them wrong as saying “dish” instead of “fish” says a lot.

Also, “idiots”, quit flippin’ out over stupid crap. The fish isn’t in any kind of danger. People keep betta fish in bowls with a single water plant in them. We had one like that and it lived three years. Same idea. So get off of your soap box, you psychopath.

• Britt says:

Fish bowl style tanks make fish go insane. That’s why fish bowls are illegal in other countries. Yes, illegal. They are constantly searching for an end that isn’t there.
    My source? A fish store in Germany. They even keep tabs on what fish you have and how many.

• Britt says:

I’m surprised that your beta didn’t become pale shortly after putting him in this bowl…. Even fish tell you when they are in stress by color and activity.

• Britt says:

To all the people saying “who cares, it’s just a fish” yeah okay great… But why waste your money on something if you aren’t going to keep it happy and healthy? When fish are in stress they are more pale and less active… What fun is that to look at? Really?

• jeff says:

so many scoochy designy things on the internet and everybody asks where to get it, but those poor designers seem to have put so much thought into design that nobody has a clue about marketing or how to actually buy the product. So many people are asking where do I get it? And nobody bothers to answer. That aside, it’s a damn small little tank, designed to make a minnow claustrophobic. I don’t like designs, or people, that try to include live animals as mere cute “decoration” but never really give a thought to what happens to the animal. Also, yeah, the weird unexplained filtration system. Almost all fish feces I know about gravitates to the bottom of the tank. The designer doesn’t explain how those nutrients ever get recycled into the plant’s biosystem. Basically all that feces is just gonna float there till somebody cleans it out. Or the person who buys it is probably so into it for the design that the idea of actually cleaning out a fishtank would just be so “icky” he throws it away. So far it looks like cute idea, highly impractical. Maybe it’s lucky for the fish that nobody knows where to buy the contraption.

• Raggedy Android says:

…and is self-cleaning.

• Ando says:

it’s the perfect size for a beta fish~!

• Kar says:

Incorrect. Bettas live in large rice patties(and other similar marshy areas) with plenty of plant cover, territory, and it only gets muddy when the water recedes far enough down to make it so.

They’re also not Chinese.

• Giovanni says:

Bettas hail from very warm climates, they do need a heater to maintain their water temperature to a desired 80 to 84 degrees F.

• Make says:

Okay, i found this trough internet on some ones blog and it’s being reposted around a lot so i’m just going to say… Don’t buy this.

I’m from other country so i don’t know how they deal with tank sizes in USA or other countries, but it’s illegal here to put fish(or other animal with backbone) in tank which isn’t at least 40 l big. It’s animal cruelty. Also if you are starting aquarium hobby or just want pretty fish to look at the best starter is something like 100 l big. It’s much easier to take care of, with all those water balance stuff. The round aquarium is problematic because of it’s size. It’s hard to decorate and clean. Without any hiding places fish will get stress and gets more easilly sick. Also that fish in picture looks like male guppy (or at least some kind of cyprinodontiformesand), it’s a group fish so yeah, i wouldn’t trust that this product will satisfy all fish’s needs.

Idea itself is pretty neat but it has some really big holes. Make it bigger and some easy way to clean it and put plants it would be great home for shrimps. Also it’s not new to put other than water plants in aquarium, it’s really common to put big plants so they can use all fish’ waste so you have clean water. Sorry for my grammar but like i said i’m from other country and my language isn’t even close to english.

• ldb1991 says:

Gold fish are dirty fish and they get big the minimum for a gold fish is 10 gallons for one fish. A Betta would be better but they need 1.5 gallons and some space above the water because they “gulp” air from the surface and they would also need a heater.

• Kory says:

You guys seem to not understand fish, a Betta could live fine in this bowl. As an aquarist I’ve never had a heater Oma Betta tank and all of my fish have thrived and lived for years. The fish has room to move, that’s what counts. It’s not like the fish has the cognitive functioning to wish for a bigger tank.

• Kory says:

You guys seem to not understand fish, a Betta could live fine in this bowl. As an aquarist I’ve never had a heater on a Betta tank and all of my fish have thrived and lived for years. The fish has room to move, that’s what counts. It’s not like the fish has the cognitive functioning to wish for a bigger tank.

• Jessica says:

Where can I buy one of these?

• Amanda says:

If you do not think this is a good tank for a quality life for a fish, or find it cruel then DO NOT buy it!

But….where can I buy this and for how much?

• Esther says:

I’m interested in buying one of these. Where can I buy one?

• Esther says:

I’m interested in buying one of these, Where can I buy one?

• Steph says:

I have a goldfish in a tank that is a gallon and a half. He is a happy lil guy and even has me pet…yes pet him. He wants this tank and all you need to calm down. Burton is 2 and still kickin. Just find out where to get him this bowl!

• Choda says:

Motherfuckers need to stick this piece of shit up their ass holes. Eat shit and suffer to death. Motherfucking bustards. Fuck all of your asses including your mothers ass and cunt.

• Choda says:

Eat, shit, and go fuck your homo buddies. Fucken fagot asses. Fucken AIDS carriers…

• fanwar says:

This is most impressive idea for making environmental friendly fish-tank with plant jar separated, love to buy it at any cost!

• JL says:

Depending on where you live in the world your Betta may not require a heater if you live in tropical area…. or your Betta may not need to use one in the summer….. But most Bettas require heaters to be in perfect health. They are tropical fish and ideal water temps for Bettas are 78-84F degrees that stay constant temp through out the day!

Most everything we thought we knew about Bettas is false. They should NOT be kept in small containers just because they can survive in it…. they thrive in a heated 2-5 gallon tank.

• Nicole says:

Where can I purchase one?

• Alicia says:

Where can I buy one of these?

• Spida says:

I believe that heat and light are transmitted from the bottom by the looks of it, where it goes off to a cord. It would be nice if they could throw in one of those window-sticking solar rechargers (they make them for phones).
    As for filtration, don’t underestimate the qualities of modern fabrics, I believe it would be an excellent filtration system.
    I would also suggest that the shape of the air hole on the fish tank would mean that if it were placed in a draught, it would help aerate the water which is important. All in all, yes, a siamese fighter could be lovely and happy.
    I think the design could be different sizes and shapes. A huge one would be pretty cool.

• Laur says:

I need one of these ASAP! Someone PLEASE tell me where I can get one!!

• Ra says:

Is it available to buy? Need it asap

• Kyea says:

I work at Petco and I’ve learned there that Goldfish can actually live in either cold or room temperature water you just have to gradually switch the temperature so that they do not go into shock and die.

• DEBI CLARKE says:

So is this available for purchase yet? I sooo want one of these.

• zac says:

I would really like to buy one of these i just can’t find them for sale. Does anyone know if they are for sale?

• Joana says:

How Can i Buy one ?????
    and HOW much ?????
    PLEASE Reply 🙂
    I really want it, it’s wonderful.

• Mea says:

• I love this, Where can i buy it!?

• Erynn says:

Goldfish are one of the most commonly underachieving fish in terms of life expectancy because of stuff like this. They should live an average of 25-30 years old – going up to about 45. But most pet gold fihs will live 5-10 years. Gold fish are MESSY. Really, really messy. They need big tanks. As in the smallest tank for a single goldfish is over 20 gallons. This is NOT a 20 gallon tank, nor is one plant adequate to filter for a goldfish. The only fish that can handle small aquariums are pretty much betta fish – and they’re, while hardy, also requiring at least 3 gallons of water and a busy environment with little water motion and a heater for optimum life experience for the fish. Most bettas will only live a year or so, and should live to 3.5.

• Erynn says:

Petco is not a good place to learn about how to keep pets optimally. Especially not fish. They are correct in thsi respect, though. Goldfish do favour the slightly warmer water though in terms of activity levels and growth. They actually grow quite large if kept warm.

• Erynn says:

*grow large quite quickly; if they live a good long time they always grow large.

• Sam says:

How can I purchase this pot?

• Melody says:

Greetings fellow earthlings,

Have used a simplified version of the process. this is really a beautiful little pot and plant idea, but I think that it might, as your other fish people shared be a little small for a fish. Fish do grow to their environment size.I didn’t see any place to feed the fish, did I miss something. It would really be ideal for Beta if there is warmth at some level.

• Jill Duffield says:

Can you please tell me where I could purchase a One pot Two Lives fish bowl? I am in Australia.
    Thanks a lot
    Cheers
    Jill Duffield

• Tyler Poulton says:

Same situation as J.D.- Is this just a design, or has it been made ? Because I desperately want to buy one !

• alex says:

hi,
    i would like to know if you sell the aquarium with green.

Let me know

Kind regards,
    Alex

• Shannon Rogers says:

Please tell me where I can purchase this awesome gift. Want it for Christmas and more than one. Thanks

• Robert says:

Wow! That’s really a cool Idea. Is it possible to buy it somewhere??