Try Air To Stay Dry

Back in May last year I did a roundup of the Most Unconventional Umbrellas seen here on YD. I wish I had stumbled across the Air Umbrella then, because it’s the mother of unconventional designs! Imagine an umbrella with no canopy! The barrier between you and the raindrops is a sheet of steady air that is blown out by this hollow pipe. Physics and a lot of engineering stuff is clogging my brains to accept this design, but if I put these dark clouds of doubt out of the way, we may have something in this concept. Think about it!

• You can control the length of the stick and the size of the air canopy.

Designers: Je Sung Park & Woo Jung Kwon

air_umbrella

air_umbrella2

Air Umbrella by Je Sung Park

air_umbrella4

air_umbrella5

• ol says:

How long would the efficiently battery last to produce such a high pressure air stream??? Nice idea but I don’t think we have enough battery tech to power this long enough for a smaller rain storm…

• ol says:

• Raja says:

Is it lighter than a normal umbrella? What happens in a windy climate? How long can the battery last?

• Almax says:

I was just wondering? Now ??? did anyone think of what should happen to all the Umbrellas , that are still , ok … That is if ” everyone would buy one of these… ( and how come the most people in here are rude to eachother ? ) wouldn’t it be better , if we could give this Idea , a few tip’s … to maybe become a greater Gadget , for our needs and our Planet .

• Moebius says:

And what is this particular umbrella made of?? Love and kind thoughts about the earth?? Or is it again plastic?

• greg says:

Batteries are extremly non ecofriendly. Between alkaline lithium and lead they are a nightmare to dispose of properly

• xochil says:

so does this really exist?

• Smartass says:

And when the batteries run out you can beat back the rain with your plastic stick.

• Gabby says:

Nice!
    I have the same idea of eco friendly umbrellas. Just don’t use them. LOL

But just loved this design… something that the Jetsons family would have.

• alex castro says:

This will innovate and mundo.Gostaria very much to know how to get one as soon as they start selling

• Edchaos says:

Eco-friendly my ass. Lets then everybody stop using Cell Phones and begin using normal phones again. You DO that and I can accept you not liking something because it isn´t “eco-friendly”.

Lets stop using cars and airplanes too.

Oh and I forgot Computers!

Yeah stop using all those devices, they are not “eco-friendly”.

• Xanda0666 says:

Shut UP And CHUP MY BENGS!

• Anna says:

Is this for sale yet?

• kevin pham says:

how come im the only one that notices the horrible situation of an individual grabbing one of these for a rainy day, holding onto important files/ etc. and turning it on, after a short time realizes the batteries are dead -_- he forgot to charge it. now he’s fawked. 🙂

• zack says:

LMFAO THAT IS THE GREATEST COMMENT I HAVE EVER HEARD. THE ONLY PROBLEM IS THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS WILL NOT THINK ABOUT THAT

• Westley Twain says:

“pvc in any regard is not eco frendly!”
    Okay, I’m not only going to call bullshit on that, but I am going to call bullshit on that with correct grammer and punctuation, so that at least it looks like I’m making an argument that can stand its ground.

Is PVC in truly any use bad for the environment? Even if it’s used to make the Air Umbrella? Think about it for a moment: if it was made of metal, then it would get too cold to touch in cold wet weather, as well as being too expensive for the average Joe to buy. The pictures clearly show that the Air Umbrella is made from plastic, most likely PVC.

• Westley Twain says:

“pvc in any regard is not eco frendly!”
    Okay, I’m not only going to call bullshit on that, but I’m going to call bullshit on that with correct grammer and punctuation, so that at least it looks like I’m making an argument that can stand its ground.

• Guest says:

Why is everyone being so hostile? I understand that spelling is important, but you don’t need to attack this person over it. I don’t think they were trying to insult you, so you shouldn’t insult them either :P.

• god says:

Joe. Who are you to judge? I’ll see you at the gates you won’t be entering.

• kelbatron5000 says:

Thats why I just use the force. Save the environment, train to be a Jedi.

• gökhan says:

What can I do to buy an umbrella?

• Shannon says:

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can’t believe a bunch of stuck up all-talk-no-action hippies just sat and argued over an umbrella and some grammatical/spelling errors. WOW good job guys, did a lot of good with that.

• Shannon says:

Read more at https://www.yankodesign.com/2010/01/12/try-air-to-stay-dry/#wlg55sJc0FaI4y8F.99

• Shel Mihal says:

You make a good point, but why so angry? Kinda aggro with the
    “dumb asshole” thing.

• Alexander B. says:

Basically, I like the concept but does it really work? I feel like St. Thomas who said: I will believe it when I touch and see it.

• Christina E. says:

Would this still work in a down pour? Does it only work for a light rain? What about those super windy storms that turn you umbrella inside-out. Still work? I’d love to get my hands on one of these to try it. Also, ignore the bad grammar on the description. Obviously this was designed outside the U.S. and the translation is bad. Give them a break.

• Lharrisn says:

Where can you buy one?

• Roland says:

where canI buyone

• Roland says:

where canI buy one

• HunnyBadgerer says:

Y’all realize this is all just cute design, and functionally impossible? If you hooked up an air compressor to PVC(which couldn’t stand the pressurization), at even 200psi this wouldn’t deflect water, it would just make a lot of spray. Also, paper laptop?!?! Where’s the paper lithium battery and paper silicon and precious metal motherboard? Do they mine for such things in paper terrorist countries? Cute ideas, though.

• Honeysuckle Boutique says:

Does it spray others around you? (while pushing the air away from you) I like the idea!

• Elise says:

“Plastic is not good for the economy”?? Do you know that the economy is significantly different from the eco-system? (: Just wanted to point that out. Plastic is definitely not harmful to the economy.

• zrad says:

You probably typed this from your highly toxic cell phone didn’t you?

• Lady Elbereth says:

I don’t think you need to swear and use disgusting language in order to prove a point. You would have a far more impressive statement if you could sound like an adult.

• I think this is one of the most innovative concepts for umbrellas in years. The objections seem to be that if there are high winds, this wouldn’t work. Do typical umbrellas keep you dry in high winds? No! I think this product should be developed. I would buy it!

• I have read several good stuff here. Certainly price bookmarking
    for revisiting. I surprise how so much attempt you put to
    create such a great informative web site.

• Debbie says:

It is more eco friendly to make a plastic bag. I reuse plastic bags, but what about the batteries? That’s hazardous waste. No bueno. You could use rechargeable batteries, but those only work for so long and you have to use electricity. Hmmm, give me the plastic bag.

• Agreed! Umbrellas are notoriously lousy quality and one windy rain storm will be the end of most umbrellas. Exciting new product.

I would suggest that the plastics used in this fascinating devise are recyclable which has not been mentioned and I do expect that they “will” last as long as they have a decent battery which can be recharged over and over.

Nothing used in the manufacturing of conventional umbrellas is recyclable and I have gone through quite a few. (Not because I lost them)

I have read the comments down to this point and must say: “always proof read” before pushing send and play nice!

• James Guzman says:

7 years happens in Texas.

• kelley says:

It is eco friendly because it is said to be rechargeable….so you charge it…eliminates any batteries also any wind gusts can destroy a normal umbrella. So yeah it is better~!!

• 賢進学 says:

The biggest problem is that such an umbrella would blow water toward those who are adjacent to the user. Also, if two users got too close to each other, they would cancel out each others wind canopy, causing the rain to fall anyways.

• a sheds says:

But for supplemental heat, the open fire is perfect.

• Betty says:

Actually, this may become less effective in windy areas where the pressure of wind going against umbrella is stronger.

• Stevie Knapp says:

This is false, plastic bags are an issue on out planet, technology is better to use rather than more plastic. sea turtles (specifically leather back turtles which are critically endangered) are dying at a miraculous rate because they are mistaking plastic bags for jelly fish And thats just one animal there are plenty of species who are dying because of plastic on our planet. Plastic never breaks down, it just degrades into smaller particles. Even biodegradable bags take 4 years to degrade in water. less plastic is better for this planet. if you knew about science today you would realize it is an issue.

• This is very interesting, You are a very skilled blogger.
    I’ve joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more of your magnificent post.
    Also, I’ve shared your web site in my social networks!

• eric b says:

Shut up and take my money

• eric b says:

Shut up and take my money.

• film says:

Terrific work! This is the type of information that should
    be shared around the net. Shame on Google for no longer positioning
    this post higher! Come on over and visit my website .

• Textildruck says:

Enjoy the very hot Textildruck cause it is soo very
    cool.