Fork, Spoon… Cheese-grater?

We get some weird submissions here at Yanko, that’s for sure. What say you is the greatest combination of two tools in the history of humankind? The spork, of course! And here’s what might be the next step in human evolution. Not only is this tool, the “Implement Six,” a fork, not only is it a spoon… it’s a cheese grater. It can grate your cheese and you can eat it too! Just what I need for camping.

This is exactly what I’ve been looking for. When I am camping and happen upon the rare and elusive cheesebearing tree, I’ve always gotta eat hunks of cheese whole! But now, all that is over. Now, I’ve got just the tool to make my life all that much easier!

And it’s for righties and lefties, too!

Also pictured is an earlier iteration with no spoonfork spork hand. Clearly it is seriously inferior.

Designer: Scott Graham

Implement Six Cheesegrater Fork and Spoon by Scott Graham

Implement Six Cheesegrater Fork and Spoon by Scott Graham

Implement Six Cheesegrater Fork and Spoon by Scott Graham

Implement Six Cheesegrater Fork and Spoon by Scott Graham

• karl says:

why the miniature condom?

• M.S.W. says:

Curious, how comfortable is it to eat with this?

• Bep says:

dear Graham, you do realize that the cover text is highly sarcastic, right?!

I would ask them to take it down or change it. Yanko has gotten meaner and meaner.

• Chris Burns says:

I’m just sarcastic in nature. I’ll say right here that I like the tool a lot. I wasn’t trying to be mean at all.

• Radhika Seth says:

YD has a ground rule of never being mean to the designers OR their products. OK we may bring out the flaws subtly where they warrant it but never MEAN as you put it. Being witty (or sarcastic) as you put it is a different story.

Scott’s idea here is really cool and he knows it!

• Eric Foor says:

It looks like that it could pass as a mini-plate then as a mini-spoon.

• Thanks for the comments, everyone. I mean that.

For real, given that I sent in a very different text, I felt a bit chuffed at YD’s re-interpretation. Nonetheless, I can read humour, sarcasm and between the lines like a big boy so my ego healed pretty quickly.

At the end of the day, one of my first-year (highly-conceptual and majorly-professor-driven-for-the-sake-of-making-me-understand-design-parameters-as-ridiculous-as-they-can-be (A camping grater? Please!)) designs is online and for this, I am a happy chap.

As for the question of comfort, the rounded edges and overall palm-size make it a snug and unobtrusive tool — in my 5’11”, 190 lb opinion. 😀

To see what else I’ve created, I invite you to investigate and comment at: http://twofouronenine.com.

Best,

S*

• Todd says:

Sorry, more plastic crap. Please consider other materials such as wood or metal.

• Todd says:

… meaning. Make something that is a pleasure to hold, look at, and use. Somehting that will be around for a long time.

• You’re aware that this is a prototype, right? An acrylic grater is nonsensical: clearly I’d stamp it from stainless.

• Todd says:

Sorry, hard to tell in this day and age with so many things being made from plastic. What about the rest of the piece?

• Actual units would have the grating layer and spoon/fork layer stamped from food-safe stainless steel with injection-molded polycarbonate as the material of choice for the protective “cover” layer given its scratch-resistant properties; Nylon is proposed for washers and locators.

• Rubens says:

It's a little bit…….less than we need to eat.
    Isn't it?

• Rubens says:

It's a little bit…….less than we need to eat.
    Isn't it?

• Rubens says:

It's a little bit…….less than we need to eat.
    Isn't it?