A Fresh New Look At The Computer

We are so traditional in our ways that we tend to presume the obvious materials of choice for something like our computers. Now, would you buy the theory of stretching a Bamboo fabric across the aluminum frame of the comp to protect its innards? This will not only cut costs of manufacturing by 65%, but also the bamboo will also do well as a ventilator.

Proposed to be sold as a stand-alone unit the HP LiM (Less is More) concept is set to feature a 19″ transparent touch OLED screen along with a wireless keyboard. The touch screen slides down to create a more ergonomic touch experience and easy navigation. It also features a virtual trackpad thus cutting down on mouse costs.

Designer: Jeffrey S. Engelhardt

• Luke says:

The proposal to use bamboo fibers to cut manufacturing costs is definite worth considering, but did he really have to fluff it up with futuristic computer clichés?

• zippyflounder says:

65% ?..don’t forget labor kiddies and aluminum is still more expensive than steel. The way current towers are made are more or less a industry standard that holds in rack form all the guts from drives, mother boards, power supplies to IO’s. If you move away from that your cost’s cascade UP because now all the guts have to be custom. The idea of a soft side has one other little problem, rodents, they love to chew through stuff like bamboo.

• Ekove says:

didn’t he kinda increase the cost with his futuristic imaginary design? And no I won’t buy because it uses “unexpected materials” but for the fact it looks scaringly fragile.

• Kyran Cinflaria says:

I’m not crazy about using bamboo. Living in America I have enough cheap foreign junk. If it won’t make it look or perform any better, I’m sticking with my original system.

• John Q says:

i think one of the big reasons why computer cases are made from metals is because they disperse the heat. I’m not sure wood disperses heat as well, meaning you would need either more fans (bulkier) or have a more efficient system (either lower processing power/more expensive components). So until someone does some research this isn’t really viable. Plus, why would all the big companies use metals if bamboo was better?

• Nowwer says:

that’s a lot of individual pieces for a computer. There’s a good chance of losing one, and would be easier to steal… so should probably re-think that.

• james says:

haha thats 3 parts which is the same as an iMac (screen keyboard mouse) and less than a standard computer which is tower monitor keyboard mouse. Saw this in person and it was really cool and well thought through. The materials, well they’ll come but I know that you may think its futuristic but its not that far off from what is out there now regardless if you like it or not.

• M.S.W. says:

Design looks nice and smooth. Although looking closely at the aluminum frame it has some very thick spots here and there which could use some engineering refinement to reduce material usage/cost. The bamboo paper sounds interesting, but without treatment/additives wouldn’t it be succeptable to humidity absorbtion as well as hard to clean? Or is this part of the marketing plan to sell more inserts? One reason current computers use steal cases is to evade RF interferance with the parts. I’m curious the monitor appears to be connected via magnetic method which would also require shielding as well.

• Michael Karlsson says:

Come on!

• bizzybody says:

LIM? Lotus Intel Microsoft – the collaboration of the three to produce EMS or Expanded Memory System for the original 8088 and 8086 CPU IBM PC and clones.

• Celestial says:

Is it just me, or does this thing look horribly fragile? It looks like you could just touch it and the sucker would break into pieces. Its a neat design, but it seriously looks a piece of a glass door to me. And another thing that kinda ticks me off is the fact that there isn't anymore info on this posted. Its just the same pictures floating from site to site with the same copy and pasted text. And besides, what about finger prints? Wouldn't this thing be a complete finger print magnet?

• TheKat says:

The iPhone is made of glass too, but it quite robust. Toughened glass or even films used to toughen glass make them a lot stronger than they appear.

• Celestial says:

• TheKat says:

• Jason Wang says:

The shape is super slick. I don't understand why everyone's complaining about the glass. Many good display cases have it as well, and if it doesn't work, it could easily be substituted for a polycarbonate or acrylic.

• Jason Wang says:

• Alimamy Turay says:

hey their.
    I have see computer in the world, but this one that i so love ever in my life. i want to know the price of it. thanks

• timothyjay ricard says:

i want so when is it comming to stores and howmuch will it cost please respond asap and if you need some one to test it and review look to me

• It’s an amazing paragraph designed for all the online people; they
    will get benefit from it I am sure.