A Little Bit of College Ruled Genius

By our friend and returning Yanko champion, Sherwood Forlee. Check out the simplicity. Just punch out the corner, make a cut or two, fold back, and POW! You are green. You are sooo green. And Sherwood told us to make sure to mention that the money you save on staples is money you should spend on something totally nice for yourself. So, you know what to do!

Get out there and kick-start the economy!

That Forlee, always thinking with his heart.

Visit his portfolio or click below to see the other things by SF that have been featured on Yanko Design.

Designer: Sherwood Forlee

• Eric says:

This is awesome! I’ve been turning papers in since high school without staples by using similar methods. I think this is great if you have the time to cut out so many pages, but for a few sheets I do have my staple-less stapler that does the same thing with a quick punch. Sure I had to buy it for $6, but I still never have to buy staples… Thanks SF, keep it alive with me!

• Carl says:

How is this different to the existing stapleless stapler? what is his next design innovation, the wheel? the knife? how about a device for pulling his head out of his A$$…!

• Terry Tate says:

THIS aint your personal insult farm CARL. CLEAN that dirty mouth up quick or you a$$ is goin on another ride on the PAIN TRAIN.

WOO WOO

• sianz says:

wow.. the self elected internet police!

heh. do the world a favor, go jump off the nearest cliff with a rock tied to your feet.

• fromamovie says:

its a line from a movie dumba$$..

• Jerryja says:

So why does Carl have the right to talk crap about the original poster but nobody has a right to talk crap about Carl? I’d say you’re being as much of an internet police as Terry.

• Rusty Shackleford says:

I rode the PAIN TRAIN once. It was not a pleasant ride. They didn’t distribute any beverages and they totally missed my stop.

• namey mcnamename says:

lol

• cyc4015 says:

yeah, unless he is selling paper that come pre-slotted, this is no innovation.

• darby says:

wow, your awesome carl. awesome comment

for a start this looks allot cleaner than the join made by a staple’less stapler, and although not as simple to do, if you had a die cut, or could just buy the notpads already cut, this would be a great idea

ass

• Chapps McGuy says:

its called the poorman’s staple… you fold the corner over, rip two slits out and fold it over in the opposite direction.. no pre-cutting or product needed…

• zippyflounder says:

yup learned that in 1960 from the teacher, whom likely lerned it from her 1st grade teacher too. A tool that did the punch, made of recycled material and suitably colored would sell well as gift item.

• sso says:

이거 원래 있었는데

• Bob Barker says:

And I’m supposed to cut that slot out how?

• Frak says:

Because using paper is green? Hypocrites.

• Jeff Porter says:

Ya that $.39 a year I spend in staples will by me a couple of tasty sticks of gum. But I just know that all of the time I spend cutting and folding will be sooo… worth the “green” effort.

• think green says:

thinking green is not on a personal scale.

if more people did this, the less metal required to manufacture staples, the less coal and gas to run the giant furnaces to melt the raw metal material..

think global..

• herpderp says:

How about you not be a faggot with your green nonsense? Global scale? Are you fucking serious?

• herpderp says:

• Roguetrooper says:

Yeah less metal used so several hundred people out of a job at the metal furness plants. Less coal used more miners unemployed, less gas used more riggers out of work. Then all these people out of work sat at home on computers and watching more tv and using more electricity. Having more time to go out for a drive in their cars, using more paper to apply for more jobs. Also having to try and downgrade luxuries so instead go to McD's which in turn have to destroy more rainforests to make way for the extra cattle needed.
        Now if you look at the bigger picture, just how green would it be if you stopped using staples?

• Roguetrooper says:

• Christina says:

Jesus, why does everyone feel the need to be so aggressive? This site is just a forum for ideas, just chill out guys.

• j says:

since when did yakno become a forum for people to exchange insults? thats a reohetrical question, so please no smart answers.

i like the design and concept, it is a lot cleaner then the poorman’s stapler, but the poorman stapler is more practicle and easier. this method relies on the slit being pre cut or needs to be cut. As a concept i love it, but real life means its one for the shelf.

i work in an office environment and we dont really use paper any more, most communicae is done via email, phone or verbal.

this is prob best suited for the self employed (or small firm) of doctors, archtiects, accountants, solicitors etc etc who suffer from OCD and have the luxuary of making clean slits into paper.

• Carl says:

some people make a career from design working on only one profession mastering its industry changes and observing the market over time. i have always been wary of consultancies who ‘scratch the surface’ of an industry and merely beautify and alter a product for change’s sake. When you have a few years behind you and see something that has been done before and you are being re-sold the same concept, it is a frustration to see the joy on the people’s faces who have not seen it before. (pop bands covering old classics springs to mind)
    id like to think any ‘aggressive’ nature could be substituted with the word ‘passionate’

• Jerryja says:

So are you saying that we should cut all of the careers that beautify and alter products? Wouldn’t that mean that one car company had a monopoly on the market and could suddenly charge millions of dollars for a car whose design would never change? Wouldn’t this mean that all graphic designers would be out of a job, since you can just reuse posters by changing information, reuse web site design, and product design would never change? We’re doing just fine where we are with the things we have, so why change anything, right Carl? After all, it’s all about function; so long as we can live our lives, who gives a rip about beauty?

• jin_woo_han says:

why dont you intruduce his fire-extinguisher on his site? It’s pretty nice!

• kyonhsu says:

簡單 又 環保 的好設計 !!

• J says:

for any piece of paper, pre-cut or not.

• KwangErn says:

Problem is, there’s a limit on the number of pages. Last time I tried it, it was around 5 sheets?

• Eric says:

True, but honestly for my needs, I rarely need to “staple” more than 2 sheets. I use it for home use though, I don’t work in an office or anything…

• james says:

To bind even more sheets, you guys can try this binding method.

• Martin Lewis says:

I am now a master of origami and economy!!

• janus says:

i used to do this in junior high, who cares about that though. Wooo.

• This is Great! I find my office using a large number of staples. This should save me some money! I will be putting this to use.

Thanks for the post!

• sianz says:

the problem with this design is that all your other pages except your ‘cover’ page/sheet needs to have that corner ‘clipped’ otherwise, you will not be able to slot that corner through.

this meant that you either need extra effort to deal with the 2 types of pages, or you need to buy 2 different types of page.

This is not a practical design. The reason why the stapler (or the propeller of a fan) has never been re-designed because there is nothing wrong with it.

It’s as useful as a non-chargeable solar powered torchlight.

• trent5145 says:

only paper!wonderful!

• robb says:

now how am i supposed to put a hole on the paper ?
    gotta buy special paper ?

• Annie says:

Less is more.
    That was wonderful!!

• Abby says:

The amount I have spent on staples in my entire lifetime might buy me a “nice” can of tomato soup.

• Morgan says:

I was taught this in elementary school 16 years ago and have used it ever since. Woo!

• Ema says:

There is a stapler that already does this….

• Che says:

Where can I get this papper!! lol

• Che says:

Where can I get this papper!! lol

• Maw says:

Yeah, it may work for a couple of pages, but what about 20, 30, or upwards of that?
    Staples are far more adaptable and durable than this method, which is by no means a new idea as a lot of these comments point out.

Innovation how?

• Maw says:

Innovation how?

• anon says:

The person who came up with this idea is probably a macfag. That would explain their idea of inovation.

• Derp says:

You’re implying that a stapler could infact puncture and hold, 30 pieces of paper…..

• alissa says:

i love this

• alissa says:

i love this

• Pearl says:

Thank you. I have learned something new, useful and will quietly impress others when putting together a proposal on the run.
    Awesome.

• Pearl says:

Awesome.

• godallmighty says:

kick start the economy? how about those millions of people losing their staple industry jobs : )

• godallmighty says:

• emily says:

and not only will you save money on staples, but also on notebooks!

• emily says:

and not only will you save money on staples, but also on notebooks!

• Scott says:

LETS KICK START THE COMPANY BY PUTTING THE STAPLE INDUSTRY OUT OF BUSINESS! YEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAA!

• Scott says:

• bucket van says:

That is a very cloever design 🙂

• bucket van says:

That is a very cloever design 🙂

• GreenMachine says:

“and POW! You are green. You are sooo green.”???

Amazing…Saving the world one staple at a time. How far have you gotten moving that mountain with your teaspoon?

What’s the carbon footprint of a staple? Cool concept, but this green stuff is killing me.

• WOW I BEEN LOOKING FOR A WAY TO KEEP SHEETS TOGETHER BUT THEY SIMPLY DON'T EVEN WHEN I TELL THEM TO. NOW IT'S NOT A PROBLEM ANYMORE!"!!! TV-shop news.. says:

WOW I BEEN LOOKING FOR A WAY TO KEEP SHEETS TOGETHER BUT THEY SIMPLY DON’T EVEN WHEN I TELL THEM TO. NOW IT’S NOT A PROBLEM ANYMORE!”!!! TV-shop news..

• Shapewear says:

So how do we create those slots again.

• Dave says:

really good idea!!! It’s not going to make a massive difference to the global carbon footprint, but it is greener than using staples none-the-less and any good designer should think ‘green’.