Birds Underwater and Fish That Fly?

I love this idea called Duplex. A stylish superstructure holds a fish tank on top of a birdcage. From our POV, it’s just an odd arrangement of two very separate environments but imagine what the birds and fish are thinking. I’m a little bird and every day of my life, I’ve come to accept water is in the sky and fish really do fly. And if I’m a fish, I’d find it confounding why these feathery neighbors seem to swim in an area of the water I just can’t get to. Gives new meaning to “bird’s eye view.”

Designer: Constance Guisset

• tiago says:

birds should never, EVER, be kept in a cage.

how about using your intelligence for the common good?

• Noah says:

You know what? You’re right, we should let all those expensive pet birds who can’t take care of themselves out into the world to die. Yep. Sounds good to me.

• MadCow says:

with that same logic, should we not keep the fish in bowls? just curious… and are you from PETA?

• danno says:

I hate to see caged birds, but love seeing the beauty of fish up close, but have never considered the similiar state of captivity!!
        thank u all 4 perplexing my conscience,

• Mowgli says:

thats true… birds in cages and fish in tanks is like prison…

• malecón says:

freedom for all!

“… Animals Are Not Ours to Use for Entertainment
    Animals Are Not Ours to Abuse in Any Way”

• birdlover says:

I’m not sure what the “common good” is supposed to mean. So much here is pretty indulgent.

Anyway, I used to keep parakeets and cages really aren’t cruel. They’re fantastic domestic animals just like dogs and cats. Also, cages are more like their homes than some kind of horrible prison. They can be let out for hours at a time. You just want to ensure they have a safe place and that you can confine them when the house door is open. A hawk would make a very short meal of a brightly colored bird.

• tiago says:

Maybe “common good” was not the best expression… my english is not good, sorry. But we have several ideas here that are more than a “gadget” or luxury (the chair-for-earthquakes was a recent one).

Unless you have rescue a wounded bird, to cage it is only, as you say, an indulgece. Birds and fishs need space to live, and confine them to small spaces is, in my personal opinion, cruel.

And in case anyone else ask: yes, I am against breed of dogs, and in favor of adoption.

• Jimmy C says:

The birds don't seem to think it's cruel, Tiago! Animals as pets are not being tortured, it's exactly the opposite. And hey, let's look past the animals and actually look at the DESIGN for once.

• malecón says:

freedom for all!

“… Animals Are Not Ours to Use for Entertainment
    Animals Are Not Ours to Abuse in Any Way”

• Eric says:

Poor birds, poor fishy’s, poor chickens, cows, pigs, veal, HUMANS maybe. List is endless unfortunately. The ONLY positive thing I see about pets is they stay alive in that cage. Anybody know how many animals died today? More than 1 I’ll say that for sure! Nothing stops death, but if we all act together at least we CAN end torture…

• danno says:

if a human tortured my felines ide hurt them ,
    if someone punched me ,ide punch them back,
    birds should be allowed 2 fly freely!,as you would want to fly if u could!!
    cats do their own thing,but still have love to give,may be selfish,
    or humanlike in their behaviour!!??
    dogs are lush but they need a proper human 2 b their pack leader ,or they just go nasty,
    Poor birds, poor fishy’s, poor chickens, cows, pigs, veal,all taste good !are sustainable,
    and are not in the real world domesticated!
    i dont agree with breeding of an animal for its looks
    still dont know where i stand on the fish thing,

• Eric says:

They do taste good, you will probably get ripped apart by someone on here though for that…

• danno says:

good job ive invented a vegetarian cure!!,
        called the methane powered meat catapult!!
        much love 2 all !! ps , i am jesting,and mean no offence,2 any 1!

• Ekka says:

Holy crap, people ….get over yourselves. Pets have been kept & used since man learned to domesticate.

Back on topic …I think the design is fantastic.

I’d own one.

• ZGiSH says:

Survival of the fittest. The world focuses on a self-hedonistic value. Not only that, they are giving a luxury. Not having to hunt and being fed quality food. As well as living without fear that they will be eaten.

• wooha says:

Nice prison…..
    @ekka
    Humans have slaughtered other people for ages. Lets keep on doing that! What a lame argument.
    Nice design though.

• kyc says:

despite what everyone seems to be preoccupied with, that being the fact the bird is caged…

the design of this is beautiful. absolutely gorgeous.

• Bob says:

I love the design but itdoesnt look very practicle
    Quite a few types of birds will chew away the wooden bars slowly destroying the beauty of the cage.
    And I kinda wander how I would keep the fish tank ontop clean specially the area that covers the top of the bird cage, birds will manage to poop agenst it and probally not to easy to change/clean the water since it looks quite high.

Over all I still love the design though hehe.

• Jessica says:

That’s a blue Pacific Parrotlet! Those little guys would probably spend a lot of energy trying to touch the fish.

• Nate says:

Beautiful design. However, fish are generally quite afraid of birds. Keeping them in such close quarters might cause stress/disease/death. I imagine it’d be like living over a bear pit for us. It is so cool looking though, they might remain calm:)

• xxblahxx says:

wow. that’s a whole new perspective. the water as a sky. 😀

• Well… Besides the “prision factor” or the “free birds ideas” this “design” is lame. It’s ugly, and never considered the pets’ health. As someone said above, they would be very stressed.

“But, we are humans, sc*** the animals! They are made to serve us.”

Right? :/

• Lily says:

YOU INVENTION IS BRILLIANT! I have a class assignment to come up with an invention… I would like to do something similar… BUT EVEN MORE BRILLIANT *MWAHAHA*… Just kidding :]Keep inventing! Use the minds God gave us!

• ilana says:

where can i buy this birdcage/fish bowl? is it in production? let me know! i love it!!
    thanks,
    ilana

• Guchan says:

Actually this is not a new idea, and all kind of fish need a good filter and a heater for stabilized water temperature. Anyway, I don’t like it.

• hartigan says:

You are all a bunch of hippies…

• ABF says:

i love this design <3
    but from where can i buy it?

• Autonomy says:

This is a great design and I like the irony of it. Too bad it had to turn into an ethical debate but some people do have a short attention span.

• Slim says:

I love it

where I can order it ??????????

• Slim says:

I love it

where I can order it ??????????

• m says:

most of ya’ll are idiots. birds see the cage as their home. I have had multiple birds over the years, and especially this parakeet– I’ll leave the cage door WIDE open ALL day, and after he eats, he’ll come out only to stand on top of his cage, fly around for a little, then he goes back to his cage and sleeps.
    are you saying our birds should be homeless? outside birds have trees, we have houses, birds bred for containment (who have no idea how to fend in the wild) have cages.

• m says:

• m says:

• m says:

I have had multiple birds over the years, and especially parakeet– I’ll leave the cage door WIDE open ALL day, and after he eats, he’ll come out only to stand on top of his cage, fly around for a little, then he goes back to his cage and sleeps.

• m says:

I leave the doorto my parakeets cage open all day. he’ll come out only to stand on top of his cage, fly around for a little, then he goes back to his cage and sleeps.

• m says:

I leave the doorto my parakeets cage open all day. he’ll come out only to stand on top of his cage, fly around, then he back to his cage and sleeps. outside birds have trees, we have houses, birds bred for containment (who have no idea how to fend in the wild) have cages.

• m says:

I leave the doorto my parakeets cage open all day. he’ll come out only to stand on top of his cage, fly around, then he back to his cage and sleeps. outside birds have trees, we have houses, pet birds have cages.

• Bea says:

Ugly Torture chamber for bird and fish alike.. if anybody I knew actually kept an animal in this condition for shallow art purpose.. I would call animal rights services.. Ugly plain and simple

• Silvia says:

Pretty design, but bad functionality for both the fish (no filter) and the parrotlet (wrong size for the perches, cages should have a lot greater width to allow flight, a parrotlet would chew the wood in NO TIME and break free)… With more work this could be transformed in something that could actually be used, right now it's inappropriate for both animals minimal comfort.

Nice concept, it could become something really nice with more thought and effort put into it.

• tommykay says:

I have owned several birds whose cage was left open 24 hrs a day. It stays in the cage because it’s cage is it’s home. Like your back yard for your dog or the tank for the fish. It’s much more about protecting them than keeping them in prison. Got a ten year old who never comes out of his room? Is it a cage? No, he wants to be there. Now about this design. Bird wise it’s okay, except you can’t see the bird. What’s the point of having one? Fish wise, this tank looks hard to clean. Your birds will want light, which will put algae all over this curved soft plastic. Guess what happens to a tall top-heavy thing with a small base that gets bumped? Bird on top fish on bottom makes more sense, stability wise. Bird and fish will like it better.