See Thru Iron

I’m all over this concept because of my fashion design background. The transparent B-IRON 725 makes getting those pesky wrinkles out and crisp creases in with ease. It takes the guess work out without sacrificing quality… or does it? The soleplate is made of tempered glass. Heat conduction works via a network of electro-thermal wires. Fascinating concept but as far as I know, stainless steel is the best material for pressing clothes. What do you guys think? Is glass feasible?

Designer: Dong-Seok Lee & Ji-Hyung Jung

• Carl says:

try ironing 30 shirts without steam on, and then a further 30 with steam. its no contest. The gimmick of its aesthetics is far lost through the lack of performance it would offer. (and if your retort is to say we will add a steam function, just think how crap it would look when the lime scale is visible) off you go Eric…

• Eric says:

Lol, I think it’s crap! 😉 I would not suggest they add steam to this either though because it was sort of the point to make it transparent. If we added a steam feature, there goes clarity for sure. I think irons are fine the way they are…

• Mark says:

Form over function here. Looks very nice, but if you buy an iron based on appearance only, you will have wrinkly shirts. I would rather look good dressed and have to hide my ugly iron from house guests.

• uli says:

Wow! this idea is awesome. Definitely want one. Don’t worry about what the haters have to say – they have very pessimistic imaginations – it’s easy enough to use a spray bottle and the ability to see what you’re ironing trumps everything! Awesome!

• fritz says:

Nice looking but the placement of the handle seems to make it useless. Try getting the tip of that thing into a tight spot AND iron it effectively.
    Also, it’s going to lose a lot of heat as the entire body is glass, very in-efficent.

• van Deursen says:

Lets see…awful ergonomics so you can’t press down…poor heat distrbution…no steam to relax the fibers…no point on the end to seperate out the material…no “button notches” (those little groves on the point of an iron to let you get around a button)…no Teflon coating to help it slide. Another GREAT ID!

• zippyflounder says:

well you guys make me feel proud, well reasoned responses. You need to ask the question “why has this not been done before”, if the answer is that the tech didnt exist then go ahead. If your answer is “well just because” then stop. Most products are end results of long evolutionary process that is for the most part consumer focused, mostly function and price.

• RY says:

This looks like an exerciser of form over function, so with that in mind… it looks very much inspired by the alessi vacuum designed by Stefano Giovanonni… so i think the handle needs to flow into the base more smoothly… see the product as one shape and not 2 shapes that just so happen to meet. i am curious to how long the handle is cause the proportions look great in the photos, but they all cut off the handle. full product shot pls..

• paslanmaz says:

Waauww supper designs 🙂

• jin_woo_han says:

I like it brother!! I always support you!

• Mark says:

I don’t think it’s a case of not being supportive or being a “hater”, it’s more supportive to give honest feedback than just say everything is great. Any designer should be looking for real, critical feedback on what they do, and considering the target market of this product (people who appreciate good looking products), they will probably be thinking the same things.

It looks great, and is presented very well, but the general idea here should be to make an unpleasant/boring job like ironing easier, not harder with prettier tools.

• Moe says:

Nice design but what I really need is a way to not iron.

• Lamah says:

This design has you covered then. You’ll never be able to iron anything with this piece of junk.

• yoya says:

Can it work?

• Carl says:

if the glass is used to conduct heat down onto the clothes, it appears there is a greate surface area of glass above the flat base, therefore more heat will be lost through the top of this product through convection.
    Also after ironing for over half an hour will the top part of this glass become very very hot?

my student just pointed out that the pressure point from the handle is directly above the heating element, thus pressing down onto the clothes. here if you push down you will pivot the iron rather than apply pressure onto the clothes. you will have to apply pressure at an angle here which would hurt your rist. (still it keeps your hand away from the red hot glass)

• Lynx says:

OMG, Love this product so much!!!

• KevvyBear!Rawr! says:

Wow that sounds pretty cool. Not seeing just quite how good you’re doing is probably the worst part of ironing.

• Mark says:

The clothes will always look good while pressed under a glass surface, whether the iron is actually working is only going to be apparent once the iron has passed over. I don’t think the iron being transparent serves a real function other than looking good, and I have never ironed my shirts thinking I was restricted by not being able to see directly under the iron, it’s not like you are holding it in the one place too long anyway.

• Jun says:

Not bad but I can design it better with steam!

• M.S.W. says:

Pros: Appearance factor would motivate someone to purchase on impulse buying. Good for quick touch ups on clothes. Would be good in hotel rooms for “wow factor” for guests.
    Cons: Could use improvement in making the glass design more sharper pointed to get to corners on certain clothes. Steam option would be a very good addition (as previously stated by others works much faster) although you would need to work out a method to either prevent or quickly disipate fog up for visiable clarity. The glass needs to have a nonstick treatment to the contact surface to prevent it sticking (since untreated surface is prone to buildup)

• jun hyerim says:

awesome !! ^-^

• Henrietta says:

I LOVE THIS! very innovative – forget the steam, it’s irrelevant here. i have been looking forever for a flat-soled iron. . . and guess where they make them – in China! because they must know you get a better effect with a spray bottle and a HOT flat iron!!! wish I could find a good hot flat iron here in USA. I also need to see what I’m ironing so I find this design charming and yes I would buy one.

• Jan says:

You all are thinking inside the box – what about a different market like quilting. I never use steam, I mist with a spray bottle or use starch. When fusing fabric the steam holes in most irons inhibit a complete contact fusing resulting in areas of fabric that are not fused. I have been looking for an iron with no holes and to be able to see through it as well … priceless but in actuality it would need to be reasonably priced.

• Stainless Steel Biscuit says:

The ergonomics are, to put it politely, very suspect. They seem to be based off a plastering trowel, which isn’t an especially thought out ergonomic product either.

And the trowel is designed to lift up, irons are used to move from side to side.

To press with this you have to angle it forward in a very awkward feeling way, whereas with existing iron designs you can use the more powerful muscles in your shoulders and elbows with no strain in the weaker muscles in the users’ wrists.

Lastly, where are the heat controls on this?

• M.S.W. says:

The handle reminds me of those illuminated shower heads.

• Kaspars says:

Can someone please give me any contacts for man who made those pictures? I work for a magazine and I really need higher res pictures.

• nanou3989 says:

voila un fer à repasser qui enchantera plus d’une femme!!!! et surtout qui donneras envie de repasser!!!!

• zylor says:

where can i order one?

• Ralph Zoontjens says:

Hm. This seems to be one of those ideas that you want to keep to yourself. On feasibility, this would be very hard to make partially because of the expansion and contraction of glass with temperature changes. Especially if the glass is in contact with other materials that have other coefficients of expansion, it might get damaged easily. But you know, maybe new materials are waiting around the corner to achieve this. I wonder if this idea is patented yet.

• It’s perfect time to make some plans for the
    onger term andd it is time to be happy. I have read this post
    and if I could I want to suggest you feew fascinafing
    things or advice. Maybe you could write subsequent articles referring to
    this article. I wish to learn ore issues approximately it!

• There is also the second side of the story, which is a bit more critical about the trend of US
    jobs outsourced to companies in developing countries.
    While Naphtha is not commonly discussed, it is a great alternative to butane and propane.
    Executive personal assistants help accomplish tasks efficiently.

This awesome online optical store sells authentic sunglasses
    from top brands at incredibly low prices. Another point to
    be considered here is that the local businesses
    know the target customers better than multi
    national companies, as they have their roots here in this county of Florida
    and thereby know the people and the tourists of this place
    better. Functional and striking, track lighting fixtures can be found
    in different shapes and sizes according to your choices and needs, from ultra modern to
    that which resembles turn-of-the century, any style to fit any dcor.

To overcome these difficulties and to allow businesses to focus on their core
    business, managed storage services are becoming increasingly popular as a cost effective solutions and a great
    alternative to traditional storage management. Moving on to the hood, make sure you have your can of
    white lithium grease spray handy along with a clean piece of cloth or rag.
    These containers permit customers place documents to be destroyed directly into this sort of cartons.
    15 meters) long, and might be open ended, open sided, open topped,
    half height, flat racked, refrigerated, liquid built (tank), modular or
    even for standard dry cargo.

• Mel says:

This would be great on a small scale for quilters. If they need steam, a misting spray bottle will suffice.

• Mel says:

A small one of these would be great for quilters. If they need steam, a misting spray bottle will suffice.