New Mac Mini Concept, OMG It’s not Boxed Shaped!

With rumors of a new Mac Mini on the horizon, designer Sait Alanyali, a proud Mac Mini user, decided to throw in his 2 cents. One of his gripes with the current machine are the I/O ports. It’s a pain to plug things in/out and so the “V” shape brings the ports within reach while keeping cables at bay. The shape also improves cooling as air moves freely thru the heatsink now that it’s not sitting on a flat surface.

Hard drives are hot swappable with one 2.5″ one installed and an empty slot to use at your leisure. There’s one HDMI port for you multimedia junkies and say bye bye to the power brick because this one has it neatly tucked inside. One last new feature is the embedded logo display. There’s a sensor inside that detects its orientation making sure the logo always faces up. Brills!

Designer: Sait Alanyali

• fg says:

odd how the mac logo flips around in every product shot… not feasable

• quarktasche says:

• fg says:

odd how the mac logo flips around in every product shot… not feasable

• quarktasche says:

• Ian says:

While not the nicest/Apple design, Everything seems to have been thought through which is really great. But after reading his site, he only spent a week on it. You can't expect any good design from one weeks worth of work.

• Ian says:

• Brian says:

Yes, you can expect good design from one weeks worth of work – it's called the real world for a designer in consulting. Yes, it'd be great if we were given weeks or months to conceptualize but the reality doesn't support that. Good design evolves from open communications with all players in the production cycle and not from one individual sketch.

As for the concept, definitely not Apple looking and is generally poorly thought out. How would this be packaged for sale? I'm also not sure I understand this brings the ports into easier reach – you still have to lift up the body just to get at them. I also don't like the cords taking up more desk space by routing them along the sides instead of back – maybe you would have thought of that with more than a week to work on it.

• pketh says:

He actually does show the packaging and it's in pretty neat L boxes and interlock like tetris pieces with each other. Even disregarding the small time frame, I think it's a really cool design, and I guess because of the exposed fans and too many hard lines and grills it's not v. apple feeling. But it's still a really cool idea or even a base I'd hope they work off of to offer something unique .

Good job Sait!

• statan says:

I don't understand why this one could be better than the real mac mini.

i'm not sure that's a good design.

• Brian says:

• pketh says:

Good job Sait!

• statan says:

I don't understand why this one could be better than the real mac mini.
      i'm not sure that's a good design.

• Keith says:

Forcing the hot air out of the bottom of the legs is highly inefficient. Why not use natural convection to help you out.

• Keith says:

• azbuka says:

Cool! but i not understand, why he large. sorry. bad english.

• azbuka says:

Cool! but i not understand, why he large. sorry. bad english.

• Ekove says:

Which way is it gonna face? it seems hard to me to fit all the wires to their ports (eg USB) when it's at it's flipped "V" position, but if it's at it's L position, doesn't it really just make the whole design pointless because it'd look regular if not stupid?

• Ekove says:

Which way is it gonna face? it seems hard to me to fit all the wires to their ports (eg USB) when it's at it's flipped “V” position, but if it's at it's L position, doesn't it really just make the whole design pointless because it'd look regular if not stupid?

• powers says:

Aluminum.

Not box shaped? Isn't that half a box/2 boxes glued together at the corners?

• powers says:

Aluminum.

Not box shaped? Isn't that half a box/2 boxes glued together at the corners?

• salanyali says:

I knew when I put the Apple logo on this design, I'd get some rough comments 🙂 I'll try to give some answers if I can.

First of all, I'm a huge Apple fan, I love them. And specially I'm not trying to copy or suggest a design. I'm not saying my design is better than the current Mac Mini design. I've been using my Mac Mini 7/24 for the last 5-6 years and as a very devoted customer I think I have the right to say what is right or what is wrong 'for me' with the actual design. With the Macworld coming up and the new mac mini rumors around, I thought, why not design my own kind of mac mini? It'd be fun! The whole process took approximately a week, because designing concept computers is not my job -it's just for fun and learning- and If I'd spent 2-3 months and submitted the new mac mini design after the new one, it would be just cheating 🙂 I'd be very very inspired after I saw the new one. So, yes, it'd be much much better If I'd spent more than a week on this concept, but it's pretty detailed for a week's job with all the price, size, dimensions, heating, etc. research.

For the port reaching problem, the V shape has the advantage of putting your hand&fingers from both sides and especially 'seeing' them while you plug-in the cables or sticks. If your desk arrangement doesn't allow it, you can lift the front and see the ports. You can not do this with the actual design. With the actual mac mini, while it's a great product, I can't see the USB ports when I try to plug a usb device. I'd always have to check the direction of the port, the cable, feel the port, try to plug it. And because I'm a very tidy person, I don't like the cable mess on or under my table so I hide them, tie them, then if I want to pull the mini a little bit closer, some cables unplug with the tension and I have a problem. With the ports facing front, this accident can not happen.

I got some advice from some electronic and computer engineer friends and an Apple expert friend during the process. The HDMI port, the extra HDD, power brick inside, all of them are for pushing some limits and trying to be different. They could be done or not, if you like we can discuss it and we all would learn something. But don't do the 'this is crap, you idiot, this is useless, pointless design' , please 🙂 I'd love to see more and more concepts about mac mini and learn from them.

The packaging is in the video. It's easy to manufacture, minimal and stackable.

The design is not totally Apple looking because I didn't want it to be a total Apple copycat. If I made it boxed shaped, than a lot people say, the same old boring box shaped Apple design, so what's new with you? 🙂

Again, it's not 'better' than the current design. It's 'better for me' than the current design. It's just a concept, a visual expression of my imagination and my experiences with the product. Thanks for all the comments…

• salanyali says:

The packaging is in the video. It's easy to manufacture, minimal and stackable.

• mattia says:

graet…really…wish to see…

• mattia says:

graet…really…wish to see…

• says says:

That did cross my mind.

• 小素 says:

很好,很希望自己都可以成为以为出色嘎设计师!

• 小素 says:

很好,很希望自己都可以成为以为出色嘎设计师!

• Yasser Khan says:

I actually like how you took one week to come up with a potential updated look for the Mac Mini. I'm a BIIIG fan of it and I would love to see it updated.

I guess the one qualm I have is with the vents that dissipate the heat. Why have it at the ends when you could put it close to the edge and they face upwards? Heat is lighter and it'll be quicker for it to leave the machine. If this is done in a whole aluminum body (unibody enclosure anyone?), then that will help to keep it cool.

Also, it would be nice if Apple were to add 128MB of dedicated VRAm to the 9400M and allow an extra 128 MB to be shared from physical memory. Maybe they might improve it even further since they took what NVIDIA offered them and had it custom-designed for the MacBooks (This was mentioned in a similar manner in the video about the unibody on Apple.com).

Having the Superdrive along with a HD and an extra slot for a HD does make it an enticing purchase.

Overall, great work coming up with a mock-up!!!

• salanyali says:

Thanks, glad you liked it 🙂

This is a multi-position computer concept. So, it does not stay like the flipped V position all the time. It also has vertical and horizontal positions. So I thought of all the positions and come with the best airflow design I could. If you use it horizontal or vertical, then the heat rises by itself, fan and the heat sink. But if you use it like this, it doesn't? It does because of two reasons. 1- There's a heat sink -you can see in the video- that canalizes the air to the air holes. 2- This is a very very small computer, if it was an Mac Pro, the heat rises rule would be considered but this is smaller than the actual mac mini, the fan and the heat sink could easily dissipate the heat.

I imagined this concept had 9400 in it, because graphics is a disadvantage for me in the mac mini. I hope we'll see it in the new mac mini.

Some people ask me why this shape? First reason is the multi-positioning. I love to have options with my devices. Second, there's an extra HDD slot, but most importantly, the power adapter is inside! I hope it'll be one of the features in the new generation.

Thanks again 🙂

• Yasser Khan says:

Overall, great work coming up with a mock-up!!!

• dakar8 says:

I have seen this exact design from a concept computer several years ago, so if you dint outright steal it its been done before in working form.

• dakar8 says:

• salanyali says:

Thanks, glad you liked it 🙂

Thanks again 🙂

• salanyali says:

Some people wanted a mac with a lot of media features. Speakers, iPod dock, powerful mahine but not like Mac Pro.

The aluminum enclosure and the grey-black look matches the new Apple products. Here it is:

• salanyali says: