Flat Lightbulb Solves all Thomas Edison’s Problems with Two Cuts

When I think of light bulbs, I think of how hot they are, how they give me light at night, and how easy they are to break! From Joonhuyn Kim, displayed at the 2008 100% Design Tokyo, here is “Flat Bulb.” Better for stacking and shipping, no rolling away on you, and the best: aesthetically ironic. Simply fantastic!

But why not make a bulb with a whacky new shape, you may ask? Well, let me tell you, we discussed this sort of thing way back a few weeks ago when we spoke about the [LED Light Bulb]; at length. The truth of the matter is: light bulbs that are innovative, cheap, energy efficient, and every wonderful thing you can imagine, still sells less units than the bulbs with the classic light bulb shape, by a lot!

So, lets see if a certain blue-and-yellow Swedish “home products retailer” picks this design up so I can just hop on over to the Mall of America and pick one up! Or better yet, a bunch.

EDIT: Originally this post was titled “Flat Lightbulb Solves all Benjamin Franklin’s Problems with Two Cuts” until our friendly Jason told me that it makes much more sense to use the inventor of the light bulb for the title, not the harnesser of electricity. Thus Thomas Edison replaces ol’ Ben.

Designer: Joonhuyn Kim [ Via Gizmodo & Designboom ]

• paul sandip says:

how does it fit into normal bulb holders?

• Christine says:

i think as long as it has width/length that normal sized bulb, it can fit to be in place but probably have gaps on the side. like signal key for power outlets on architectural drawing.

• ahmad says:

You only need the sides, the other half of the circle turns in the air, but the other half is all you need, this is a genious idea.

• paul sandip says:

how does it fit into normal bulb holders?

• StanJoukIsHot says:

looks good tho..

• StanJoukIsHot says:

looks good tho..

• Shane says:

it fits in just fine. it's a partial thread is all.

• Shane says:

it fits in just fine. it's a partial thread is all.

• zippyflounder says:

now if the lauded frog had done that with their LED lamp, I would be impressed, but noooooooooo same form factor and some sprinkles on top.

• zippyflounder says:

• Armin says:

cheap gimmick.

Also production costs might be greater…

• Armin says:

cheap gimmick.

Also production costs might be greater…

• Filippo says:

I think the main problem is in the glass, too thin, and too close to the filament.. being a incandescence bulb the very high temperatures will break it..

• Filippo says:

• B A says:

What problems does this solve exactly, other than a desire for "design" masturbation?

Incandescent tungsten-based bulbs are inefficent and should be left to die.

crap.

• Looneydoo says:

I would have agreed with you if the motto of the website hadn't been "form beyond function"

Not that I advocate the product, but it's interesting to look at it. Sometimes you need stuff like these to have a fresh approach.

• ahmad says:

It serves packaging and transportation needs, can you imagine how much they'll save on transportation space? They can now fit around 3 bulbs where they used to fit one. And it doesn't matter if the filament is to close to the glass, it's probably a better glass, they certainly must of thought about it when they desined the concept. I personally think it's a great idea.

• B A says:

What problems does this solve exactly, other than a desire for “design” masturbation?

Incandescent tungsten-based bulbs are inefficent and should be left to die.

crap.

• Looneydoo says:

I would have agreed with you if the motto of the website hadn't been “form beyond function”

• Conall says:

Neglecting all else, I've got to say this bulb looks pretty dang cool (of course it wouldn't if it was seen all over the place), but it definitely caught my eye. Now I'd like to see cool new lamps designed around this, unfortunately sticking to the "screw in" style bulb means the lamp will need to provide space to spin the bulbs in and out.

• Victor says:

"the lamp will need to provide space to spin the bulbs in and out."

Not necessarily… I can think of one or two ways of inserting and removing without spinning it.

• Conall says:

Neglecting all else, I've got to say this bulb looks pretty dang cool (of course it wouldn't if it was seen all over the place), but it definitely caught my eye. Now I'd like to see cool new lamps designed around this, unfortunately sticking to the “screw in” style bulb means the lamp will need to provide space to spin the bulbs in and out.

” target=”_blank”>http://www.chickenmonkeydog.com

• Henrique Staino says:

De facto, incandescent bulbs aren´t efficient, and shouldn't deserve our time. But this is an interesting idea, that can be used in future forms of bulbs.

Now, think with me: the two flat surfaces generate two edges on the glass.. Don't those edges interfere with the lighting? Because if I can remember, old car lights used the same logic to deflect the light from the eyes of the other driver.

• Henrique Staino says:

De facto, incandescent bulbs arent efficient, and shouldn't deserve our time. But this is an interesting idea, that can be used in future forms of bulbs.

• Jerome says:

first of all, the glass seems thicker then normal bulbs, it won't break or melt the glass.

secondo, You can fit more bulb in a box then normal bulb. Think about it, side by side you fit ~6 of them instead of only 2! That save cartboard 😛

It won't roll and fall on the floor when you put them on the table

it is a gimmick and I love it

it has potentiel!

ps- I just realise that everything I said was already said in the fisrt line of the article. It simply prove that I don't read and only look at pictures!

• Jerome says:

It won't roll and fall on the floor when you put them on the table

it is a gimmick and I love it

it has potentiel!

• Carl says:

in the uk it has already been anounced that these lamps are being phased out.. investing in this idea would be like backing a lame horse..! next time try this approach with a product in its infancy..!

• Carl says:

• zuy says:

great comments !!!

• zuy says:

great comments !!!

• SlicedBread says:

Although this design my at first look dramatic and asethetically unusual, I feel the idea of designing a product to increase the sales of incandescent light bulbs is madness for any designer in todays world. They are extremely inefficient and we should be designing to irradicate them.

• SlicedBread says:

• Victor says:

“the lamp will need to provide space to spin the bulbs in and out.”

• Christine says:

• ahmad says:

• ahmad says:

• ahmad says:

What's wrong with them??

• Eric says:

Amazing idea, get rid of crap round ones and replace it with these now! We can convert them to better LED tech later, get people buying them now! Ingenious.

• Eric says:

• Munwar Khan says:

Looking really great… but (after "but" there is always main thing).. It is like same old dead body in new coffin… Just leave it.It is dead…

• Munwar Khan says:

Looking really great… but (after “but” there is always main thing).. It is like same old dead body in new coffin… Just leave it.It is dead…

• powers says:

yeah, good call.

• Jeff says:

Thomas Edison didn't invent the light bulb. He invented the incandescent light bulb by using tungsten as the filament.

• Eric says:

There is kind of a discrepancy in saying that…
      To explain: You are correct to say he discovered a more efficient method by using tungsten. Yes the “electric light” was conceived before him, but nobody encased it in an oxygen free glass bulb. Hence the term “light bulb.” So he did invent the light bulb, but not the electric light. Humphry Davy invented the electric light… Understand the difference?

• Jeff says:

• HackOblog says:

Joseph swan invented the light bulb not Thomas Edison’s

• Chris says:

But Thomas Jefferson is more well known for “inventing” it most people do not even know who Swan is i have only heard his name mentioned a few times myself most by my science teachers who were correcting the books

• HackOblog says:

Its all about country of origin I'm from the UK so I got told Joseph Swan , its the same with TV Paul Schatzkin or John Logie Baird.

• riarunde says:

Edison didn't invent the lightbulb either, it was Joseph Swan of Newcastle, England

• riarunde says:

• Brandon says:

Humphry Davy invented the light bulb.

• Brandon says:

Humphry Davy invented the light bulb.

• Mike says:

Of course – only americans think Edison invented the light bulb….

• chilla says:

Damnit I see your point, but next time use a reliable source

• c bah says:

I hate the arrogance of Europe and how they think Americans consistently believe they made everything

• Mike says:

Of course – only americans think Edison invented the light bulb….

• chilla says:

Damnit I see your point, but next time use a reliable source

• c bah says:

• Steve says:

What's so ironic about this lightbulb's aesthetics?

• Steve says:

What's so ironic about this lightbulb's aesthetics?

• kirk says: