Nike Hindsight Gives You Unparalleled Vision

The urban jungle isn’t exactly the safest place for bicyclists. You need the right tools to keep you one step ahead of irresponsible motorists. The Nike Hindsight gives you superhuman like powers with extended peripheral vision so all those sneaky cars, beware.

They work similar to bifocals except for your peripheral vision. By using fresnel lenses on both sides of the glasses, riders can detect motion in a field of view beyond the normal human limit of 180º. If you want to get technical about it; high power, diverging fresnel zones aligned vertically distort into view an extra 25º on both sides. Vision is radically distorted in the periphery, but as the eye detects only motion in that area, little clarity is lost in the process.

A rider’s clear benefit is in the early warning of approaching vehicles, but a less obvious advantage is reducing the necessary head rotation to check behind. Tho it was intended for bicyclists, there’s a myriad of sports and activities where a greater field of view becomes an advantage. As for me, I would totally wear these 24/7 to keep this one particular friend in check. He finds it funny sneaking up on me. My nerves are shattered enough. I can’t take it anymore. I need these shades.

Designer: Billy May

• slash says:

This has a limited market. I think the brain could adjust to the peripheral distortion but not to the depth distortion. It would be an advantage when a risk approaches from the side. A tenth of a second heads-up would be beneficial. I could imagine me wearing them while biking or walking on a roadway, walking or biking on a bike/walking trail, or working on a roadway such as a flagman.

• HI Billy,
    nice idea indeed. please note that you're infringing an existing patent, which owns by my company. don't say you didn't know!!

• Slash says:

Who are you? What is the patent number? I think you are lying. It is up to you to show the proof. I would advice you to do your communication using a lawyer and not via a forum. You may be treading on the grounds of slander or libel.

• Hi, I don't know who you're. but, i suggest you use better talking style. my lawyers will start working on that.
    but, you should know that this is a DIRECT INFRINGMENT of an existing patent. don't say you didn't know. and if you're so eager to know, you can find all details on the net.

• Slash says:

Again the same questions, who are you? What is the patent number? Your use of “ad hominem” does not bolster your argument. You still haven't convinced me that this is an infringement of any existing. And don't bother saying “don't say I don't know.” What is that all about? Repeating a claim over and over is not evidence.
    BTW. I am having fun playing your silly game.

• Slash,

or what ever your name is. my email is: david@widezon.com. i'm a CEO of company which generate milions of USD a year from licensing our IP, which is related to expanding human peripheral vision. when I'll find out you're not a child, i'll bother talking to you with higher levels, and with details.
      not through CHAT.
      cheers….

• slash says:

David,
    You began the claim. Non-sequitur arguments do not answer the question. WHAT IS THE PATENT NUMBER? If you have a good reason to not give the patent number I will accept that. The patent number is not dependent of my age. I stand by my 1st comment. Prove me wrong.
    Thank you for the debate.
    Slash
    You can find my real name in the local phone book.

• nizan says:

Hi, i think this excelent!! Does anybody know were can i find this glasses to buy ??

• screena says:

i would love these!!!!!

• cancer says:

Even though my own english isn't perfect yet I grasped the article perfectly.

• Just what exactly may happen.

• romeo says:

Gentili signori,
    sarei intenzionato all'aquisto dei vostri occhiali con specchio retrovisore per uso sportivo,bicicletta.
    Per favore mi invii le modalit per avere i vostri occhiali.
    Per il momento ne aquisto un paio per prova in seguito, ne ordiner una decina di paia.
    Distinti saluti

• Oracool13 says:

Tho is not a word. However, though is.

• Chris Fay says:

They already exist; they have been for sale in some shops in Ireland since the early 90's

• matrix says:

I hate designers!

They think they've got everything worked out. As long as a product looks good and they can knock up some fancy 3D renderings then nothing else matters.

I've got news for you my friend; THE TECHNOLOGY TO MAKE THIS THING DOESN'T EXIST! STAMPING A RANDOM BRAND NAME ON IT WILL NOT CHANGE THAT!

• adam says:

so people are only suppose to design products that use technology that already exists? I can tell you are not a designer and obviously someone with very little vision or creativity. Yes there are very many ideas on this site that are not very well thought out, but I think the point of this site and sites like it are to provide an arena for people to share their creative projects and ideas. If I had a project that every detail was thought out and all design and production issues where addressed and resolved , and I was ready to go into final tooling, why would I put it up here? I would not need any feedback on the project or help working out a design flaw. I would just be putting myself in a position for someone like you to steal my idea and hard work and try to beat me to market. NO THANKS. The internet (including this site) have been a great tool for people to share rough ideas or concepts and get constructive feedback, and I feel that whether the idea is great or even if is sucks and needs a lot of work, a negative comment like yours with no suggestions for improvement is totally pointless and probably detrimental to overall design development.

• Concerned says:

Gosh. You'd think something as simple as googling "Fresnel lens" before posting such an ignoramus comment would be easier for an internet user. It's actually just using fairly old technology in a new way. Ugh… the comments on the internet keep getting dumber. Anyone agree?

• CaptainBaconMan says:

You are an idiot, it even gives the name of said technology.

A Fresnel lens.
      This cutting edge technology was invented as soon as 200 years ago.

• matrix says:

I hate designers!

• adam says:

• Concerned says:

Gosh. You'd think something as simple as googling “Fresnel lens” before posting such an ignoramus comment would be easier for an internet user. It's actually just using fairly old technology in a new way. Ugh… the comments on the internet keep getting dumber. Anyone agree?

• CaptainBaconMan says:

You are an idiot, it even gives the name of said technology.

A Fresnel lens.
      This cutting edge technology was invented as soon as 200 years ago.

• Sgt. Asskick says:

Are stupid?
    The tech most assuredly does exist.
    All these glasses do is warp the edge of your peripheral vision with reflective plastic.
    Essentially bending what you see like a curved mirror.
    You sir are nothing more than a monkey.

• Sgt. Asskick says:

Are stupid?
    The tech most assuredly does exist.
    Essentially bending what you see like a curved mirror.
    You sir are nothing more than a monkey.

• tazmetal says:

Being an Optical Engineer, I have to agree with the Sgt. He hit the nail on the head.

• Drew says:

"Designer: Billy May"
    BILLY MAY HERE WITH ANOTHER FANTASTIC PRODUCT!

I like the idea but concepts aren't worth anything without a plan to execute… Also, the biker in the example picture is about to get hit by that car whether he sees it or not.

• Drew says:

“Designer: Billy May”
    BILLY MAY HERE WITH ANOTHER FANTASTIC PRODUCT!

• Anonymous says:

The technology to make these simply doesn't exist. The designer is just slapping a brand on a dream.
    It annoys me that all I see on this site these days is garbage like this with its head in the clouds. I want something with substance, dammit!

• Anonymous says:

• Nick says:

Actually, you could imitate the effect with a lightly coated mirror on the inside of the glasses.

• Nick says:

• Anonymous says:

Those who put their heads among the clouds can often see the farthest.

• lannen says:

of clouds.
      not that I think this is fake, I just felt like saying this. I thought it was at least a little bit funny, even if not enough to warrant much of a response.

• Anonymous says:

Those who put their heads among the clouds can often see the farthest.

• lannen says:

of clouds.

• comdct says:

Even if it works it will take a long time to get used to it. At least in the short term it may do more harm than good.

• comdct says:

• daden says:

no, it won't take a long time to get used to it. your brain adjusts quickly to changes in perception. A graduate student at my university constructed a headset to turn the users vision upside down, as well as a number of other perceptual changes. It only took the participants in his experiments a matter of minutes to walk around and interact with their environment.

• akronymn says:

It only took a matter of minutes before the subject wasn't completely disoriented. It took 3 days before they were fully adjusted whilst having their vision inverted 24/7. Using these glasses intermittently would most definitely take a fair bit of time to get used to. In the long run though, it seems like it would most certainly be worth the patience and extra caution necessary.

• daden says:

• akronymn says:

• Stutz says:

As a responsible motorist, I need a version that will help me to see all the irresponsible bicyclists that dart through traffic, pass me on the right at 30 mph, and never stop at red lights or stop signs.

• 80s says:

This ^
      I walk to work and when idiot cyclists aren't (illegally) silently speeding along the pavement nearly knocking me over, they're using pedestrian crossings to avoid red lights or simply ignoring red lights all together. And these aren't kids, these are people that look like responsible adults, helmets, hi-vis jackets and all. Every single day I see at least one cyclist who'll likely end up dead or injured at some point through their own flouting of road laws. I have no sympathy, just as I have no sympathy for the cocks in Audis and BMWs who get their skulls wrapped around trees because of their stupidity.

• DreamPhreak says:

Thats happened to me too. On my way to college in evening classes, with the sun facing directly into the front window of my car, i was unable to see the road, or barely. I was driving cautiously, and was passing through a green light. While disoriented from the blinding sunlight in my face (sunglasses or the sun visor down didnt help at all), i looked to the right of the car, and there was a cyclist right there, about a foot away from the car in the middle of the road.

Long story short: He was trying to pass cars from the walkway by ignoring the "Do not walk" light, almost getting himself into an accident, and then from being in the middle of the road, he could have gotten run over from all the other cars around me.

• Stutz says:

• 80s says:

This ^

• DreamPhreak says:

Long story short: He was trying to pass cars from the walkway by ignoring the “Do not walk” light, almost getting himself into an accident, and then from being in the middle of the road, he could have gotten run over from all the other cars around me.

• Ken says:

Anything that improves safety for cyclists is a plus

• Ken says:

Anything that improves safety for cyclists is a plus

• Why dont they make a motorcycle helmet visor with this technology, this would help save lives when implemented on helmets.