Nike Hindsight Gives You Unparalleled Vision

The urban jungle isn’t exactly the safest place for bicyclists. You need the right tools to keep you one step ahead of irresponsible motorists. The Nike Hindsight gives you superhuman like powers with extended peripheral vision so all those sneaky cars, beware.

They work similar to bifocals except for your peripheral vision. By using fresnel lenses on both sides of the glasses, riders can detect motion in a field of view beyond the normal human limit of 180º. If you want to get technical about it; high power, diverging fresnel zones aligned vertically distort into view an extra 25º on both sides. Vision is radically distorted in the periphery, but as the eye detects only motion in that area, little clarity is lost in the process.

A rider’s clear benefit is in the early warning of approaching vehicles, but a less obvious advantage is reducing the necessary head rotation to check behind. Tho it was intended for bicyclists, there’s a myriad of sports and activities where a greater field of view becomes an advantage. As for me, I would totally wear these 24/7 to keep this one particular friend in check. He finds it funny sneaking up on me. My nerves are shattered enough. I can’t take it anymore. I need these shades.

Designer: Billy May

• RememberMe says:

Seems to me that some glasses actually reflect what's behind you, but there needs to be light…

All in all, cool idea, but a waste of money for now. It would be much cooler if there was a darn add-on thing to clip to your prescription glasses to give more bbwd-vision, but oh, well.

• SEBASTIAN says:

helo, im is studend of unibesity Buenos Aires Argentina, I want to know that lens is the one that they use and if it she generates lateral aberrations.

sebastian

• SEBASTIAN says:

sebastian

• sabik7 says:

Note to self: Do not go cycling in traffic.

• sabik7 says:

Note to self: Do not go cycling in traffic.

• Chris2046 says:

Nice idea. hope I got enough time to aviod the crash

• Chris2046 says:

Nice idea. hope I got enough time to aviod the crash

• They should utilize this in Motorcycle helmets.

• They should utilize this in Motorcycle helmets.

• Clive says:

Hmmmm – nice idea however….

….no use to spectacle wearers

….turning your head to check behind serves not just one but three purposes:

1. …obviously, to see what's coming.

2. …and just as importantly, to tell other road users that you intend to make a change of direction

3. to make eye-contact with other road users to gain their co-operation.

There is also a psychological effect when a cyclist turns to face drivers – the cyclist ceases to be just an "obstacle" and becomes a real person, drivers tend to behave less agressively.

The above is why I wouldn't even consider fitting a mirror to a bike or buying one of those clever helmets with a built-in mirror.

Having said all that, anything that improves all-round vision has got to be good provided it doesn't replace the old-fashioned but very effective "life-saver" look – and they could be very useful for car drivers to open up the blind spot.

• Clive says:

Hmmmm – nice idea however….

….no use to spectacle wearers

….turning your head to check behind serves not just one but three purposes:

1. …obviously, to see what's coming.
    3. to make eye-contact with other road users to gain their co-operation.

There is also a psychological effect when a cyclist turns to face drivers – the cyclist ceases to be just an “obstacle” and becomes a real person, drivers tend to behave less agressively.

Having said all that, anything that improves all-round vision has got to be good provided it doesn't replace the old-fashioned but very effective “life-saver” look – and they could be very useful for car drivers to open up the blind spot.

• JC says:

You do not understand how glasses work. These work on the principle of refraction, not reflection. These are definitely not a waste of money, it's a brilliant idea and quite a technical accomplishment.

• jeff says:

contacts

• Canada rocks says:

Come on here people although I am no genius why does everyone say no use to people who where glasses?

I have -4.00 sight in both eyes never ever where glasses I only where contact lenses.

I also enjoy my oakly sun glass and where goggles while snowboarding or swimming goggles while swimming.

If you want to wear sport glasses get contacts 37.50 for 3 months and that is a fairly good brand.

• Canada rocks says:

• Canada rocks says:

wear** wow thats bad

• Canada rocks says:

wear** wow thats bad

• Phil E. Drifter says:

Too bad it doesn't live up to the name. It doesn't let you see behind you, it lets you see further to the sides. Should be called the Nike sidesight.

Stumbled here, thumbs down.

• Phil E. Drifter says:

Stumbled here, thumbs down.

• bryan says:

get lasik

• zar says:

2 set of side-view mirrors attached on your bike handle would resolve this issue. Under $20 you have got almost 360 degree vision.

• zar says:

• Pingback: @santa
  • phred says:

Since nobody else has brought it up… A road cyclist in the drops (lower portion of the handlebars), or any cyclist exerting a strong effort, likely has his head down and has to "look up" to see the horizon. The way these specs apparently work, if your head is tilted downward, the "wide angle view" beyond the 180 degrees you already have will be looking behind AND UP. This wide-angle concept is better suited to pedestrians, drivers, and only the most upright (read: slow) of cyclists.

For what it's worth, both times I've been hit by cars while riding, I saw the vehicle coming from the moment it started turning into my path, but there wasn't enough space to avoid. Okay, there was one time I got tapped from behind at a stop light, but there was no damage so that doesn't count.

• phred says:

Followup to last post: Forgot to mention you also have your hearing to warn you of vehicles approaching from the side. I see enough iPod-wearing cyclists out there, though, I suppose Nike thinks this is an untapped market.

• phred says:

Since nobody else has brought it up… A road cyclist in the drops (lower portion of the handlebars), or any cyclist exerting a strong effort, likely has his head down and has to “look up” to see the horizon. The way these specs apparently work, if your head is tilted downward, the “wide angle view” beyond the 180 degrees you already have will be looking behind AND UP. This wide-angle concept is better suited to pedestrians, drivers, and only the most upright (read: slow) of cyclists.

• phred says:

• GeminiChristmas says:

Yeah, well you should not wear headphones while going down busy roads. but clear roads around 25 mph is fine if you keep going the same speed. wear helmet.

• GeminiChristmas says:

• VALERI says:

haha itts like those ditective glasses from when u were a kid with the mirrors on the sides

• VALERI says:

• Scott says:

This is really cool…I want!

• Scott says:

This is really cool…I want!

• Babak says:

I still didn't understand if you can purchase this glasses or not?!?!?! If you can where or how can you get them?!?!?!?

• Babak says:

• glanec says:

I need big photos of this…. realy

• glanec says:

I need big photos of this…. realy

• Frenchmanwhospeaksen says:

Sell it to the army, so the soldiers can see the enemy sooner,

A REAL lifesaver

• Frenchmanwhospeaksen says:

Sell it to the army, so the soldiers can see the enemy sooner,
    A REAL lifesaver

• slash says:

This has a limited market. I think the brain could adjust to the peripheral distortion but not to the depth distortion. It would be an advantage when a risk approaches from the side. A tenth of a second heads-up would be beneficial. I could imagine me wearing them while biking or walking on a roadway, walking or biking on a bike/walking trail, or working on a roadway such as a flagman.