Nike Hindsight Gives You Unparalleled Vision

The urban jungle isn’t exactly the safest place for bicyclists. You need the right tools to keep you one step ahead of irresponsible motorists. The Nike Hindsight gives you superhuman like powers with extended peripheral vision so all those sneaky cars, beware.

They work similar to bifocals except for your peripheral vision. By using fresnel lenses on both sides of the glasses, riders can detect motion in a field of view beyond the normal human limit of 180º. If you want to get technical about it; high power, diverging fresnel zones aligned vertically distort into view an extra 25º on both sides. Vision is radically distorted in the periphery, but as the eye detects only motion in that area, little clarity is lost in the process.

A rider’s clear benefit is in the early warning of approaching vehicles, but a less obvious advantage is reducing the necessary head rotation to check behind. Tho it was intended for bicyclists, there’s a myriad of sports and activities where a greater field of view becomes an advantage. As for me, I would totally wear these 24/7 to keep this one particular friend in check. He finds it funny sneaking up on me. My nerves are shattered enough. I can’t take it anymore. I need these shades.

Designer: Billy May

• Ja says:

sounds like it would require some getting used to but is a dam good idea!

• julia says:

what always enjoys me with these things is, that people who need to wear glasses can not enjoy the benefits.

• lb says:

i aggree with u

• RememberMe says:

Seems to me that some glasses actually reflect what's behind you, but there needs to be light…

All in all, cool idea, but a waste of money for now. It would be much cooler if there was a darn add-on thing to clip to your prescription glasses to give more bbwd-vision, but oh, well.

• JC says:

You do not understand how glasses work. These work on the principle of refraction, not reflection. These are definitely not a waste of money, it's a brilliant idea and quite a technical accomplishment.

• jeff says:

contacts

• bryan says:

get lasik

• Ja says:

sounds like it would require some getting used to but is a dam good idea!

• julia says:

• CoolProducts says:

That's very cool and very useful for those of us who commute through the city on bicycle. Very cool design.

• zippyflounder says:

dang wish i had thought of that one.

• Billy May says:

I gotta say zippy, of all the love these are getting, the fact that you didn’t crap all over them is definitely a high point.

• zippyflounder says:

oh i am a tough old bugger, call a grape a grape…..giving kudo's to nike did make me cringe though 🙂

• zippyflounder says:

• HI Billy,

nice idea indeed. please note that you're infringing an existing patent, which owns by my company. don't say you didn't know!!

• Slash says:

Who are you? What is the patent number? I think you are lying. It is up to you to show the proof. I would advice you to do your communication using a lawyer and not via a forum. You may be treading on the grounds of slander or libel.

• Hi, I don't know who you're. but, i suggest you use better talking style. my lawyers will start working on that.

but, you should know that this is a DIRECT INFRINGMENT of an existing patent. don't say you didn't know. and if you're so eager to know, you can find all details on the net.

• Slash,

US patent: 11/772316. PS: it’s worldwide protected.

enjoy

• Slash says:

Again the same questions, who are you? What is the patent number? Your use of "ad hominem" does not bolster your argument. You still haven't convinced me that this is an infringement of any existing. And don't bother saying "don't say I don't know." What is that all about? Repeating a claim over and over is not evidence.

BTW. I am having fun playing your silly game.

• Slash,

or what ever your name is. my email is: [email protected]. i'm a CEO of company which generate milions of USD a year from licensing our IP, which is related to expanding human peripheral vision. when I'll find out you're not a child, i'll bother talking to you with higher levels, and with details.

not through CHAT.

cheers….

• slash says:

David,

You began the claim. Non-sequitur arguments do not answer the question. WHAT IS THE PATENT NUMBER? If you have a good reason to not give the patent number I will accept that. The patent number is not dependent of my age. I stand by my 1st comment. Prove me wrong.

Thank you for the debate.

Slash

You can find my real name in the local phone book.

• Joe Mo says:

David Botrashvill = 13 year old CS Fag

• XilStorm says:

right. for the record, the patent number Botrashvili gave (11/772316) uses a SIMILAR IDEA. His uses actual lensing, whereas the design on this webpage uses FRESNEL LENSING. Completely different methods of expanding vision, therefore completely different patents, even if it is his own.

Also, frankly, fresnel lenses would work much better. It would let the sunglasses be thin, while letting the same amount of refraction (focusing) to occur.

David’s website is also thoroughly under construction. Millions of USD is nothing. individual surgeons (on the upper average) can make over 1 million dollars a year. So 4 good surgeons eclipse david’s company.

• kevin says:

Actually, I browsed over the patent, and it mentions specifically fresnel lens in the description section.

cut and paste from the patent

“For example, the invention can be carried out with a segment of a diverging optical element , a segment of a diverging Fresnel element, a segment of a diffractive diverging optical element or a graduated grating or any combination thereof (as described with reference to Figs. 5-7D below). The optical element of the invention can be added to a vision device worn by a user, such as but not limited to, helmets, visors, glasses or contact lenses, for example, for enlarging peripheral”

I think this guy actually has a valid claim.

• CoolProducts says:

• zippyflounder says:

dang wish i had thought of that one.

• ZGiSH says:

Concept art that is possible and useful is a +1 for me.

• phentex says:

but there is a problem : the glasses might not look so cool when they are weared : if light can go in one way, it can go in the other. Therefore if the light from the extra -/+25° can be "bent" enough to be projected into the usual eye field of view, then if these glasse are fearly transparent, then the eyes might look kind of alienish.

• ZGiSH says:

Concept art that is possible and useful is a +1 for me.

• Chris says:

Something useful, practical, possible and that I would actually buy.

• Mark says:

Combine it with an exhaust-gas-filtering mask and I'll buy one right away.

• Barrack says:

Wait, is this fresh out of the NIKE HQ or just some guys concept from coroflot who has nothing to do with Nike?!!

Either way it's a cool idea, but if it's nothing to do with Nike can you make it more apparent? (This is a great compliment to the designer, your presentation fooled me)…

If it is from Nike, ignore this.

• Billy May says:

It is a crackpot idea from some guy on coroflot; and thank you, the level of production value was intended to fool people.

• David says:

Billy,
        you choose to ignore, and i’m ok with it. i’ll tell you this for the last time. next will be between atturnies, your story is DIRECT infringment of our patent.

• Mark says:

Combine it with an exhaust-gas-filtering mask and I'll buy one right away.

• Barrack says:

If it is from Nike, ignore this.

• Billy May says:

• shain says:

ok, gotta take a poo…

i feel like these may cause the wearer to have sudden reaction of drunken stooper when the brain subconsciously tries to focus on that moving object coming up from behind

• shain says:

ok, gotta take a poo…

• phentex says:

but there is a problem : the glasses might not look so cool when they are weared : if light can go in one way, it can go in the other. Therefore if the light from the extra -/+25 can be “bent” enough to be projected into the usual eye field of view, then if these glasse are fearly transparent, then the eyes might look kind of alienish.

• powers says:

Having been in situations where my bicycle, a truck and myself were engaged at speed in unplanned events, I'd be tempted to give these a try. The only concern I might have is that they might give people headaches, but probably not everyone. Being branded with a swoosh is a little generic, but really, this concept has NIKE written all over it.

• powers says:

• Mehdi says:

wow! Perfect

• Mehdi says:

wow! Perfect

• santaspuppet says:

i like, but my brother finds these useless. He has the ballistic Oakley's instead. He says its much more important to be able to stop a bullet. living in Miami maybe Nike should make these bulletproof as well.

• DanDaMan says:

The ballistic Oakley's don't stop bullets. If your brother thinks this he's an idiot. Beside, what's better, stopping the bullet or seeing the guy before he shoots you?

• santaspuppet says:

LOL! I second this motion!

• santaspuppet says:

• Sam, Wisconsin says:

If Nike pushes this concept for every glasses it has, this can force the prescription glasses manufacturers to follow up with a futuristic design following the same concept.

I think it is time to reinvent the prescription glasses, to match the 21st century, instead of this 16th century medieval design of what people are wearing today.

• Sam, Wisconsin says:

• Babak says:

How can you purchase this glasses?!

• Babak says:

How can you purchase this glasses?!

• DanDaMan says:

• Mark says:

haha ya that comment up there made my friends and I laugh. Bullet proof glasses. lol @ these people.

• RememberMe says:

• SEBASTIAN says:

helo, im is studend of unibesity Buenos Aires Argentina, I want to know that lens is the one that they use and if it she generates lateral aberrations.

sebastian

• SEBASTIAN says:

sebastian

• sabik7 says:

Note to self: Do not go cycling in traffic.

• sabik7 says:

Note to self: Do not go cycling in traffic.

• Chris2046 says:

Nice idea. hope I got enough time to aviod the crash

• Chris2046 says:

Nice idea. hope I got enough time to aviod the crash

• casper911ca says:

They should utilize this in Motorcycle helmets.

• casper911ca says:

They should utilize this in Motorcycle helmets.

• Clive says:

Hmmmm – nice idea however….

….no use to spectacle wearers

….turning your head to check behind serves not just one but three purposes:

1. …obviously, to see what's coming.

2. …and just as importantly, to tell other road users that you intend to make a change of direction

3. to make eye-contact with other road users to gain their co-operation.

There is also a psychological effect when a cyclist turns to face drivers – the cyclist ceases to be just an "obstacle" and becomes a real person, drivers tend to behave less agressively.

The above is why I wouldn't even consider fitting a mirror to a bike or buying one of those clever helmets with a built-in mirror.

Having said all that, anything that improves all-round vision has got to be good provided it doesn't replace the old-fashioned but very effective "life-saver" look – and they could be very useful for car drivers to open up the blind spot.

• Clive says:

Hmmmm – nice idea however….

….no use to spectacle wearers

….turning your head to check behind serves not just one but three purposes:

1. …obviously, to see what's coming.
    3. to make eye-contact with other road users to gain their co-operation.

There is also a psychological effect when a cyclist turns to face drivers – the cyclist ceases to be just an “obstacle” and becomes a real person, drivers tend to behave less agressively.

Having said all that, anything that improves all-round vision has got to be good provided it doesn't replace the old-fashioned but very effective “life-saver” look – and they could be very useful for car drivers to open up the blind spot.

• JC says:

• jeff says:

contacts

• Canada rocks says:

Come on here people although I am no genius why does everyone say no use to people who where glasses?

I have -4.00 sight in both eyes never ever where glasses I only where contact lenses.

I also enjoy my oakly sun glass and where goggles while snowboarding or swimming goggles while swimming.

If you want to wear sport glasses get contacts 37.50 for 3 months and that is a fairly good brand.

• Canada rocks says:

• Canada rocks says:

wear** wow thats bad

• Canada rocks says:

wear** wow thats bad

• Phil E. Drifter says:

Too bad it doesn't live up to the name. It doesn't let you see behind you, it lets you see further to the sides. Should be called the Nike sidesight.

Stumbled here, thumbs down.

• Phil E. Drifter says:

Stumbled here, thumbs down.

• bryan says: