Hamper is the Washing Machine

I fail at managing laundry. I have way too many clothes. When I am ready to wash, it’s an all day affair dragging heavy baskets to and from the washer/dryer. I’m not saying I’m too busy or lazy. I just want a simpler solution and I think designer Guopeng Liang is on to something with his iBasket concept.

It’s a hamper/washer/dryer. After you fill it up, an automatic wash and dry cycle initiates. It’s even Wi-Fi enabled to help you monitor it remotely. Once it’s finished, it’ll alert you via email or text message to your phone. Guopeng Liang doesn’t say what method of washing it uses, tho there are spillways for water so that must mean you have to be near a hose, a sink – some sort of outlet. It also doesn’t solve the problem or sorting. I wouldn’t want two separate units for colors and fabric types. But for now I’m happy knowing somewhere, sometime in the near future – my life will be one step closer to the Jetsons.

Designer: Guopeng Liang

• kilian says:

i’m wondering how it behaves when spinning with 1000 rpm? are there any weights? i think there should be some 😉

• zippyflounder says:

the old song dancing on the celing comes to mind LOL. I just LOVE it when designers totaly ignore all aspects of engineering and physiscs.

• Collin says:

not to mention water.. it needs to pump some in, the drain it out…

also there would need to be soap dispenser and if intends to dry it, there would have to be a heat element beyond just spinning..

honestly, cool concept, just make more sense out of it

• ideo says:

Great idea, I’ll recomand it to my girl

• This looks like a very good idea, Electrolux are coming up with quite a few innovative new machines, lets hope some of them hit the market soon

• deanween8 says:

terrible name imo

• TH says:

Have these people ever washed clothes? Do they understand how washing machines work?

Should I have separate Electrolux Hampers for dark and light colours, yet another for those sensitive textiles, perhaps one more for whites that need a hot wash? Since this bugger will start on it’s own, the laundry needs to be resorted. Or perhaps in their future all clothes will be of the same colour.

It says something about water inlets, but this should work with magic instead, because then you wouldn’t need to worry about the water ins and outs and actually keep it in your bedroom. And you’d also eliminate the need for the spin cycle and those anchors that kilian already mentioned.

If the trips to the laundry are the problem, why not just buy a washing machine? And if you prefer, you can put your dirty clothes in there directly, without leaving them around your house first. The sorting problem is still there, but maybe this is for morons.

Another way to stop the smells is to use a hamper with a lid.

Without actually talking about the washing methods and how to develop it to save energy/water, these concepts are pretty useless. There’s actual progress being made: http://www.ecogeek.org/content/view/1837/74/

• BDub says:

TH relax if this gets you so worked up maybe you should stick to sites like maytag.com or sears.com that way “concepts” wont bother you. Half the fun in concepts is thinking outside the box. So screw your whites and “senstive textiles” just enjoy the design. C’mon have fun you know you want to.

• zippyflounder says:

no design to enjoy, just some mental masterbation by a designer to lazy to even consider the real world aspects. He/she might as well have draw a vase and then said “just add magic pixi dust” and your threads are new.

• sgel says:

so concept““
    it is a real product coming to market?

seem few problems in it

• Reju says:

One problem. Top loader? Most new washing machine are front loaders. And for a good reason. They are more efficient, quieter, and easier on clothes.

• Pingback:
  • Brian says:

Needs more work and research. The trend in washing machines is side loading with angled washing drums with water reducing features – this seems like it is unbalanced and wastes water.

• onichon says:

that thing not heavy ?
    water enough ?

• Seamus says:

If you look at the Electrolux design labs site they say the this is designed of the “iGeneration”, whatever that means. The closest I can figure I can figure this designed along an Asian lifestyle.
    Where in they commonly don’t the have/need the shear quantity of clothing that we do in the western world, so a small washer unit is perfect for that.
    Also if you look at the size of the concept model in relation to a person or other objects from the challenge, you see this thing is about 30″ tall. This makes it clearly small enough to be but in a kitchen or a bathroom (where a lot of people put their hampers/ baskets at anyway) put it close enough to water and drainage sources.

• someone says:

what is the differences between the existing washing machine and this new idea? why is it calling “ibasket”, as users cant carry it anywhere like a basket.
    I think the only difference between ibasket and the traditional washing machine is only on the “auto-start” function.

• zippyflounder says:

the difference is that Ibasket cannot/will not work with out “pixie dust” and other washing machines do…huge difference in my book.

• KRODAMI says:

Could not agree with you more ZIPPY, after reading this concept’s post I actually slammed my wacom mouse against my forehead… pretty impressive. However, it would work better if you just put the iBasket into a real washing machine, live a cartridge.

• yinnie says:

How is it any different that just leaving your dirty laundry IN the washing machine, eliminating the need for a basket, and just press START when the machine is full (or when you need clean clothes :P)?

• Conrad says:

Clothes goes inside iBasket.
    iBasket goes inside shower.
    iBasket wifi’s with shower.
    Shower provides water and drainage.
    iBasket spins clothes dry.
    Owner lifts iBasket out of shower and places back on charger.

• lupotech says:

what about the white and coloured clothes? do i need two ibasket´s to seperate them?

• nafanua says:

i like it, soon as it comes out i would love to try it. i know my husband lazy (wash color & whites) butt would love it!!!!!doooopppe

• Will says:

Surely a fitted washing machine is more practical anyway? why not have the ‘drum’ of the washing machine made to be removable and in a lightweight material? just a thought.

• i love your posts, very handy

• Wash says:

It will not wash your clothes propaly due to the “gravity”

when something is wet in water it sinks to the bottom, it would be like putting to meny cloths in your machine they never clean proplily, so this design will have the same effect due to the gravity!!

However this design could be good for something better?

how ever came-up with the design if they had brains they would be dangerous

• Steve says:

It does make me chuckle that you can accuse the designers as being brainless when you can barely type a coherent sentence, can’t spell “clean”, can’t spell “properly”, can’t tell the difference between a question and a statement, don’t know the difference between “how” and “who”, think “came up” needs to be hyphenated and write a jumbled mess of a sentence like your final one.

I don’t normally pick on people for spelling and grammar errors, but I can’t resist when they’re essentially calling someone else stupid.

• Emilyivory says:

Don’t forget they spelled the word “many” and “clothes” wrong as well. Also, the “to” before the word “meny” should be spelled “too”. I can’t forget to mention all of the punctuation issues on top of it!!!

• ladders says:

wow this is really amazing..i will tell it to my hubby so that we can get one.thanks for sharing this

• aircon says:

this is very cute…less space..ill recommend it also to my friends..thanks for sharing.

• darc says:

Omg I need this so bad where can I get it? :O
    Everytime I wash my clothes I have someone else do it because its soo complicated with so many buttons knowing what’s dry and what’s wash

• Mallon says:

the basket would need to be connected to a water, drainage & electric supply, so it would not look so neat nor be as convient as displayed. great idea though right direction.

• that thing not heavy ?
    water enough ?

• sudaki says:

As someone currently living in Japan, yeah – this would be great for me. Most washing machines here are small top-loaders that only use cold water (so no sorting – uh, at least that’s my philosophy), and most people do not have a clothes dryer.

I’d love a little guy that washed and dried. Hauling wet blankets out to the balcony in freezing weather sucks. Since there’s no central heat and no heat source in my living/dining area, handling wet clothes at all in the winter sucks, having your clothes freeze or get rained on sucks.

• Lvp says:

This would be great for cloth diapers. Top loading is necessary for getting those clean and they are washed in small loads. Wouldn’t replace my main washer since I have kids but I would use it as a supplement. Of course it would be hooked up to water. When I was in college I had something similar that hooked to the bathroom sink but it didn’t dry the clothes.

• Jill says:

I think you are on to something there. Roomba can be programmed to return to home base, this could be programmed to travel to water supply when ready

• Caitlin says:

There’s a reason this is a CONCEPT idea…not a finished product.

• Katherine says:

I’d buy this in a heartbeat. I don’t sort my clothes anyway, so I wouldn’t have to worry about it. Best concept ever.

• Rachael says:

I don’t understand all of the negative comments. I would love a solution to my laundry issues, so the fact someone is working on it makes me feel positive. I live in a very small apartment so even
    having to

• ashly says:

I think this is a great idea I don’t sort my clothes aNd I save a lot of money wasing everything on cold. My colors never bleed, I’ve never ended up with pink socks. And I do a load of laundry every day that way everything is always clean and I don’t have to dedicate a day to lugging baskets and folding laundry. this would make my methods more convenient also save space in my small apt.

• Ariel says:

Want!!!!!

• wilna says:

I agree, TH is so tightly wound he could injure himself. This is a concept design and not in production yet. COncept designs are there so input can be made and offered. I love the concept and i hope they make it, because i will definately use it.If he read the whole thing he would see you have to sort your washing, naturally!

• corina cap says:

How much is it? And how does it work? Meaning i know it can wash but how does the drying part work? And how clean does it get your clothes? Just curious. I like it but it seems too good to be true…..

• Laney says:

Some of us do not have the luxury of owning homes, particularly those of us who live in the Greater New York City area. Your suggestion of “just buy a washer” is outrageous. People like me would LOVE for someone to figure out a system like this.

Your negative reaction to innovation is unfortunate.