TeaCube Makes Steeping Easy

I absolutely love tea and anyone who knows me knows I avidly collect satchels from all over the world. Like coffee, a good cup of tea is all in the brewing and steeping. Steep it too long and it tastes bitter; too short and you’re drinking muddy hot water. TeaCubes make it easy by placing the tea bag on a timed retractable spool. Hands free and a good cup of tea. What more could a tea lover ask for!

Designer: Jieun Yang & Hanah Suh

• Death Design says:

It’s a stupid idea…
    unnecessary
    too much waste

+Death Design

• Kevan says:

I completely agree, and i’m so glad that someone sensible got the first post.

Has the human race actually gotten this lazy?

• igreenspot says:

I was wondering, when the teacube draws the teabag, don’t you think it will leave splashes on the table ?

• Guizzy says:

And now, of course, I’ve yet to find a way to reliably make tea bag not taste like the inside of a cat.

It’s not like an infuser costs a lot, and even supermarket bulk loose leaf tea is going to make a world of difference.

• flyboy says:

a: warm the pot
    b: use real tea from UK
    c: pour in scalding hot boiling water
    d: squidge the tea against the side of the pot or preferably stir the real loose leaves.

• James says:

I thought tea came from china?

• Alfie says:

I agree with all but wonder what “real tea from UK is” They certainly don’t grow tea there. Perhaps real tea from China, India, Japan or Sri lanka?

• baglunch says:

I’m not a tea drinker, so this is a genuine question, but if you leave the bag in too long, couldn’t you just add more water to re-dilute it?

• chris says:

No. Steeping too long causes the tea to turn bitter. It doesn’t just keep making the tea ‘stronger’.

• Rabid Penguin says:

Everyone knows tea tastes better from a cube than from a bag. It’s like a giant, tea bullion cube. It’s the definition of flavor, and good taste.

Of course, I don’t like tea. I’m just hoping they’ll take it to the next logical step and make rubiks cube tea bags – where you have to solve the puzzle to unlock the tea bag, to release that distinctive tea flavor that only lye or chlorine can get rid. of.

• p says:

the point about splashing is pretty valid…nobody likes a mess (however small) to have to wipe up. perhaps the design could be better integrated into (or affixed to) a saucer? that way the bag just falls onto a plate to catch the drippings.

• billy says:

to sum up: this fails miserably at solving a problem that doesn’t exist.

• Mark says:

I find it just as easy to set the timer on my mobile or use the “Teatimer” applet on Ubuntu which lets you set up custom timers that can be started from an icon in the system tray. This looks like a good idea but I don’t like the idea of having the teabag gradually dragged out of the mug.

I do have to agree that an infuser and loose leaf tea is the way to go for a nice cuppa, especially if you start experimenting with a tea pot and different varieties (mixing Ceylon and Kenyan leaves for example) I usually get all my loose tea from a company called Whittards over here in the UK and really like their Earl Grey and Ceylon varieties!

• I was wondering, when the tea cube draws the teabag, don’t you think it will leave splashes on the table ?

• Jim says:

Real tea from the UK??? Nothing against the UK but real tea comes from Asia.

• business says:

Pretty neat and nice design that’ll compliment a modern decor, but a little impractical.

• Sean says:

There was a story on a Japanese fashion of making gadgets to solve a problem, but also being so embarassing or cumbersome that they are impractical.

Some gadgets like an umbrella that attaches to a person with a headband, or an elastic scarf-type thing to hold the hair out of the way while noodles are eaten are some examples that I remember.

I think this is probably intended in that style.

• The Mayor says:

Interesting, but how does this solve the problem of Miley Cyrus and those pictures she had taken the other day?

• thinkingmule says:

Where do I get one?
    I guess I’m the only one who likes the idea. To prevent splashes it appears that I can just use a bigger cup with a lid. That way the tea bag is trapped inside but no longer touching the water. It might work with a tea ball infuser too.
    I think it’s great because I would be able to make a cup and then move on to another task. When I come back in 10 – 15 minutes my tea is ready and at the temperature I like to drink it at.

• Monty says:

Buy yourself a timer and a teastick and make a proper cup of tea. Tea bags are fine for iced tea (where the taste is masked by the cold temperature), but a hot cup of tea is a different matter.

• DrXym says:

Here is how you make a perfect cup of tea from a tea bag:

1. Boil water
    2. Put tea bag in cup
    3. Pour boiling water in cup
    4. Wait a few minutes
    5. Remove bag with spoon (or fingers if floating near top), squeezing out any water out as you do.
    6. Add milk

Any gadget or gimmick that claims to improve taste over these very basic set of steps is lying.

• Alfie says:

Here’s how I make tea from a bag;
      1. Heat water
      2. Put in tea bag
      3. Pour water into cup
      4. Wait a few minutes
      5. Remove bag with spoon
      6. Use tea to water pot plants and start over with high grade leaf tea.
      (sorry I’m tea nerd but my pot plants are thriving!)

• stretta says:

1) anyone who drinks tea that comes from bags deserves what they get.

2) overly-infused tea can not be made ‘good’ by diluting. It isn’t ‘stronger’ it is just bitter, like tea made from cats.

3) use a tea timer. Or use the timer in your iPhone/touch clock application. Or use one of the many apps like Cuppa. I use a timer I got from a science supply company with a numeric keypad. Avoid timers with H M S buttons. Seriously annoying.

4) boiling water is *only* used for angry teas that need to be extremely punished and smacked around before they’ll give it up.

5) loose leaf tea = use an infusion basket. Find a pot + infusion basket that is most of the size of the pot itself so the tea has room to swim around.

6) MAKING TEA IS NOT THAT DIFFICULT. jaysus.

• Canthros says:

And, all the pretentious comments about tea bags being evil reminds me that buying premium bagged teas is about as effective as using quality loose tea. The big problem with a lot of inexpensive bagged tea is that it’s usually made of dust and fannings, which can be oversteeped very quickly.

As to decent bagged tea, Tazo’s fair, but overpriced; Stash is fair and reasonably priced; Republic of Tea is good, but also overpriced. For loose tea, you’re probably stuck doing mail-order or buying from a specialty shop of some variety. Here’s a tip: buying from a decent mail-order outfit is probably a better option. The price is probably about the same, but the tea probably spent less time on somebody’s shelf, getting stale.

• berribrand says:

If you drink quality green tea, you should let it steep for a very long time to get the full benefits. It shouldn’t taste bitter or overly strong if using quality tea. Much of the health benefits of green tea take a while to diffuse into the water.

• Terasiel says:

About time someone invented this! I’m sitting down at my computer to recover from the strain it took to steep my last cup of tea!

• zee oh six says:

lame

get a Harriet Carter Penguin Tea Timer if you are that lazy/forgetful

• jb says:

> “to sum up: this fails miserably at solving a problem that doesn’t exist.”

Perfectly stated.

• richie says:

Yes, well said.
      After all it’s NOT rocket science. If you like it weaker than the ‘norm’ simply use a white cup & stand/sit there watching the colour-change until it’s right for you.My delicious friend Kristina has a timer in her phone which she puts beside the cup. It makes a different noise for black & green teas.
      Oh and for those less travelled or educated we grow some very nice teas out here in OZ; there’s a vast range of climatic conditions.
      As for the cube: what an extravagent waste of materials & time in a world that can ill afford it.
      “keep rearranging the deck-chairs”

• dazza says:

you guys all have it wrong…

you just get your wife to make it…

• jewbird says:

I probably wouldn’t buy one myself, as I’m content to let tea seep indefinitely, but it makes me happy to see Chinese inventing things for once instead of just copying and pasting other people’s ideas.

• Bill says:

Where do I get one?

• Zino says:

Okay… it’s really not a bad idea if you drink a lot of tea and have trouble concentrating… like you’ve got young kids or are busy at work… why not be certain you’ll not foozle your tea!

But here’s how I’d design an Auto-T:

Make it a tea BALL, not a bag-holder. Teabags are for, uh, well… I’ll just politely say it’s better to use bulk tea.
    So… the timer perches ABOVE the cup on legs of some practical, stable kind, perhaps like those little camera tripods with flexible legs, but with clips or grooves on the bottom to grab the rim of the cup.
    The tea ball/strainer is suspended below so that, as the timer winds down, it draws the ball up and out of the hot water.

Suspended above the cup, all the drips fall into the cup. Perhaps attach the ball to the retracting cable with a tiny rare-earth magnet for easy dumping and rinsing.

It could evoke many variants of stylistic reference… a mother bird coddling her “egg” for example.

Please send royalty percentage to me, okay?

• Lucas says:

This thing will just tip over your cup of tea and making a huge mess.

Doesn’t anybody test these dumb ass products?

• This problem does not exist because most of the tea in teabags is too weak to ever actually over-steep. You can leave most teabags in your teacup the whole time you drink it and the flavor will never get too strong (This is obviously not the case with loose-leaf tea).

Whoever invented this probably thought the jump-to-conclusions mat was a good idea too.

• Tomegg says:

tea bags suck! you fools, you’ve destroyed the Earth!!

• When you are looking for great tea, great tea is also looking for you…

• Прикольно. Автору, как говорится, респект и уважуха.

• Прикольно. Автору, как говорится, респект и уважуха.

• Pingback: Tech Vina
  • dwg says:

Clearly photoshopped. You can see the pixels.