Do It All Knife

Our world is over technologized and we tend to stop enjoying the simple things in life. Evidence can be found in our kitchen, where blenders and food processors clutter our working space. BasicKnives reinterprets one of our most basic kitchen tools, the knife. The set of knives makes other kitchen tool redundant by incorporating different (cutting)-actions within the un-used surfaces of the blades.

Designer: Caroline Noordijk

• Mike Uy says:

This product is unpractical because most chefs rest their knuckles on the flat of the blade to guide the knife…. if you did that with this product imagine what would happen.

• Pow Pamchao says:

I have to agree with Mike’s assessment of the knives. When you chop items on the cutting board, your knuckles touch the flat part of the blade. Having a grater or a peeler on the knife could potentially injure you. What I don’t understand is why there is a built in peeler on the knife. It’s a knife. Wouldn’t that be a peeler by itself?

• Bessy says:

A peeler is not used to cut, it’s used to peel. It’s much more dangerous to peel a potato or carrot with the blade of a knife than with a peeler that focuses the blade’s direction with barriers. You must not cook very much.

• 3987 says:

“A peeler is not used to cut, it’s used to peel. It’s much more dangerous to peel a potato or carrot with the blade of a knife than with a peeler that focuses the blade’s direction with barriers. You must not cook very much

Lol, apparantly you must not cook very much, in restaurants there is no time to grab a specific peeler of you are out of prep, it happens alot if your busy, you just have to not cut yourself, although I will admit for being inexperienced it is a bit more dangerous… and to further the overall point this Knife is dangerous unless you have to really press down to grate; if you’re chopping fast then it may not cut but I would not want my knuckles shredded by this grater knife, and to have measured depressions on one side the other side must be wierd.

• Ajos says:

I think what many people who are calling the knives “impractical” are missing is that the peeler and zester are paring knives not meant for cutting board operation, but more suited to peeling vegetables and fruit. Moreover, the grater on the Chef knife isn't the typical “stamped cup” style grater, it is series of simple perforations. My only suggestion would be that the perforations be on the other side of the blade and not all of the way through, thereby eliminating the potential knuckle abrasion (at least for right-handers). The perforations would probably act like cullens to release food stuck to the blade while chopping as well.

Bravo for multitasking in the kitchen,

• karl says:

Superb blog. Thanks for the information, it is very useful. I visited a site and it’s also cool, I’d like to share this site with you http://www.2-clicks-kitchenknives.com , check this one out.

• Chef LeMonde DeMolay says:

The previous comments ARE accurate in their accessment of these units as being “unpractical” for a “real” chef etc. But, let us all not think in the box so much. Let us percieve the innovative qualities of these units. If one were camping perhaps, such a “do-it-all” knife would be an ASSET! In situations where one does need or want a number of items (tools) then such a multi-function knife may have a niche. For the eye they are pleasing also, making for conversation and fun (entertainment). Yes friends and culinary cutlery commandos, Chef LeMonde DeMolay believes there is a place for these knives. These knives do not know where their home is, like steel children we must offer them homes and allow them to “be what they are”. Then value will be found in the uniqueness. Good food, good friends and beverages ( and the right tools to make things “right”). LD

• Viktor says:

This design is bleeding from many wounds. It’s unpractical, not nice, and absolute not ergonomical … and the shape is just a shed tunning.

• Michael says:

Stop being “tools” these are fun items, “peeler injury” LOL! perhaps you should learn how to hold a knife properly! Get over yourselves, if you don’t like them don’t buy them. Nice ot see technology is trying to move forward. Much better than the lame signature crap like Emirle cheapo pans and never dull knives that are flooding the market. If you can’t stand the heat….go eat fast food.

• Morfus says:

These knives are excellent and perfect for camping!

Well made and designed to be compact and still able to produce quality looking food while backpacking and camping.

• Michael says:

I’m not sure how much I’d want to spend on a knife that is only useful for camping trips. (And, I don’t really use that much lime zest when I’m by the campfire…)

As for everyday use, I’m totally with the idea that this would shred one’s knuckles if one was using the knife the way we are taught to use it. Thus, this would encourage bad knife technique — keeping your fingers fully extended in order to hold the food down that is being chopped. Remember that good technique (fingers bent under, with knuckles of the holding hand resting against the knife blade as it goes up and down) is not just for show, but it’s largely to help one avoid slicing one’s fingers off!

Sorry — No dice. (or chop, or slice…)

• Thadd says:

I definatly see problems with these. i don’t know about others, but when I am peeling I use my thumb at the back to guide it. Which thus would severe an artery with this thing.
    As for the garlic one, it completely defeats the purpose of a broud knife with garlic, which you use to cruch the garlic.
    These knives are definitly more dangerous than usefull, and btw a big secret here, but your normal knife is already a pealer.

• digit says:

i think the idea was to think outside the box
    by using the term ‘good knife technique’ you pretty much guarantee staying inside said box.

for instance, instead of holding the potato and pealing the top, why not press the point of the knife against the cutting board (creating tension and stability) and dragging the potato over the peeler?

• John Dollar says:

I agree that a chef’s knife with a grater is an accident waiting to happen, but who uses knuckles to stabilize cutting with a paring knife?
    I don’t often use a zester, but it’s handy from time to time, and I can always use another utility paring knife.
    Design approved by me!

• Horatio says:

OK – so where can one buy them?

• Tony says:

REMEMBER:
    All good designs have more faults than positive points when they first introduced, positive feedback helps iron out faults.

The grater is a very good idea, you wouldn’t grate your knuckles because of the direction of the indentations, and you don’t have to go and get out those large awkward graters just to put a bit of grated cheese on your pasta! I hate those things!

• HarryChiling says:

when’s the last time any of you have been in a kitchen supply store. It’s full of impractical junk. Place these rigth by the register and they would fly like hot cakes. Just price them right so they don’t come back as the design is more a gimmic than useful.

• aquastealth says:

Why all the negative comments?
    I actually love the idea so a lot of creds to Carolin who brings back the basics and
    inspires to make simple and functional design.
    The downside is that when using the extra features you really expose
    yourself to the risk of unintentionally cutting yourself on the knifeblade.
    Why not use this same concept and incorporate it to other kitchen accesories?

• cdub says:

Sometimes features are irreconcilable, period. The peeler blade (which I recognize as a
    wood plane in disguise) must cut at at opposite direction to the main edge, lest the knife
    be made useless for slicing large cuts of meat. On the other hand, locating the peeler’s edge where it won’t interfere with the knife edge creates a dangerous tool. You always want an edge tool’s edge facing away from you if you don’t want to get cut.

• Chef Tim says:

Alright. As a chef, I see some potential in these knives. I have a few problems.

The blade has a full tang (the metal handle without cover) but has no way to firmly attach the handle. No rivets. It appears just to snap into place. Secondly, the blades appear way to small, and theres no indication whether they are stainless steel, or carbon steel. The latter of which is superior for knives. As mentioned, chefs do typically use a grip where our fingers wrap around the bolster of the knives to give us a yaw free grip. However, not mentioned, is when slicing, the tip of the knife stays at the board, and we slide the knife forward. The curve on the chefs knife is too shallow for that technique.

The peeler.
    It has no free movement, and is attached to a rigid knife. Very hard to follow curves.

Zester.
    Nearly impossible to get any leverage out of it. Using leverage helps you zest more of the rind, with less effort.

Measuring indents.
    These are great… I’ve always wanted to season 50 crystals of salt at a time…

• tazo157 says:

This knife with the peeler already exists in Asia. My aunt has this her kitchen. I’ve seen her use it.

• K says:

the potato skining knife is dangerous. the blade should be at the opposite side, so you will not cut your hand if it slipped

• Pingback: Fonda LaShay
  • Lior says:

What an amazing idea

• Andralyn says:

This does look promising. I\’ll keep cmnoig back for more.

• Injections are performed with very small needles to keep pain to a minimum.

There is a Rosemary Mint Awakening Body Wrap the rosemary and peppermint is great for awakening your senses.

In any case, there are things we can do to help our eyelashes longer, stronger and healthier.

• I have been browsing online more than 3 hours lately, yet I by no means found any attention-grabbing article
    like yours. It is lovely value enough for me. In my opinion, if all website owners and bloggers made excellent content as you
    did, the web can be much more useful than ever before.

• Hotel Missoni Edinburgh – A fashion mind I was recommended this web site by my cousin. I’m not sure whether this post is written by him as nobody else know such detailed about my difficulty. You’re incredible! Thanks! your article about Hotel Missoni Edinburgh – A fashion mindBest Regards Veronica

• Hi I am so excited I found your site, I really found you by
    accident, while I was browsing onn Bing for something else, Nonetheless
    I am here now and would just like to say thaanks a lot for a tremendous post and a all round exciting blog (I also
    love the theme/design), I don’t have time to browse it all at
    the moment but I have saved it and also added
    in your RSS feeds, so whwn I have tim I will bbe back to read
    much more, Please do keep up the fantastic work.

• click me says:

My coder is trying to persuade me to move to .net from PHP.
    I have always disliked the idea because of the expenses.
    But he’s tryiong none the less. I’ve been using WordPress on a number of websites for about a year and am concerned about switching to another platform.
    I have heard good things about blogengine.net.
    Is there a way I can transfer all my wordpress posts into it?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• I almmost never ԝrite remarks, however afger browsing a feww of the remarks
    on Do It All Knire Yanko Design. I do have some questions
    for you if you doո’t mind. Is it simply me oг does it
    give the impression like some of these reѕponses
    look as if thеy are cooming from Ьrain dead visitors?

😛 Аnԁ, if you are posting at other sites, I would like tօ follοw anytҺing new ƴou
    hаve too post. Wold you make a list of tthe complete uгls of your
    puƅlic pages like youг linkedin profile,
    Facebook page or twifter feed?

• I know this site preesents quality dependent content and extra material,
    is there any other site which gives these kinds of
    data in quality?

• Jerald says:

If some onee wants expert view concerning blogging after that i advise him/her tto paay a visit this website, Keep
    up the good work.

• Pretty ѕection of content. ӏ simply stumbled upօn your web site аnd in accession capital tօ
    assert that І get actuallу enjoyed account ʏour blog posts.

Anyway Ӏ ԝill bee subscribing іn your feeds or еven I fulfillment
    you get гight of entrry tо consistently ԛuickly.

• Okay, so you have a decent starting portfolio of ‘glamour photography’ shots
    you’ve taken and assembled to show the possibilities of your range and depth of photographic artistry.
    Laughter, smiles and playfulness were the norm for his photos, but it was not in fashion photography.
    Broadband and problematic stunts are their pastime right now.

• When using this product regularly, most users also notice
    new growth in areas that were previously thinning. If the drugs damage cell
    activity during the anagen phase, then hair loss is noticeable within a couple of weeks.
    She did not seem too enthusiastic about it and claimed that she had just been to the toilet and did not
    feel like peeing any more.