Back to the Drawing Board

That phrase has less relevancy with the advent of digital design tools, but this creative workstation merges the physical scale of the classic designer’s board with the functionality of a tablet into one unit that classic sketchers and digital designers alike will appreciate. Called Voltra, it hearkens back to a time when pencil and paper were solely available, but instead… it’s a stylus and touch screen!

Designer: Jameel Kamil

• stephen russell says:

maybe can speed up design & eng specs & speed up project or allow non drafting types to be draftspersons due to Hi Tech
    & link to 3D printers & visual aids for Marketing projects too.,
    Awesome
    For every JC in the US & Eng & Arch School college.

• Dave says:

Yes, yes, yes!!!!!!!!!

I’m a 39 year old ex draughtsman, mainly architectural. I was trained on a drawing board and I saw my trade change, almost overnight from a balance between art and tech to just tech. This is partly the fault of the firm I worked for. Recent software development has addressed this to some extent, but I feel that hardware has lagged behind.

I looked at Microsoft surface a few years back and thought that maybe something was coming, the ipad also makes me feel that this is achievable, or at least non inconceivable.

Apple, if you really are the system that creative people use, then do this!!!!

I don’t think it will replace PC’s but will/could enhance the output from a drawing office or design studio.

Well that’s what I believe anyway!

• Dave says:

I think this design should also consider hardware modularity and upgradability to allow the spec to keep up with software, without the need to replace the expensive screen.

As stated above, interoperability with other presentation, output and workflow systems should be considered. I’m not sure what they are, but I feel new possibilities are in this!

• trimtab21 says:

I too learned before digital design and i say forget this crap and learn AutoCAD or Revit. If you still want to sketch by hand, do it on paper.
    Get with the 21st Century!

• Dave says:

Yeah, I’m not thinking of just a electronic drawing board, but the best of those programmes and others such as solidworks and pro-e, all of which I can use and integrate the best of the software with new forms of hardware and interaction other than the mouse.

Tech drawing may not benefit so much by this, but concept generation etc may be improved. Not definitely, but something worth exploring.

• jameel kamil says:

Thanks Yanko for featuring my work here, the basic idea is to minimize the space in studio/design firm etc. Thanks all for the opinion 😀