Shelter for Familiarity

The Almost Home Shelter is the result of a collaborative student observation of the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami survivors and how emergency relief could be adapted to better suit subsistence users rather than those of developed nations. The simple modular shelter is easy to assemble and customizable to various living situations, mimicking the community environments found in rural villages and encouraging people to interact as they would before the disaster.

Designer: Katrina Epperson

• topper says:

Is their too many parts, How much to make it? Will it be expensive ? Transport cost five boxes??

• B Clark says:

I like the idea but one thing that really grinds my gears is the word Normalcy!!!

The word you are looking for is Normality – it might seem a bit pedantic to point out but in the design industry professionality (notice not professionalcy!) extends right down to the choice of words and phrasing used in your pitch.

Clearly your an educated person and this should be reflected in your choice of language. I really like your design and where your focus is, just do not let yourself down with something so simple to change.

Apologies if that comes across a bit harsh – I just wanted to let you know!

All the best and good luck.

Brad

• Troy Turner says:

Normalcy had been listed in dictionaries as far back as 1857. :)

• Katrina E says:

You bring up a good point Brad thanks for bringing it to my attention. We used the term normalcy because the phrase “a return to normalcy” is commonly used when referring to the end of a period of disruption. Normality does seem to be the more widely accepted term though.

Thanks for posting the project and changing the title Troy!

-Katrina

• Brad Clark says:

No problem, although others have rightly pointed out it is an accepted word in north America, which I didn’t realise over here in the UK. All the best wishes for your project and good luck.

Brad

• Justin says:

the idea is perfect… one thing you just need to work on is on how to safety and efficiently transport the boxes. Perharps the design could be changed to minimise the box space. Larger size and number of boxes means larger costs and man hours just to transport them.

• A says:

“Professionalism”

• A says:

Also, Brad, the words “normalcy” and “normality” are interchangeable in the English language. Kudos to Katrina for her use of higher vocabulary to evoke a more professional tone in her presentation.

• nasrudiin says:

We to get this products.

• Dexter says:

Hey Brad – since you are concentrating so hard on language/word choice describing the design, instead of commenting on the actual design of the mechanism or theory to practice, it seems you have let slip a minor infraction of your own…Specifically, “Clearly your an educated person” should read “Clearly you’re an educated person”. Just sayin’….

• Brad Clark says:

Dexter, apart from the fact that I am using an iPhone that tends to err on the side of wrong most of the time, my comment was not a pitch for a professional design brief, nor was it meant to be detogatory or pedantic.

I do not profess to be a wordsmith and I make mistakes (some which have cost me projects) I just wished that people would have pointed them out before pitching. That’s all I was trying to do. If you read my comments I also conceded that I did not realise normalcy was an accepted word in north America.

Please don’t take my comments as anything other than as they were intended to be, constructive and positive.

• Brad Clark says:

• Katrina E says:

If anyone would like to know more about the research and thought put into this project please visit my portfolio:
    -Katrina

• andrew says:

*you’re

• CanadaDave says:

“Clearly your an educated person and this should be reflected in your choice of language.”

It’s you’re.

• Brad Clark says:

See my previous posts….. I was not trying to be pedantic – as you currently are.

• Glen Jacoby says:

it’s realize, not realise

• Brad Clark says:

Oh dear lord Glen! Im English! It even says as such in the sentence with the word realise…

My comments really have not been taken in the spirit that they were meant except for the actual person they were directed at who understood my point entirely.

Tired of this now.

• Tobias says:

Thank you for this ingenious design, Ms. Epperson! My occupation in the deals directly with disaster relief and civil relocation. I will definitely be using this culturally sensitive model of temporary housing in the future.