Strap-on Some Groove

The GROOVESTRAP is a T-shaped handy thang that hooks onto an external 2.5-inch external Hard Drive and converts it to a useful interim MP3 player. Kinda getting you back into the groove with your music on the go. It features a knob on both the sides of the T, to be used as controls for volume and track shifting. Totally digging its minimal style coupled with utilitarian approach.

Designer: Jaineel Shah

• Matt says:

I would use one of these in my car in a heartbeat! Can anyone well-versed in embedded OS comment on the feasibility?

• Matt says:

• qpoon says:

Don't hold your breath, HDD's take a lot of power – way more than a small device like that could provide for a long time. but i don't see any reason why the firmware for a device like this wouldn't be able to work

• Chris says:

Seems cool because you could in theory use up to 1TB of songs. im thinking that just 2 wheels "to be used as controls for volume and track shifting" might be insufficient in sorting that. and the size seems like overkill to me, has anyone seriously filled a classic 160GB Ipod with just music?
      Liking the looks of it though. somehow reminds me of Wall-E :P.

• Chris says:

Seems cool because you could in theory use up to 1TB of songs. im thinking that just 2 wheels “to be used as controls for volume and track shifting” might be insufficient in sorting that. and the size seems like overkill to me, has anyone seriously filled a classic 160GB Ipod with just music?
      Liking the looks of it though. somehow reminds me of Wall-E :P.

• engineering_thoughts says:

I like this – something that can actually be made. I am unsure of the market potential, however. This would functionally compete with iPods, smart phones, etc.

Basically, it takes the non powered USB hard drive that you may already have (which is limited to 2.5W power consumption max) and turns it into a first generation iPod (which was a mechanical hard drive with a sleek wrapper). Physically feasible but will no doubt require some compromise to get enough energy storage for the desired battery life performance.

Nicely done.

• engineering_thoughts says:

Nicely done.

• Mightee says:

a great thing to have for music freaks like me

btw, the girl is HOT 😀

• Mightee says:

a great thing to have for music freaks like me

btw, the girl is HOT 😀

• Theo says:

Love the design, add the ability to run off mains, plus an HDMI (or an AV out) out port and the design could also run as a video player for any telly. Take your films with you…

• Theo says:

• Maurice says:

Aren’t hard drives (especially hard drive mp3 players) mre than a bit passé by now? This device itself looks bigger than many music players, not including the hard drive.

I guess it’s a good way to reuse old, low capacity hard drives you don’t know what to do with?

• Maurice says:

• Lorenzo Woodley says:

what could be better than turning your phd into i giant shuffle

• Lorenzo Woodley says:

what could be better than turning your phd into i giant shuffle

• sohooer says:

pretty girl

• sohooer says:

pretty girl

• Mister 221 :) says:

Very nice work! I want to use it! it's a really nice solution that can arrive on the market! Our life is now on a hard drive! all our informations are numeric nowadays! So it's also a real answer to give mobility to each consumers! Nice works Bro' & Congrats!

• Mister 221 :) says:

• Jaineel says:

Thank you Everybody for the constructive feedback provided !!

Jaineel

• iqn lqwis says:

you will never see this product in real life. if it ever gets produced then one of the big corporations will buy it then squash it like a bug!

• Jake says:

Seems like it would work better with a SSD, because SSD’s kick more ass, are faster, and less power-hungry. I think this product would make a very successful Kickstarter campaign.