If Bang & Olufsen Made a Sink Faucet

Designer Jessica Hunt answers with a rather interesting concept. Her take is a sleek brushed steel tube with a long notch along one side for water to flow. No knobs or taps; a simple swipe across the arm turns it on. It offers various levels of hot and cold water through lateral touch points and comes with a handy spray. It even includes a pyramid base, which doubles as a soap dispenser. How very B&O – stark and highly functional.

Disclaimer: This is a concept project and has nothing to do with Bang & Olufsen

Design Mentor: Dr. Young Mi Choi

Designer: Jessica Hunt

• Eddd222 says:

Nice idea,
    I would have used a bit more photoshop to get rid of the scratches and sanding marks.
    now it looks a bit too much like a prototype
    you might even consider to have it brushed or chrome plated, to give it a perfect finish it's not really that expencive.

Because the bar is mounted horizontally and there is no defined spout for the water to go out, I imagine that some water might dribble/run down the bar onto the kitchen counter.

What does the cilinder with the philips head do?

• Thank you! The project was actually less than a month's time, start to finish, and largely explored branding forms based on requirements (Design a faucet, sprayer, and soap dispenser based on a given brand) more than prototyping, thus the very rough gray model.
      The cylinder is a sprayer attachment for more controlled water distribution.
      I explored hydraulophones when looking at the water outflow, since our studio time set and resources didn't allow physical testing. It was a great jump into the Bang & Olufsen brand – I knew very little about the brand previous to the assignment!

• Eddd222 says:

Nice idea,
    now it looks a bit too much like a prototype

What does the cilinder with the philips head do?

The cylinder is a sprayer attachment for more controlled water distribution.

The cylinder is a sprayer attachment for more controlled water distribution.

• Ras says:

Relate this to Bang and Olufsens design is an insult, nothing less.

• Thanks for the feedback, man – Might I ask what you would have done differently? I love constructive criticism, especially having only a few years' experience in design, and only a few weeks to become associated with the brand. Thanks!

• c tabs says:

What you've said is an insult, nothing more. Try being constructive rather than tearing people down.

• Safiyyah says:

I honestly didn't know what I was looking at at first. I think that this concept needs more of an explanation. It's a shame because I see a pretty good idea here.

• Safiyyah says:

• Ras says:

Relate this to Bang and Olufsens design is an insult, nothing less.

• 冒出的水也是挺美的

• 冒出的水也是挺美的

• 冒出的水也是挺美的

• Andy says:

I agree with Safiyyah it took me a while to work out exactly what I was looking at, once I worked it out though I thought it was great. Looks really good (well when polished up properly) and is definitely different. I think you have captures Bang and Olufsen really well.

• Marcel says:

I think this idea is really good and with a bit of fine tuning and improvement on how quality it looks a great looking product is in the making.

• Ian says:

Looks great, works great. Where can I get one?

• Natalie says:

Apart from it being hard to tell what your looking at on the photographs I think this is a real modern piece of art. It would look graet in any kitchen or bathroom and the way the water comes out looks really smart. Well done.

• Craig says:

I want one of those, I have just had a new kitchen fitted but my Faucet is nowhere near as cool as this one, I wish I had seen it beforehand!

• decaPODA says:

Jess..
    if only B&O would make faucet..they would be freaky awesome.. and of course a costly affair.
    You should have gone wild in exploring the material, as far i see a B&O product.. it is an experience to me which i couldnt get from other high end guys.
    what i see here a nice and simple idea (when i say simple i dont mean to put you down) which could have been taken to a new level all together.

I think i could call it a “what if LOEWE made a sink faucet” and it could still justify itself with LOEWE too.. :)
    what is there at B&O which made you think over making a faucet for them?

hope i could give a justified criticism :)
    have a good day.

• Thank you all for your feedback, it is absolutely invaluable to me!

decaPODA – The endeavor was an assignment of georgia tech's industrial design program. We literally drew from a hat a suite of products (I drew sink, sprayer, and soap dispenser), and then a brand (I, of course, drew B+O). I was totally unfamiliar with the brand, so I began some online research, delved into BeoWorld on B+O's website, and visited one of their stores for some interviewing with employees, as well as a good, solid look at their products. I found a strong theme of combining elementary shapes, usually in twos or threes, paired with cutting edge technology aimed at essentially making life as streamlined and efficient as possible, while retaining a certain, solid grasp on status and luxury.

To me, it is rather interesting to see the direction Bang and Olufsen is taking as of late – they seem to be in the middle of a transition period of some kind… a good indicator of this I found in their attempt at an mp3 player, and their huge interest in developing televisions and leaving their famous phones a bit on the back burner. This was a difficulty in designing the concept product; a few other students encountered the same issue in designing for Jaguar, a company in the middle of some big changes!

• Originally I thought the work was the work of someone doing A-level Design ie between 17 and 18 and i thought fair play this girl that has taken on a hard brand to understand and been creative with the "What if scenario" and is exploring interaction design to a good level of success for a 17/18 year old. {this is really what I thought}. But looking at you online portfolio I realized you are 22 and is University work – I hope I am correct on this??! Now I still think the concept of tactile faucets and the use of pure shapes is correct and good but … but being honest here – the model is very poor and lacks the finish and quality of the brand get a modle maker to do it next time it helps sell your ideas!. Also the detail in how the user interfaces with it is also not defined at all. At this age you should have had a better understanding of the brand' quality and focus on materials and finish and produced not only a better model but also a better overall form/design. I feel your a better photographer and fashion model than a designer, but don't take it too harshly as I feel you professors should have helped more. Matt

• Originally I thought the work was the work of someone doing A-level Design ie between 17 and 18 and i thought fair play this girl that has taken on a hard brand to understand and been creative with the “What if scenario” and is exploring interaction design to a good level of success for a 17/18 year old. {this is really what I thought}. But looking at you online portfolio I realized you are 22 and is University work – I hope I am correct on this??! Now I still think the concept of tactile faucets and the use of pure shapes is correct and good but … but being honest here – the model is very poor and lacks the finish and quality of the brand get a modle maker to do it next time it helps sell your ideas!. Also the detail in how the user interfaces with it is also not defined at all. At this age you should have had a better understanding of the brand' quality and focus on materials and finish and produced not only a better model but also a better overall form/design. I feel your a better photographer and fashion model than a designer, but don't take it too harshly as I feel you professors should have helped more. Matt

• Apologies to disappoint! Do let me re-iterate that this was a three week project based on branding requiring a gray sketch model, and was from a prior year’s portfolio. Further, this is not a recent project, and you were correct in saying I was not 22 upon its endeavor. The original files sent to YD represented the photos on a much smaller scale, and I learned a valuable lesson in sending only web-sized files for press release for the future, unless I want every sanding mark and 3 am photoshopping error shown full-scale. Would love to send your feedback to the Georgia Tech College of Architecture – many of your points equal my views on ways to improve the overall program. Thanks for the feedback!