Portugal Makes Out

Portugese designers working outside of Portugal are invited by the Made Out Portugal program to work toward a greater hive mind of work. This group is responsible for some magical ideas and fantastical concept designs. Each of the members being a designer who is Portuguese studying or doing an internship outside Portugal, the following collection is only a fragment.

Designer: Made Out Portugal

HSART by Ana Rita Sousa is a collection of found objects presented in such a manner that they be invited into the homes and lives of the viewers of the project. Instead of staying wasted on the streets, they’re given another chance in the arms of a user.

Site-Specific Furniture by Bruno Carvalho is a project that says architecture is both architecture and design but that design is only design, and not architecture. What this project does is develop a production process that “allows the creation of furniture pieces from interior architecture forms.”

About Waste by Filipa Ricardo is a project that’s created from industrial waste – the unwanted parts pieced together to create a project. This project uses CNC waste boards and old used wool blankets to create a 6 metal axis “Made in Holland” stool.

Another Contemporary Chair by Joao Jalente is a piece of furniture about the relationship between the object and the designer. Here the chair is a self projection of designer, the shape of the shadow, a chair, now reflecting the designer literally a s mirror.

Dock Lamp by Manuel Netto is a light controlled by a precise action. Instead of clicking a switch, you move the lamp to a specific lamp, connecting the current. Each place you place the bulb, there too shall you find a light.

Spore Vase by Paulo Sellmayer is a fungi vase. In this vase a process generally thought to be a bit repulsive is made to be observed as a beautiful thing.

Bottlegged . Mesa Beira by Tiago Sas Da Costa is a re-use project based in bottles. These bottles are made into furniture, each of them coming originally from the drinks in the Netherlands, now made into the scenery in a positive way.

• Why? says:

Don´t want to be a downer, but most of these (if not all) are artistic pieces, so why do you call them designers? Because they studied design? Or is it because nowadays everybody likes to be called a "designer"…?

To me, to be called a "design" it must have a function, and most of these have no function except for us to see some comon object turned upside down or made with reusable materials.

Another thing I want to point out, but this is not the designers fault, it´s the objective of the organization, WHY only portuguese designers that work outside of portugal? I´ve seen MUCH BETTER work from designer that work IN portugal, or is this the usuall elistism that runs around in the portuguese mind? Outside portugal: great, inside portugal: ok, but not great.

• Gabriel da Silva says:

Oh, Oh! You must be from Portugal. I'm I correct?
      And, YES…there are some great designer IN Portugal – that small country with great things to offer, but with very much work to do.

• Why? says:

Dont want to be a downer, but most of these (if not all) are artistic pieces, so why do you call them designers? Because they studied design? Or is it because nowadays everybody likes to be called a “designer”…?

To me, to be called a “design” it must have a function, and most of these have no function except for us to see some comon object turned upside down or made with reusable materials.

Another thing I want to point out, but this is not the designers fault, its the objective of the organization, WHY only portuguese designers that work outside of portugal? Ive seen MUCH BETTER work from designer that work IN portugal, or is this the usuall elistism that runs around in the portuguese mind? Outside portugal: great, inside portugal: ok, but not great.

• Gabriel da Silva says:

Oh, Oh! You must be from Portugal. I'm I correct?

• Why? says:

This is the main reason that made me write this, WHY don´t we have the same kind of attention but with designers that work in Portugal? WHY I open yanko design (one of the best design pages I read on the net) and I only see attention to the OUSIDE of portugal and not we have INSIDE? Are the responsable people that organize these events don´t choose QUALITY over a nice headline like "designers that work outside of portugal"?

I hope I see the same iniciative but with portuguese designers that work in portugal, you´ll probably have much better quality and better ideas, just because you are outside of your home country doens´t make your ideas awesome. unfortunatly, in portugal that´s the mentality, it started with music, now it´s expanding.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant, by no means I´m saying the designers work is bad, I´m saying that the organization is bad, because they´ve chosen items that much more art then design.
    Plus this whole attention to designers outside, when we have tons of quality designer working inside our country.

• Why? says:

This is the main reason that made me write this, WHY dont we have the same kind of attention but with designers that work in Portugal? WHY I open yanko design (one of the best design pages I read on the net) and I only see attention to the OUSIDE of portugal and not we have INSIDE? Are the responsable people that organize these events dont choose QUALITY over a nice headline like “designers that work outside of portugal”?

I hope I see the same iniciative but with portuguese designers that work in portugal, youll probably have much better quality and better ideas, just because you are outside of your home country doenst make your ideas awesome. unfortunatly, in portugal thats the mentality, it started with music, now its expanding.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant, by no means Im saying the designers work is bad, Im saying that the organization is bad, because theyve chosen items that much more art then design.

• Why? says:

And just one more thing, in the first picture, so you see what I´ve been ranting about, the title is "HSART" which is "TRASH" written backwards, I got the idea, since the work is about disposed objects.

Then WHY in the picture of the work it´s written "SHART"? Is it supposed to be "TRAHS"? I know I have bad english (if I don´t review my coments, I leave a bunch of spelling mistakes, but this is WORK, and in your WORK you have to be PROFESSIONAL… And that spelling mistake is like a huge downer for your work. Really.

• Why? says:

And just one more thing, in the first picture, so you see what Ive been ranting about, the title is “HSART” which is “TRASH” written backwards, I got the idea, since the work is about disposed objects.

Then WHY in the picture of the work its written “SHART”? Is it supposed to be “TRAHS”? I know I have bad english (if I dont review my coments, I leave a bunch of spelling mistakes, but this is WORK, and in your WORK you have to be PROFESSIONAL… And that spelling mistake is like a huge downer for your work. Really.

• Shartman says:

Not to mention what the slang definition of "shart" is. Which is forgivable if the persons native language isn't English and they don't have the sense of humor of a 12 year old like me.

• Shartman says:

Not to mention what the slang definition of “shart” is. Which is forgivable if the persons native language isn't English and they don't have the sense of humor of a 12 year old like me.

• Pedro says:

Adorei :)
    Muito obrigado por mais uma vez estarmos também aqui representados.
    Bons projectos
    Boas ideias
    Bom design…
    Continuem com um bom trabalho.

• Pedro says:

Adorei :)
    Muito obrigado por mais uma vez estarmos tambm aqui representados.
    Bons projectos
    Boas ideias
    Bom design…
    Continuem com um bom trabalho.

• Alex says:

“shart” lol. I think I would have written “estaw” instead.

• Citizen Paragon says:

“Secrets Dealer by Branca Cuvier is a project that’s all about secrets. In revealing your secrets, you become less unique, and this anti-uniqueness is what the project aims to depict.”

That is the most moronic thing I’ve read over the past months! I feel like eating my gibus!

AND it should read “undercover” – not “undercovered”.
    However, it seems to me that you put your money on a variety of talents who can’t spell right… which is a lovely initiative! I’m with you all the way!

BTW: I am portuguese, I live within the borders, I am not a designer and I don’t give a smeg if I haven’t studied things in order to design other things, like modern palanquins.

Have a nice day.

• Citizen Paragon says:

Oh, you should take a very important and decisive peek into a rare article written by yours truly.

It is called “The Palingenesis of the Triton: An Introduction to Weltschmerz” (I’m afraid I lost the link, though).

• Citizen Paragon says:

• Citizen Paragon says:

AND it should read “undercover” – not “undercovered”.

Have a nice day.

• Citizen Paragon says:

AND it should read “undercover” – not “undercovered”.

Have a nice day.

• Citizen Paragon says:

• Citizen Paragon says:

• marmoter says:

Thanks for sharing. It is impressive. By the way, we are an online shop wholesale china electronics such as mobile phones, tablet PC, mp3 player and so on. You are welcome to visit our shop for any shopping purpose. Have a nice day.

• marmoter says:

• Max. text plate size: 5/16″ X 1 1/2″

Ink Color: Red

Clean and precise Imprints

Long-Lasted Ink cartridge.

Easy, Fast, Unlimited refill.

Elegant and comfortable handle design.

More than 10,000 times used guaranteed.