Make Biodiesel Your Own

Apparently this super fabulous fuel situation known as Biodiesel is the miracle source of energy. Designer Ben Guthrie informs us that Biodiesel “is a renewable resource, completely biodegradable, non-toxic, cheap to make, and ingredients are readily available, often for free as by-products of other processes.” What Guthrie would like to do, spread the love of Biodiesel, is a very noble thing, as Biodiesel is not (yet) a widespread process.

What Guthrie would like to do is offer the world the convenience of making their own Biodiesel at home, in a safe and easy manner, with a fabulous looking pump! According to Guthrie’s research, the personal Biodiesel processors on the market now are very expensive, not very user friendly, and on the whole, sort of suck. DIY methods are available online, but as you’ll see from an example in the gallery below, can get really messy really quick. Yuck. Nasty. Sticky goo.

The machine Guthrie presents here uses a process in which you pour the ingredients needed into the top, and poof! Gas! Automated pumps, heating elements, and thermostats do all the work. A simple-to-read display shows the user what’s going on inside the box, and a pull-out tank collects the waste, which is glycerin, which can be disposed of or turned into bars of your favorite kind of Fight Club soap!

The process is non-toxic and requires only an electrical source and a water line to operate.

Designer: Ben Guthrie

• doximagry says:

Been waiting for something like thos

• doximagry says:

Been waiting for something like thos

• chris_burns says:

Me too. I'd also like something that works for people living in apartments who don't have garage space. Something that powers from within? Think C-3PO

• James says:

Me wants one!

• James says:

Me wants one!

• Bob W says:

I love the form and there is definitely a substantial market need.. how long until something like this actually exists?

• Bob W says:

• Hamilton says:

Why would there be a bio fuel station next to a Chevy Chevelle? This seems to have been designed by someone that has no idea on how or what it would be used for. If you want to sell this, maybe try placing it next to a TDI car or an old Mercedes. Something that is actually a diesel!

• Prof177 says:

You know he Chevy Chevelle could have been converted to a diesel at somepoint, and THEN converted to run on Biofuel. Pricey, but plausible. I know a guy who did that with a Camry.

• Yeah…about the flaming of the Chevelle sitting there, you might want to keep up with what people do with diesel engines before you comment like that. I have a Chevrolet magazine sitting around here somewhere that features one. I can't fine the magazine right now, but here is a link about it.

• Hamilton says:

• Prof177 says:

• Scott says:

It is possible to convert cars from gas to diesel – Although maybe not the most cost efficient way, people have done it. I will agree that an old 300d or TDI would be a much more practical car to have in the garage. Aside from that, I think it is a nicely developed design with a positive goal behind it. I would love to see this concept realized in the near future.

• Scott says: