Underhill House

This architectural project goes by the name “Stay Grounded” and it’s all about a house which doesn’t take a bite out of the Earth we live on. It’s a house lowered into the ground, one where every square meter used to build the inner space of the house is given back to the Earth in the form of perimeter walls and green roof and garden. And think of the benefits for the human who wants to be smart with the money! Take heat and cold for example – what’s better than having a load of earth around you all the time – constant basement!

An inner courtyard with a lovely tree and lots of sunlight combined and no windows on the external perimeter of the house creates an environment where noone can see you, but you can see the sun and enjoy it all day long. “Light and air cannons” create natural ventilation inside the house. Multiple of these houses can be build within rock-throwing distance, two houses with one “green energy hill.” A green energy hill here is one connected to two houses and covered with photovoltaic cell panels and microaeolic generators. These hills allow the houses to be mostly or completely energy independent!

Inside the hills there’s also geothermic systems buried underneath the floors allowing introduction of water and/or air at a constant temp of 18/20 celsius – also enabling a consistent lowering of the energy needs to control the climate. It’s a fantasy of energy saving and forward thinking eco-friendly details, the likes of which are basically never ending. We’ll be living like hobbits in no time!

Project Location: Ferrara, Italy
House Area: 202.68 sqm
Gardens Area: 435.84 sqm
Energy hills Area: 544.05 sqm

Designer: Materica Studio

• c.coes says:

Is there a comproble builder in the U.S.? what are cost estimates/ sq.ft. excluding land?

• c.coes says:

• Amy says:

I would feel so isolated living in one of these.

• Amy says:

I would feel so isolated living in one of these.

• hyun says:

Rain and snow? Think about it..lol

• Mads says:

Similar to this one by a Danish architect http://www.m2.dk/Huse/HillHouse/OmHuset.aspx

• Mads says:

• David says:

awesome design

• David says:

awesome design

• Lifesbox.com says:

Nice design but how the homeowner can control the wildlife pets if they are looking this one of their home!

• Lifesbox.com says:

• cho says:

I think this house is influenced by environment..

• Max says:

Hi there! Thanx to everybody took the time to check out my project!
    – c.coes: I'm from Italy and don't know how much it would cost in the US, but I'd be happy to find out! I'd love to have the opportunity to follow a project there!
    – Amy: there are parks in front of the houses, and you could go there whenever you want… I just wanted to give the inhabitants the opportunity to decide when (and if) to meet other people
    – Mads: He's a great architect, I love his stuff. This project is a little diffrent because the house is lowered into the ground and isn't simply covered with a green roof… it is rooted inside the earth.
    David – Thanx so much, too kind of you
    – Lifesbox.com : I'd love to discover that animals feel at home there… that would be so kind to nature!

• Max says:

Hi there! Thanx to everybody took the time to check out my project!
    David – Thanx so much, too kind of you

• DeadGearHead says:

Good design. Earth shelter buildings are always interesting, they pose so much of a building challenge which is fun to tackle in architecture design studio.

Things to keep in mind with when dealing with anything earth sheltered is controlling water run off (the building surfaces have to be water tight, with adequate drainage around to avoid sitting water situations), radon control/avoidance, structural considerations (dead loads; concrete, metal, soils, snow loads [if applicable]) Makes me want to revisit my portfolio…

Great job, and I agree having animals feel at home is a great thing to happen with the building site. But if there are concerns of animals there are options of using plants that certain animals would avoid, the use of blood meal or bone meal, or even a mosquito tone generator designed for wild life control.

• DeadGearHead says:

• nicola says:

Sono un architetto e devo riconoscere nel tuo progetto alcuni elementi davvero interessanti. Sono attratto specialmente dalla semplicità con cui ha risolto questo tema …..
    Complimenti davvero!
    Nicola

• nicola says:

Sono un architetto e devo riconoscere nel tuo progetto alcuni elementi davvero interessanti. Sono attratto specialmente dalla semplicit con cui ha risolto questo tema …..
    Complimenti davvero!