Strollin into the Future

Babies brush your shoulders off, you’re about to be rolling in the most pimp baby vehicle I’ve ever set my sights on. This project is called “Stroller Bumbel” and it’s a whole new look at transporting babies from place to place. Designer Ascanio Afan de Rivera asks why the baby stroller form has only gone a few steps from its origin in all its years of existence? Why oh why? Even when the original isn’t broken, there’s room for improvement. Or at least experimentation. Here’s a new one for ye.

This stroller adapts. Working as a different bit of containment for kids from birth until they’re 2 years old. Based on an 11 piece system that folds into several different forms as well as collapsing down into a trunk-ready smaller size.

Designer: Ascanio Afan de Rivera

• def says:

Nice modern stroller design. But some things are missing:

1. additional basket or net for babies items

2. protection from sun and wind

3. breakes are not available

4. Main wheels are too big – if folded it will still occupy much space in the trunk

5. stroller handles may be not syncron, which may lead to structure errors when you only pull on one handle

6. Frontwheel is nice to have, but to small in my opinion as greater steps will not be easy to overcome

7. And finally I think 3 wheels on the ground will not reduce the risk to topple the stroller on a slope

• def says:

Nice modern stroller design. But some things are missing:

1. additional basket or net for babies items
    2. protection from sun and wind
    3. breakes are not available

• mif991 says:

On something like this it is imperative that the designer tackles the safety improvements first and then aesthetics. Judging by the verbiage, he goes for "pimping the baby" with no safety experimentation to talk of. I like the look, but there seems to be some potential traps (handle loops) that could injure a small child.

• mif991 says:

On something like this it is imperative that the designer tackles the safety improvements first and then aesthetics. Judging by the verbiage, he goes for “pimping the baby” with no safety experimentation to talk of. I like the look, but there seems to be some potential traps (handle loops) that could injure a small child.

• CAMIMA says:

It is always interesting to look at "new" proposals, but in this particular case, I am not sure if it is an industrial design excercise or a graphic design homework. It is certainly a nice object to look at, but as def and mif991 said, it lacks many practical and safety details to be seriously considereded as a real option for the market.

And regarding the comments of Mr. Chris Burns about the design, maybe it could be a good idea to look at the strollers from Stokke or Bugaboo, so he could compare with really good designs that are available in the market right now.

• Amazing! http://tinyurl.com/2g839am
      Fabulous! http://tinyurl.com/2fjedpe

But at over $1,000 USD apiece, I'd have to stick with the $80 USD simple model from Target http://tinyurl.com/2afcu6r — my comments above came with the assumption that the "Bumbel" would be within the price range of any of my friends or family. $1000USD is definitely not.

Do you know much about Stokke or Bugaboo and their sales? I'd be interested who they're selling thousand-dollar strollers to.

• CAMIMA says:

Mr. Chris: I completely agree with you in terms of price and functionality. I do believe that there are nice products in the market that are practical and affordable, but I was talking about design and innovation, not price (that's why you can choose a Rolex instead of a Timex); my point is, if you were so enthusiastic about the design when you wrote: "Babies brush your shoulders off, you’re about to be rolling in the most pimp baby vehicle I’ve ever set my sights on. This project is called “Stroller Bumbel” and it’s a whole new look at transporting babies from place to place" maybe you were not aware of products in the market right now that are designed to meet international regulations and standards for a very important object as a baby stroller, and they are really original.

Thank you very much to take the time to discuss.

• CAMIMA says:

It is always interesting to look at “new” proposals, but in this particular case, I am not sure if it is an industrial design excercise or a graphic design homework. It is certainly a nice object to look at, but as def and mif991 said, it lacks many practical and safety details to be seriously considereded as a real option for the market.

• Amazing! http://tinyurl.com/2g839am
      Fabulous! http://tinyurl.com/2fjedpe

But at over $1,000 USD apiece, I'd have to stick with the $80 USD simple model from Target http://tinyurl.com/2afcu6r — my comments above came with the assumption that the “Bumbel” would be within the price range of any of my friends or family. $1000USD is definitely not.

• CAMIMA says:

Mr. Chris: I completely agree with you in terms of price and functionality. I do believe that there are nice products in the market that are practical and affordable, but I was talking about design and innovation, not price (that's why you can choose a Rolex instead of a Timex); my point is, if you were so enthusiastic about the design when you wrote: “Babies brush your shoulders off, you’re about to be rolling in the most pimp baby vehicle I’ve ever set my sights on. This project is called “Stroller Bumbel” and it’s a whole new look at transporting babies from place to place” maybe you were not aware of products in the market right now that are designed to meet international regulations and standards for a very important object as a baby stroller, and they are really original.

Thank you very much to take the time to discuss.

• Frustrated Hubby says:

Why is it that almost none of the "designs" on here deal with real world usability issues? The human factor and interaction seems to be missing in almost all cases.

• Frustrated Hubby says:

Why is it that almost none of the “designs” on here deal with real world usability issues? The human factor and interaction seems to be missing in almost all cases.

• mei zero says:

• mei zero says:

• This is a genius and giving some true info for those that are new to the buy a jogging stroller like me . Its looking in a new design and very easy to handle and carry . We love this colorful stroller to buy for my eldest son jack . Thank you for making a good information article to all .

• This is a genius and giving some true info for those that are new to the buy a jogging stroller like me . We love this colorful stroller to buy for my eldest son jack these strollers looking in a new design . Thank you for making a good information article to all .

• felix says:

woowwwwwwwwwwwwwww this is amazing design , good job men , es felix bro te felicito de pana excelente trabajo cuidate hermano y sigue asi

• felix says:

• ringo says:

i sure baby will hurt if using this item, think it yourself!

• ringo says:

i sure baby will hurt if using this item, think it yourself!

• maybe it could be a good idea to look at the strollers from Stokke or Bugaboo, so he could compare with really good designs that are available in the market right now.

• Mumsie says:

Doesn’t anyone think of the comfort and safety of the baby any more? Babies are not fashion accessories, they should have traditional prams with space to exercise their limbs, to sit and admire the world around them and to nap in comfort, this contraption offers none of these.