Roly Poly Iron Part Two

I’ve been watching BBC’s The Genius of Design and it has totally re-educated my perspective of the Industrial Design profession. The genius of design is in offering solutions to a problem in such a way that they don’t compromise on our routine habits. The other aspect of designing that I understood was that it’s not wrong for designers to try and improvise an existing solution, with their own perceptions. Usually I disregard a design submission that is very similar to a published post, but this time around I want to bring out the two and spark a debate on the design challenge.

Problem:

The clothes iron is a fantastic invention and the technique dates back to the ancient Chinese people using pans filled with hot coals to iron out clothes. With electricity and modernization we moved on to regular and steam irons. However one situation remained constant with the advent of new technologies – burning clothes due to carelessness.

Solution:

One solution that we recently saw was the Roly Poly Iron designed by Wonkook Lee. It worked on the rocking principle where weights in the handle pulled back the iron into a standing position, when not in use. A simple enough idea that was worth exploring!

Ironically, I have stumbled upon another similar solution and what’s really weird is that this iron too is called the “Roly Poly”. Like I said we don’t usually publish repetitive ideas, but what makes the second version different from Wonkook’s is derived from my first statement: “offering solutions that don’t compromise on our daily habits.” Roly Poly II has a form that we are very familiar with, it is intuitive and basic. It solves the problem of being careless while ironing by rolling back to the upright position, but in a very logical way.

Would you call Part II a genius of design or are we mature enough to break the mold of conventional norms and adopt designs that are form beyond function?

Designers: Sangyong Park, Jungmin Park & Sunwoo Hwang

• Loove says:

"The genius of design is in offering solutions to a problem in such a way that they don’t compromise on our routine habits"

– I would instead say that the true genius of design is that it shapes and creates our routines and habits, physically manifesting what we perceive to be "true" or "normal".

• RadhikaYD says:

Well put….
      but i still stick with what i say…for example, many years ago, people used small bowls and utensils for their leftovers to be stored in the fridge, they covered the food with a plate to keep the smells from mixing and basically it was the way to be done. Using this daily habit Tupperware struck up an ingenious module with his storage boxes. It was something that we did routinely…only his design was better looking, safer, and more practical. in short his design was simply genius and we did not compromise with our daily routine habit either.

BTW have you seen that BBC Series? its really AWESOME!

• Loove says:

“The genius of design is in offering solutions to a problem in such a way that they don’t compromise on our routine habits”

– I would instead say that the true genius of design is that it shapes and creates our routines and habits, physically manifesting what we perceive to be “true” or “normal”.

• RadhikaYD says:

Well put….

BTW have you seen that BBC Series? its really AWESOME!

• gramma troll says:

what is wrong with the language? can anyone really understand what is written there?

• mif991 says:

It is obvious that some people do not have the command of the language as we would like them to have. But with a bit of effort and tolerance you can understand this presentation. Although I've seen similar irons, this one has a simple and streamlined profile, which I like. Is it a superior iron to what is on the market? who knows? I always read reviews before buying anything like this…

• Tom says:

Probably better than your chinese / japanese.

• gramma troll says:

• mif991 says:

• Tom says:

Probably better than your chinese / japanese.

• Funny
    I think this design approaches to core of the concept "Roly-poly", more than i did
    I would prefer this one if i was a customer Cuz it's form lets me know it'll be upright obviously
    Well done, Park and others
    Specially thanks to Yanko for Give us a place for debate

• Funny
    I think this design approaches to core of the concept “Roly-poly”, more than i did
    Well done, Park and others
    Specially thanks to Yanko for Give us a place for debate

• Cody says:

It might have been translated systematically (by a computer) so it didn’t correct the grammar.

• Tomek says:

And what will happen to a Roly Poly when it is left on the edge of ironing board? This design is dangerous.

• Tomek says:

• livegadgets says:

I love this idea… really!
    If it additionally was able to switch off the power after a pre-defined time in upright position it could also reduce the danger of fire if you accidentally leave your home.

• livegadgets says:

I love this idea… really!

• I think this is a great idea!

If it additionally was able to switch off the power automatically after a pre-defined time in upright position it could also reduce the danger of fire when you accidentally leave your home.

• I think this is a great idea!

• jehzlau says:

i lovee the concept of this roly poly iron 😀

• jehzlau says:

i lovee the concept of this roly poly iron 😀

• This is one hell of a cool iron! I think I’m gonna get one if this Roly Poly iron is available in the market.

• Mcrow says:

will the iron be one side much heavier then the other to the extend that it affects how i apply force on it during ironing?

• Mcrow says: