Stand Up And Retract Your Pens

Upright & retract: the two new mantras for a dowdy marker pen; too amusing and cute! What we have here is the Upstanding Retractable Markers, a set of sketch markers that stay upright (think Weeble Wobbles) and have a retractable nib. This saves you the trouble of leaking nibs, but I seriously recommend a cap for keeping the color-stick dust-free and moist. Somehow the idea of pens lined upright on a desk makes me wonder, how many will become Humpty Dumpty and have a great fall!

Designer: Doron Livne

• Confucius says:

I have actually done a bit of research into self-righting tech and for the uneducated (on the matter, not in general), the mass of the semi-sphere at the base must be greater than the weight above. That said I really cant see this working in current form. Nice try on a not-too-bad concept. But im gonna be pessimistic, oh and get a lid.

• Confucius says:

• Scilly_guy says:

Firstly, they wouldn't be nicely balanced in you hand and secondly all the ink would dry out at the bottom of the pen, yes capillary action works in biros to keep the ink at the end of the cartridge but thats not how markers work. Nice gimmick but not practical.

• Scilly_guy says:

• Try says:

It will feel awkward holding the pen as the weight is kept on the back of it. Unless the weight can shift (with sands or moveable weight) to center the balance

• Try says:

• Misc says:

The weight distribution seems like it would make the marker feel weird when it's being hold.

• Misc says:

• meyersid says:

While I'm diggin' the concept, I'm not quite sure it's there yet. How does the marker actually extend/retract? Is it manual or automatic? Wouldn't having a base-heavy pen be more difficult to write with? And I'd imagine standing that way for long periods of time would cause the tip to dry out pretty quickly, sealed or not.

Still, I think this idea has a lot of potential.

• meyersid says:

Still, I think this idea has a lot of potential.

• Matt E says:

Not a new concept

• Matt E says:

Not a new concept

• anon says:

Interesting concept but it would significantly increase the cost of the pen by greatly increasing the shipping weight. A better concept is a similar idea but modular that allows for the variety of markers in use by designers today because many designers are particular to a certain brand based on their own marker techniques.

• anon says:

• Amber says:

Ignore the others. I will buy them.