Clip-on Fin to Turn to Aquaman

Of course, there’s a catch, you’ve gotta have a missing lower limb first to use this particular silicone appendage. This project is an orthopaedic swimming aid by Richard Stark called “Neptune.” It’s bright blue and yellow colors will be blurs to you as they zip past in the pool. Hinge lock, mount for those with mountable appendages, adjustable strength, simple design. You’ll be cruising in a whole new way in no time. And with a designer name like “Stark” you know it’s high quality.

Be sure to note: the designer of the Neptune’s name is Richard Stark. The designer of the Iron Man suit’s name is Tony Stark. They are different people. But, like one another in a very important way, they both hope to make the world a better place to live.

The Neptune uses a standard silicone liner which, when working with the cup mounted to it, distributes forces away from the tip of the limb. The fin, mounted to the the cup, can be turned 90degrees to allow different strokes. Then, as mentioned, the strength of the fin can be adjusted by moving the slider from top to bottom or bottom to top.

Then just cruise.

Designer: Richard Stark

neptune01

Neptune orthopaedic swimming aid for lower limb amputees by Richard Stark

neptune03

neptune04

neptune05

• mif991 says:

Ok. Correct me if I am wrong…Wouldn’t the swimmer be going around in circles?

• Richard says:

The fin is very similiar in power output to that of a human leg. It is designed to give accurate and balanced “propulsion” as a substitute for a lower limb. Without the fin, an amputee tends to swim in “circles” resulting in unbalanced ergonomics in the upper body, wich can cause physical stress in joints for example. Neptune can be adjusted to different power outputs, to suit individual differences and follow your physical development. And I have to emphasize the fins ability to perform breaststroke swimming, wich has been a challenge to design. With one leg only, its almost impossible to swim effective breaststroke. Since breaststroke is a very common style of swimming, this is a very important function.

I hope this cleared out some questions =)

• corrected says:

the swimmer wouldn’t be going around in circles

corrected :p

no in all seriousness I dont think they would not unless this fin provided an extremely efficient method of swimming \the leg. There maybe be a factor to take into account that pro swimmers (from what I remember as a friend was an international) don’t use lower leg but is more in the thighs and shoulders for propulsion.

Be interesting to see though

on the premises of it all though love the design!

• Kit Peters says:

Hi there … fantastic development!! … I’m a monopede and a swimmer/diver .. have long wanted such a thing .. often dreamed about it!
    I’m in Australia … can I get one here? Thanks!!

• Stark says:

I´m sorry to say that the Neptune is nothing but a conceptual design at the moment. Perhaps you´ve seen some video of it in action with a swimmer, but what is used in the video is only prototypes of different kinds. The last couple of days I´ve been getting loads of attention on it, and my hopes are that it will get into production in the future. But right now it´s just an idea that developed during a couple of weeks…

But keep your eyes wide open for it, and maybe you´ll find it on the market in a not so distant future!

• adam says:

Your process was great and it was truly inspirational to see you work this through. Simply and great look on functional use.

• Lee Sheldon says:

So how do I oeder one. Couldn’t do it on the website.

• Mark S. Stevens says:

I am a bilateral AKA and have two short stumps. I swim 2500 metres a few times a week and I would be very interested in a pair for Bilat aka. will it be available at the same time in the future. The Iclandic sock is also avaiable for Bilat AKAs so this should not be a problem. If your price is reasonable then you would sell a ton of them as there are over 44 000 Bilat AKAs in the States alone. In the States emphasis is placed on rehabilitation of amputees and one of the methods is swimming. I wear two c-legs so I know what I am talking about. I am situated in Israel

• Mark S. Stevens says:

• Mike Williams says:

Congratulations, a wonderful innovation!

• Mike Williams says:

Congratulations, a wonderful innovation!

• Steve R says:

This is a great concept, but this story has been bumping around the internet for several years now. Could you post whether or not you are actually going to produce these for sale, and give an estimated date?

I lead support groups & counsel amputees, and having this hang out there on the internet to be recycled over & over again with no production in site is both frustrating and somewhat unfair to the amputees I counsel.

• Stark says:

I would love to have an answer to that! Right now I'm still a student and the concept was done as a very short school project. I am in contact with potential partners for production and commercialization, but no deal is done. It's hard for me to deal with this on the side of school, since school takes 10-14 hours/day 7 days per week. I'm sad to hear this is bringing up frustration when I want to trigger inspiration! =/

• Steve R says:

• Stark says:

• chris says:

Hi Richard,

Really interested in this design of yours. Would love to be kept involved with any future design testing and also purchase. hook me up on my email if you need more test guinea pigs!

• chris says:

Hi Richard,

• Tracy says:

Hi, Brilliant invention such a tease … know where the expression ignorance is bliss comes from… i’m a bilateral aka … strong swimmer though scuba diving proves to need adapted finns an nothing out there an this seems perfect ;-] way to go! did you get a way to become a provider?

• Sarah says:

Has this ever developed into a product you can actually buy? If so, where can I buy one?

• Stark says:

This is still in development as a project on the side for me. But without a partner for investment it’s pretty much on hold for the moment. It might turn into a Kickstarter project.

All the attention this project gets is important and usefull when I connect with possible partners, so thanks to everyone who shows interest in the concept!

I will let you know when I have any updates to share. //Richard Stark

• Stark says:

Hi Steve! Great of you to make me aware of this, thanks! I’ve always left my email in the comments but never realised it’s not shown in “public”. But here you now have a way to contact me:

rstarkdesign@gmail.com

• Stark says:

The link to my site in the article is not working! If you want to make a visit and check out my portfolio turn your heads this way:

// Richard Stark

• Robyn McLachlan says:

The thought of getting in the pool with a Neptune Flipper is very exciting. Do you have any idea when this many become a reality to us amputees. There has already been interest shown through an Amps Link forum here in Australia regarding your flipper

Cheers
    Robyn

• Stark says:

Robyn! I would love to be able to tell you about a release, if I had any answer. As it seems now, there’s a long way to go in realising this idea. We are talking about years pretty much. But if a company partners up to support me it could go quicker. As I wrote to Steve, I hope that I get the possibility to further develop the Neptune concept and release it! It’s quite stressful to have an idea like this as well as the support from the user community. While still being a student without time or money to push it further..

• Jo Kelley says:

This looks absolutely amazing! I am a below knee amputee from UK and love swimming but find it frustrating that I swim so slowly. This fin would enable me to swim as fast as anyone. I wish you well with the further development of the fin.

• Stark says:

Exactly! And Thank you, let’s keep our fingers crossed for the future of this concept =)

• Amy says:

Hey I am a amputee below knee. And I love to swim! before I lost my leg I swimmed a lot but I noticed this past summer swimming without a leg is kinda difficult to do I did it but i didn’t really like it. And I am wanting to look into getting a swimming prosthesis this summer and I really like this one..how much is these and where can I purchase one at?

• Jason Cruit says:

I am a right leg Above knee amputee. I have been swimming for a few months and thought this same idea up in my mind and decided to see if someone had done it. I talked to my Prosthetic Dr. and he said it could not be done. I like the simplicity of yourt idea and believe it would be great for balancing me and give my stump a much better workout.I was extremely excited when I saw your design! I want one please contact let me know were this is in development? I live in America in Ohio. you are improving the quality of life my friend, don’t let anything stop you!

• Lynn Boots says:

How much is this unit, and where can I buy it?

• Barry Penrose says:

Good Afternoon
    Just wondering if you know a location where
    I could purchase the swim leg.
    Thanks in advance
    Barry

• OneLeggedLevi says:

Can you make the video public so I can watch it, please?

• Stark says:

Sorry! I did not know it was private.. It should be public now =)

• Gary Goddard says:

I just found this amazing Video. I love to swim and have been an amputee since 1980.
    Where can I purchase your Flipper.

Thank you from Down Under. Not only me but the thousands of amputee’s throughout the world.

Gary

• Hello mates, its great paragraph regarding tutoringand fully explained,
    keep it up all the time.

• Joe Meyers says:

Richard I chatted with you before….funding must be very hard…there is a show on in the USA called Shark Tank…5 venture capitalist review inventions for investment….you should look in to it they have many options and investments, show is put on by internet /basketball owner Mark Cuban.

• Bryce says:

How do we purchase the Neptune Fin?

• Stark says:

My efforts to get the idea into production has not given any results. Lack of investor interest. Send me an email of interest and I’ll save it on a mail list to notify you if the situation changes. // ricstark@gmail.com

• Stark says:

• The Dead King says:

Sort your shit out and find some investors, there would be plenty out there. if you don’t do it soon I’m gonna steal your concept and do it myself. just a massive tease at this stage, 4 years at least, what you studying, ditch that shit and make some real cash selling this.

• Mike says:

Hi you have so much I terest in your Finn any idea how long it will be before we can get one to try would love to help if I can

• Al says:

Again, where can we purchase a fin???

• Richard Stark says:

Still, there’s no interest from potential partners to invest in developing the Neptune for production. I am NOT spending my life on this, so it all depends on whether or not someone dares to invest in realisation of my idea.

• michael bronson says:

i use to swim all the time i now have both my legs amputated below the knee and would love to swim like i use to but my arms get so tired very quick this so sucks i looked on the internet and saw flippers for my stumps got my hopes up.Now to figure out how to pay for them???Will get them some how!!!

• Steve Smith says:

Please commit to this idea , I know I would love to have this Neptune Flipper and I’m sure millions would also love this. Please don’t give up. PLEASE keep me up dated