A Shift In Refrigeration

The concept behind the Shift Refrigerator is to save energy by minimizing the outflow of cool air. What it wants us to do is use a smaller compartment in the big fridge, on a regular basis. It will be trough this special door that you put your most used food items. The funda being, that when the refrigerator door is opened, cool air flows out and warm air flows in according to how wide the door was opened, resulting in increased use of electric power.

The newer designs in refrigeration do consider this, but all said and done, it’s an issue that cannot be resolved as long as we have kids using fridges. I mean, don’t they just love to open the fridge and take in the cool air while digging into some jelly? So the size of the door or a special compartment will not really matter. But this idea is neat.

Designer: Yong-jin Kim

shift

shift2

Shift Refrigerator by Yong-jin Kim

shift4

shift5

• Ian Patrick Co says:

Great concept! I hope more compartments are added and please improve on the ease of use (i.e. taking things out) It looks like the small compartment is deep and hard to navigate by hand.

• dy3 says:

I agree with you. The small compartment looks hard to use.

• Gary says:

Don’t worry,I solved several issues by engineering-out the flaw when I created my ECO-Accessible Modular tool-free Fridge. Just do a google search for “Accessible Fridge” and look for the NASA “Createthefuturecontest.com” link,there are 2 version posted . One is the Consumer class and is on page 8 ,the other is the Medical class for the Blood strorage emergency air-drop with generator.
        There are 3 Patent secrets that will stun the big-3 at a Appliance show,and i did solve the retro-fit issue and designed a whole new accessible Kitchen from the view in a wheelchair or being elderly. The Prototype CAD went through a few changes to improve it or add more features.
        My plan is to do 2 things that FORD and Coca-Cola have yet to do after close to 100 years in business each, add that to the $200 billion a year Global Appliance market with a Fridge nobody else makes….and a mere 1% share in my first year is still $2 billion in purchase Contracts even before my Military Contract and ADA 508 sales for accessible workplace products.
        I want this fridge built in N.America by Americans for Americans, then License the design for any Nation agreeing to Human Rights protection and fair wages to build it locally and not export it.

The current GREEN imported fridges already
        travel up to 8000 miles by Diesel powered Ships/Trucks/Trains and do damage be for it reaches your Kitchen. The old business model taught at Harvard’s MBA classes no longer works, either lead,follow…or get out of the way .

• frezzingaces says:

yeah an even better way to conserve energy is a top opening chest freezer.

• dy3 says:

Dividing the area in refrigerator is cool idea!
      But I like to seek another way to use the small part, bcause the things in deep position are may hard to reach. Sort of drawer form or…the door at sides..etc. Surely its not easy. hahab

• Although this perhaps does represent a shift, in fact it's still premised on the idea of the iceBOX – in other words, a huge, basically square and deep box.

My ideal refrigerator would be about 15 to 18 inches (381-457mm) deep, and probably 4 or 5 feet (1.5 or so meters) wide. This would make it much less easy to lose food in the back of the fridge, and thus waste it.

I have no idea, engineering-wise, how this could be done in an efficient manner, but it seems to me that very bright engineering brains could figure it out. The other issue, of course, is that most American kitchens are made to fit the big-box type fridge, and would require serious retro-fitting to accommodate any other size. So we're stuck with what we have. Ugh.

• Although this perhaps does represent a shift, in fact it’s still premised on the idea of the iceBOX – in other words, a huge, basically square and deep box.

I have no idea, engineering-wise, how this could be done in an efficient manner, but it seems to me that very bright engineering brains could figure it out. The other issue, of course, is that most American kitchens are made to fit the big-box type fridge, and would require serious retro-fitting to accommodate any other size. So we’re stuck with what we have. Ugh.

• clavado says:

the idea is not entierly new. these guys won the electrolux competition last year with a concept that makes a bit more sense than the one shown here.

• Ron says:

I’m love with this. Design and all.

• US emails says:

I am really impressed alobg with our writing talents as neatly as with the layout to your weblog.
      Is this a paid subject or did you modif it yourself? Either
      way stay up the excellent high quality writing, it is uncommon to see a great weblog like this one nowadays..

• Everyone loves it when individuals come toggether and share thoughts.
      Great site, keewp itt up!

• marketing says:

Hey there, You’ve done a fantastic job. I will definitely digg it and personally
      recommend to my friends. I’m sure they wll be benefited from this website.