If Those Little Lights Aren’t Cutting It

So you’re hearing impaired. And the telephone rings. But you aren’t looking at the phone, so you can’t see that little light flashing on it.* Or you’re looking for a new solution for waking up in the morning. Or the doorbell rings. What ever do you do? You come over here and check this right out, right now! It’s a wristband that informs about all of that at once, through sensations in the skin!

*This is assuming you’ve got a land-line of course. Not all in the world have a mobile cell phone yet!

Skin receptors are abundant on your wrist. That’s why the teacher SMACKS you on the wrist when you’re in trouble! (Or, at least, my auntie told me they used to do that in the school they went to.) So, instead of that, this device, the “Aria,” makes use of those skin receptors with patterns of touch in this fabulous band. Six audible events in the home communicate to the user of the band through different pressing patterns.

Tactile!

Designer: May Wilson

Aria hearing impaired home sensory device by May Wilson

aria02

aria03

aria04

aria05

• RE: ‘Aria’ – designed by May Wilson
    It’s pretty – but this designer should have gained a better knowledge of the incredible number of items already designed to provide and promote communication and access between and for the deaf and hearing impaired community. There are special mobile phones designed for text-only, electronic phone-to-phone texting for land lines. And in this particular design context, a few ideas that have been around for decades – and without having to wear anything that says ‘look at me’ :
    1. light-flashing devices for lamps or the back of your door(s) if someone knocks or rings a doorbell
    2. a ringing (land line) phone that causes a table lamp of your choice to flash
    3. vibrating alarm clocks of all kinds

… and thousands of others. Just Google ‘helpful devices for the deaf’ to see a smattering. Here’s a site owned by a friend of mine: http://www.harriscommunications.com

• Jared C says:

I think this is great! I looked at some of the items helpful for deaf people, and I have to say that if I was deaf, or had hearing problems, I’d rather have a wristband that I can keep with me regardless of where I am instead of some of the other options. Also I love the way this looks. This would really be great if it could also connect with emergency devices such as a home fire alarm, or security system.

Great Idea!

• snuzzle says:

@Dan, and if you're not in the same room as the lamp, then what? Say you're taking a shower. It's daytime, so even if the bathroom light flashed, you'd hardly notice. Maybe you're expecting a phone call, but you're in the backyard tending to your gardening. You wouldn't ever know the phone rang if all you have as an indicator if a flashing light inside the house. With the wristband, no matter where you are, no matter what you're doing, you know that someone is at the door or your phone is ringing. It's like a pager. I think it's a great idea, though one that's less flashy might be preferred for those who are shy or embarrassed about their disability. Make the band itself less puffy and silver or gold, then put a watch face on it, and presto, instant stealth. Heck, it's useful for those of us who even aren't deaf or hard of hearing.

• snuzzle says:

• Jimmy C says:

Wonderful idea and perfect execution. Great job!

• fatima says:

Hi
    where can i buy one of these wristbands?????

Any help much appreciated!

• Tihkoosue says:

Where I can buy this I’m hard of hearing and I really need it.

• Jaaya Victoria says: