Turtle Wrench

Bloody ol’ genius that’s what we’ve got here! It’s a new way to take off a tire. Stick with me here, this is really neat. You take this “Turtle Wrench,” right, and you attach it to your wheel: it connects to all of your wheel bolts at once. Now the wrench has four arms sticking out, one of them each a wrench that correlates with a bolt. You drive forward one full rotation, and as you push forward each wrench, it loosens a bolt.

Did you get all that? You should, because it’s flippin awesome. Look at the pictures below and tell me if you know what’s going on here. Also there’s a prototype whipped up by the designer already, so hopefully I can have one by late winter — I’m not a fan of that first crank, if you know what I mean.

Designer: Fabiano Pottes

Turtle Wrench by Fabiano Pottes

turtlewrench02

turtlewrench04

turtlewrench05

turtlewrench06

• Dyyami says:

Doesn’t our wheel drop off while driving when all bolts are loose?

• Dyyami says:

*your

• Dyyami,
      This is a very good question.
      The wrench was designed to perform a one quarter turn, this rotation is just enough to break the torque of bolts (even when above 350N force is needed), but not to loosen it entirely. After one revolution of the wrench, it will not be in contact with the floor, therefore won’t continue to loosen the bolts. To finish loosening it for extraction you will then use the detachable rubbered center peace, which has a magnetized base.

Hope this answer your question.
      Cheers
      Fabiano

• Dyyami says:

Ah, of course. How did I not think of that. Not that much experience in taking off wheels 😉

Now this is clear I really like this solution! Very effective and easy to use from what I can tell by having a look at the images.

• mif991 says:

Very good idea, but the handles could be more ergonomic.

• mif991 says:

oh, I get it. I missed the small text regarding driving the car to loosen. this is just to loosen the nuts, and still have to use the jack.

• Dixon says:

Hope they make one for wheels w/5 bolts.

• AlienzExist says:

Very clever, use it to loosen the bolts, then jack it up, I get it. Possible and probably marketable with some portability tweaks and options for 5 and 6 bolters.

• Free says:

what about the whole weight deal? i can see this for a person who physically cannot break the static friction of the bolts (which is not that many, even a kid can do it if he step on the wrench for the initial turn), but who else will need it? its just going to add 5 lbs to the car.

• Scudwerth says:

Great concept – perfect for those with limited strength. I could see it being somewhat “fiddly” trying to get all the sockets to align with the wheel nuts [since all the nuts wont be aligned all nice and 90 degrees relative to eachother – perhaps the magnet holds it in place while you align the arms. The weight of the wrench should be considered if you have to hold it in place while aligning the sockets.

There’s some neat exploration in additional uses once the nuts are loosened – looking at the whole event of taking off and replacing a tire eg. jacking, keeping track of the wheel nuts, cleaning up afterwords, etc etc. perhaps some of these functions can be incorporated so that it is not a single-purpose tool.

With that said, great idea – keep them coming.

• Pingback: Turtle Wrench
  • DaLk says:

I can’t think of someone weak enough to need this while being able to turn a steering wheel.

But good idea and lateral thinking, though :)

• Dave says:

Very clever design. I’d also be a bit worried about alignment with the nuts on the car, as mention before, all four would need to be lined up before it would fit on properly… if one wasn’t lined up correctly and someone drove forward, the whole assembly could tilt and the metal arms would grind across the body.

That and needing to roll the car forward with a flat tyre might not be doing a set of chrome rims any favours.

But its a very clever idea, I like the thinking outside the box.

• Mlah says:

Know what works great for getting bolts off the tires? A wrench, hell every car I have had came with one that just so happens to be the right size and have long handles that could provide plenty of leverage. Its almost as if it was designed to be an efficient way of removing a tire. Clearly they are all garbage and I should buy one of these instead.

• Mlah says: