Someone Shaved My Seat Tonight

I was looking at this project and thought, wowie! That’s cute! It’s a stool made of birdseed, I wonder what happens when the birds get done eating it? But then I realized that ITS MADE OF SAWDUST. The environmentalness and green-ery of this project makes my eyes bleed. Bleed right out of my head!

And I love resin!

The Wood Industry uses a lot of wood. Imagine that. And in using a lot of wood, they inevitably come up with a bunch of sawdust. Lots and lots of sawdust. That sawdust, normally trashed, is mixed with a resin and pressed into a mold that contains the legs of the future stool.

…the opportunity was exploring new ways of integration between the legs of the furniture and the sawdust through expansion of the joints, this and the way the sawdust crumbles toward the edges creates a new material esthetics to once destined to be waste material.

Cool beans!

Designer: Toav Avinoam

Shavings by Toav Avinoam

shavings02

shavings03

shavings04

shavings05

shavings06

• Confucius says:

My eyes are bleeding too Chris. The second one is a chocolate brownie isn’t it? mmm brownie.

• siegfred dabon says:

THIS IS THE BEST “ECO-FRIENDLY” TECHNOLGY AND CAN BE PUT IN NORMAL USE IN DOMESTIC SETTING AS WILL US IN COMMERCIAL’ LIKE COFFEE SHOP AND SNACK BARS/STUDIO.AND CAMN BE USE AS ACCENT PIECE PARTICULAR SHOWCASE TO PROMOTE A PRODUCT ADS. ITS WORTH INTIMIDATING. ITS SIMPLE PRACTICALITY CAN MAKE TALKING MATTER IN THIS FAST CHANGING TIMES AS URBAN DWELLERS…. CHEERS FOR THIS CHAIR!!!!!!!!

• coll says:

There is nothing eco-friendly about Resin!
    its getting a bit simple to just put resin on something to get it hard enough for use.
    BUT its a nice chair for sure

• Luke says:

It doesn’t necessarily have to be petroleum-based resin. There are renewable, biodegradable resins out there.

• Luke says:

It’s a good idea conceptually, but the execution here is pretty weak. It’s ugly, it’s undoubtedly a nightmare to clean, and I have serious doubts about its structural integrity.

Reinforce it with crossing sticks, glaze it, sand it… something, anything!

• siegfred dabon says:

definitely, we must find ways to save this industrial waste ( saw dust or others chips/nuggets in there that can be integrated/bonded into other eco-friendly adhesives that will not create oxidants in years to come.”let nature takes its course…”

how about the legs will be in re-cycled plastics. mineral water empty bottles are current headaches in big metropolis. other than that you go sustainanble yet cheap legs..RATTAN POLES…

• brickbat says:

What do you mean sawdust is normally trashed? what do you think all that “flat pack” furniture they sell at wal-mart is made of? sawdust and glue.

• Chavez says:

Um… Particle board was invented years ago

• Itsame says:

Looks like a good texture although the choc brown looks horrid perhaps a mix of several colours prestained first, some mechanical pressing would have got you a more durable surface too.

• jesse says:

Not to devalue this as an art piece, because it is very cool, but I wouldn’t exactly call it ‘green’. Sawdust is used as animal bedding, compost, compressed into pellets for wood burning stoves, and of course turned into particle board for construction. A quick google search reveals that lumber mills are selling their sawdust for as much as $50 a ton, hardly something that’s getting thrown away.

• Mukena says:

Thanks for some othner informative site. Where else
    could I get that type of info written iin such an ideal way?
    I’ve a undertaking that I am juyst now running on, and I’ve been on the glance out
    for such information.