Zaha Hadid Created This Hot Mess

I’ll keep this straight forward. This shoe is the result from a collaboration between renowned architect Zaha Hadid and Brazilian fashion label Melissa. As with any Zaha Hadid design, the sweeping conundrums are rightly apparent and I hate it. It took Hadid 2 years to come up with this? I’m aware those organic arcs hug the foot perfectly but whenever architects try to create fashion, they birth deconstructive genius like Rae Kawakubo or total disasters like this concoction.

The shoe comes in black, charcoal grey, green, yellow, silver, white and purple colorways; available in Australia May 2009 (a-hem Shane). If you live outside Aussieland, hit up the Melissa website to order online.

Architect: Zaha Hadid

• Keith says:

Designer Crocs?

• MadCow says:

fairly ugly designer crocs i would say…

• Ekove says:

exactly my thoughts, crocs are already ugly enough. O well Zaha Hadid is trashy anyway.

• Eric says:

Nasty. Velcro straps? I hate crocs too, and this is no better.

• ribb says:

I would really like to hear whhhyyy all of you are hating on these shoes so badly, especially when you have yet to see them in context (like on a foot). I mean is it a taste thing? a proportion thing? maybe you don’t like the colorways…? Perhaps you all have a personal beef with Mdme. Hadid? Any thoughts?

• Yellow Mellow says:

I would get a pair for summer randomness…. they are actually a lot better looking then crocs

• Lisa says:

As a HUGE Melissa shoe fan all I can say is – designer crocs – get some style people! I for one can’t wait until they are available in Aus – especially the yellow ones. The Melissa company work with some of the most brilliant designers around and spend a lot of time getting the style and fit just right so that those of us across the globe with style can wear great shoes in great comfort.

• Stephen says:

They’ll lap that up over here. The thought process could have been:
    1. Australians love crocs [tick]
    2. Australian women love heals [tick]

1 + 2 = A healed croc.

• Carl says:

stunning work, i find it hard to criticise anything much of her work due to the sheer originality of the work and perseverance she has shown. she has a strength that we can all admire. over ten years of knockbacks, rejections and laughter from what has been a male dominated industry. (name some other contemporary female designers?)

• Rodrigo says:

Croc? This is high heel shoe… a stilish one… This is a GREAT job!

• Eric says:

My issue is that crocs can go for $19, but I bet you these heels wont! Too bad they look like they should be that cheap. What justifies the price difference between them, a name? Shoes that cost a tenth as much to make as they will sell for. Ok, I guess I get it? Plastic/ rubber form molded cookie cutter shoes. HOT! They do photograph well for print ads though!

• Rodrigo says:

Sorry, but I think comparing prices, you are being too much rational. I think this Zaha Hadid have much more appeal than a Croc one. Both are made from plastic, like the 60’s Vener Panton’s Chair and a simple PET water bottle. The difference is what you can do with the same plastic, adding value and emotion to the product though form.

• Rodrigo says:

through form

• Eric says:

Well both of our opinions are exactly that, opinions. Because to me it IS as fugly as crocs, I absolutely will compare cost -vs- manufacturing. So your saying it is the name that makes it “ok” these will be way over priced. That’s not ok with me. Go buy yourself ten.

• youneednotknow says:

Are you guys serious?! These are beautiful. And this is coming from a guy that doesn’t usually bother with womens shoes. It’s a great exploration of organic form that has totally transformed the material! Zaha Hadid’s style is instantly recognizable, even in shoes! If I was a woman, or an experimental kind of guy, I’d be all over these.

• MadCow says:

whats to criticize? lets start from the beginning:

crocs are a figment of marketing, i applaud the design for being simple, effective, functional (and if anybody’s examined the manufacturing marks, its a cheap 2-3 part mold) cheap to make. in my experience dealing with manufacturers, it would cost about $1.50 to make one croc shoe ($2.00 if you like to get hosed), this means a pair of crocs costs $3-$4 FOB. so how much are they sold for? $19-$50 (yes, i have seen crocs sold for 50 even 60 bucks a pair.)

these zaha designer crocs will likely cost the same to make and will sell for somewhere in the hundreds.

the only industry where something like this happens is fashion. This product is purely fashion/trend based, fashion is in a little world of its own, should not even be mentioned with the design industry.

fashion has a life span… these shoes have 1 to 2 years tops… this leads to an issue of all that excessive plastic that is lead into circulation…
    from the looks of it, it seems like its made out of PVC… i hope it isn’t… what happened to responsible design? o thats right… she’s famous she doesn’t have to care about that…

people… each product has a life cycle, and it includes manufacturing all the way to disposal. and clearly this doesn’t care about any of that.

thats why i think its ugly and disgusting.

• Lisa says:

before you go jumping on your high-horse about the manufacturing practices of this company perhaps you should do your homework. Your argue is a load of ‘croc’ as these shoes are less damaging to the environment and more sustainably manufactured than the shoes that I bet you have on your feet today. And by the way, I am wearing a pair of Melissa shoes today (designed by no less than Vivien Westwood) and I guarantee that I get at a dozen compliments on them (from males & females) each time I wear them.

• Eric says:

I’ve seen Melissa’s other shoes, and they are hot compared to these, any day. These are cool to you and a few others, but ugly to the rest of us. So because we are all entitled to like whatever we want, we are both right!

• MadCow says:

please explain how PVC is better for the environment than leather combined with, lets say Nylon? like i said before these shoes fall into the fashion category rather than design and if you haven’t noticed the fashion industry is a load of fluff of vile marketing.

There are plenty of fashion brands that are conscious about the environment and high on style, choose those… Zaha Hadid is great at architect and has many great works that are conscious of the environment and the market… her name is flaunted here to sell toxins on feet… its very sad.

• Sarah says:

dude, calm down. I’m eco-conscious as well, and a fashion design student, and I know that Melissa shoes are made with recycled plastic. Maybe that’s not good enough for you because, you know, these shoes are not edible after being worn for 2 years, but it’s a step in right direction. You don’t get anywhere promoting your message with that kind of attitude.

• MadCow says:

form IS a personal taste, but i for one think that the addiction to organic, emotional, irrational, sensual…(or whatever you want to call it) forms should be left back in the 80’s where it began.

• Carl says:

Bravo Rodrigo and Bravo Lisa.Very Valid points. you dont have to like Zaha, but alot of people do. I dont like BMW’s but i cant ignore the fact that they are popular.

• Carl says:

It reads like Eric would have every woman in the same style of shoe from the same material forever. The pioneer of a functionalist eutopia or just a communist in disguise. Does he know how important shoes are to women, and indirectly to men? By using my hemp bag for life i could offset the amount of plastic not used to ‘enviromentaly afford’ such an item. And in a distant universe Eric can go get his crocs..

• Carl says:

added value through design, the consumers perception of value added by the designer. Eric you are from San Fran right what do you do for a living..?

• Eric says:

Several things, many interests… In terms of product design, only one. 1.5m units sold to a fortune 50 company (unnamed retail chain, might relate to reusable totes…) However I also work on movies when they come for the art department and set decorating. Also work at a venue downtown interviewing music artists and filming shows and editing them. I could go on but last and certainly not least- a professional Yanko Design critic. 😉
      P.s. I feel my friends and I are the only ones who don’t own crocs, they’re everywhere here. Ewe.

• saintjam says:

zzzzzzz! zzzzzz! who ? what ? why ? ıgh.. zzzzzz! zzzzz!

• Carl says:

because id be amazed if he were a designer who didnt recognise the importance of adding value through design..

• MadCow says:

honestly i can’t stress how different fashion design is from industrial design, two VERY different processes with two very DIFFERENT outcomes. i’d say 10% of fashion is value, the rest is pure marketing… and about 90% of that marketing is pretty unethical, to say the least… so you have the choice of buying into it or finding alternatives, please choose responsibly.

• TonTon says:

That work is great!! BUT, a mold for this isn´t that cheap. Iam a modeller for a mold making factory, so i know what i´m saying. Tho, the cost of it is not important. We call it fullplastic, and it takes at least 15-20 hours of modeling only the scaled foot. The mould is another few hours. But, this pvc can be grinded and re injected again and again. It´s very nice, and there is not a lot of mold factories that are capable to do so.

Nice work!

• mrshotmess says:

365.00$ no thanks

• mrshotmess says:

365.00$ no thanks

• Jumana ashkanani says:

I like it , can you inform me how can i order it ??

• Jumana ashkanani says:

I like it , can you inform me how can i order it ??

• Minnie says:

For most up-to-date information you have to pay a visit web and on world-wide-web I found this web site as a best web
    site for latest updates.

• Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate you writing thhis write-up and also the res of the site
    iss extremely good.

• There are also good to think about looking aat the same wherte to buy grosfillex furniture as concrete.
    If your garden is composed of very well for outdoor furniture is used for makikng wooden furniture, then moved to a beautiful
    set of furniture whether they suit your budget.

• Now, dark green color and testure from the ground, ass the real deal.
    Tags: network grosfillex bahia marketing iis experiencing a growth of decay-causing micro-organisms.
    To help keep the sun, cushions to the brown. While
    it may mean outdoor activities. These are loww quality grosfillex bahia or price?

• As a result, women will allow themselves to drop their shields and just “have fun. A human predator acts like a hawk that hovers around the sky until it spots a wounded animal and sweeps in for a kill. Word – Press has made it a breeze to type information to your blog so that does not happen.