The One True Vinyl iPod Killer

It doesn’t quite play real vinyl. It does appear to roll through records, though. It’s nice and roundy, it’s got multiple color schemes and configurations… it’s totally unnatural.

It’s called the Soma, and it comes in plastic, steel, wood, leather and a Yanko favorite: bamboo!

This is a digital music player. It’s got three big panels on the back, and two touchscreens on the front. The panels on the back look like buttons, but they aren’t. They are mostly for show: one of the more unique features of this player is the variety of materials it can sport.

(as listed above and below)

The touch-screens in the front would be revolutionary if they hadn’t been beaten by the smart phone train. What they display, though, is neat: flipping through album covers resembles flipping through vinyl record covers, and when one of these sleeves is chosen, the record sneaks out and starts spinning.

Finally, amongst some lesser details:

The designer of the Soma is the infamous 17-year-old design prodigy, Andrew Seunghyun Kim!

Designer: Andrew Seunghyun Kim [ Via: Core77 ]

• Armin says:

Interesting, soma32, is anybody else thinking of Brave New World?! 😉

• fb says:

I’m not a fan of the ipod,
    but at least the ipod didn’t have a weird growth out the side of itself.

• Tom says:

No kidding…it’s like a tumor sucking the life from the phone…

• ross says:

this guy seems to have really good presentation techniques, but really……ideas are quite out of mind.

please andrew….do something else with your time at your age….go with your friends…enjoy life….you will see when you start working as designer that things are not so easy…

good job though.

dont do it for the sake of being “famous”

• MadCow says:

is it me or is everybody trying to “best” the ipod? just give up, the ipod won… no matter in design, technology, and marketing, it has won. the sooner these designers understand that, the sooner we can move on to with actual design.

• Ekove says:

As I wrote to Andrew on some forums, he is really skilled, but his presentations are almost identical for every product he designs. His ideas are also lacking. This product doesn’t look comfortable to hold and a phone/mp3 player that doesn’t have a standardized shape makes it harder to get accessories for, so if you want to go far from standardized at least give it a good reason. I don’t like the colors or the form either but that could be just personal opinion. The product doesn’t really give anything new than the different materials choices but really he should’ve placed them more strategically to make them easier to feel.

• Buffalo says:

I normally don’t post comments, but I’ve gotta post this. Your criticisms are not constructive and subjective. I’ve been looking at Andrew’s work from when he was 15 and I’ve never thought that he lacked “ideas”. His work has been posted on this site numerous times, and I don’t think that would have been possible if his work had no creativity. As a design lover, I don’t want this kid to be discouraged by comments like yours.

• curtis says:

yeah Ive been seeing this boy’s design,too. was kinda shock and I really admire his great idea. someones are just particularly critical of others’ product or performance.of course,it is needed sometimes, yet well..his single piece of work was fresh for me, seeing that he is just teenager! and I dont think he goes after so-called “famous” he just loves to draw out the concept from his mind. Let´s have a round of applause for this 17yrs old boy and looking forward to hearing again about new “novelty” good job!