Ecolights For Your EcoLife

Unsurprisingly, installing high power 500 watt lamps in your in-ground pool is a real pain and not something you want to try and ‘wing’.  Circumventing the whole electricity thing is Lysandre Follet’s Ecolights which use the pre-existing flow from the filter pump to drive a small turbine and a set of LEDs.  Nothing earth shattering, but a good reminder of how “ReUse” can apply to energy just as readily as the cardboard boxes you get in the mail.

Designer: Lysandre Follet

• Tre says:

Is this thing already on the market or the packaging is Illustrator? I would like to try one of these on our products.

Really nice concept of energy saving or using all the available sources.

• Donna says:

I have been looking for something like this for the last few years. I want one right now!!!!!!!!!!!

• No it’s not on the market right now . It’s only a concept + 3d rendering . Still looking for producer .

Best,

• Wesley says:

The thing is about cost. For biz man it should be profitable.

• Kiran says:

Sometimes it is enough to be able to come up with a workable idea and then wait for components to become affordable enough to produce the unit profitably.

Many of the electronic items we use in our daily life were never profitable at the time of invention. Anyway, just because end consumers can’t afford it now, doesn’t mean the designer wouldn’t be able to sell it to a company who might be willing to wait or have the connections to get cheaper parts, mass produce it to keep cost down, etc.

• We make a lot of special LED products, so we can easily be the producer, just email me!
      Chris

• zippyflounder says:

Its not going to produce a heck of a lot of light (no where close to a normal pool light), but its a nice idea and should do ok on the market.

• kiran says:

I have to applaud the idea. It’s a brilliant example of creative thinking.

My gut tells me the ultra micro hydro-turbine might be enough to power a standard hot tub lamp. The only caveat is you might have to have the jets on all the time to keep th elight on!

• I would love to see something like this produced! I have an inground pool but now lights. Obviously, it’s risky and quite expensive to have any installed, and it seems no one is smart enough to create something cheap to stick to the side and sell it at my local pool store.

• KP says:

Great idea and product … MiniGorille any ideas or time line on when this idea will be in production?

• stuart says:

You can by a water powered LED shower head for £10 which senses heat change and thus changes colour. This device in effect exists it just needs the screw thread and shape for a pool!

• Tollon says:

If it existed (does it yet) could this work in a fast flowing stream?