Useful Tools in a Designer’s Arsenal

As a practicing architect, one of the difficulties I face is the pearl that is the English system of measurement that persists in the United States construction industry. It makes international projects difficult to jump to. It means you need scale measuring tools that have lots of weird markings on it, and are useless abroad. And it makes adding on a calculator impossible. Lucky for us inchcalc comes to the rescue.

It’s a special feet-inches-and 1/16th inch calculator application that transforms your iphone from generic phone supercomputer into the most awesome construction device ever. This is the must-have application for architects and cost estimators alike.

Designer: inchCALC

• Lamah says:

Um, what… revolutionary… design.

• zippyflounder says:

• Keith says:

I remember programming stuff like this into my TI-83 in high school. These simple conversions should come quickly to a practicing architect.

• The Real Architect says:

Hmm, as a practicing architect, you need to know the basic Feet/Metre conversions as second nature! :)

• Andrew says:

inchCALC is much, much more than conversions.

For instance, take a 4/12 roof with a rafter length of 26′-5 1/2″ & quickly tell me the Rise.

Take a wall with a length of 33′ – 6 3/4″ & tell me the centerlines of 3 equally spaced windows. Our Imperial measurement system is a bear to work with without one of these calculators. And, it’s built into my iPhone!

• Eric says:

I agree with Andrew. Sure you should know the basic conversions as second nature, cause up until this point you had to! This goes beyond that and provides simple, fast solutions for the hourly charging contractor that makes the process more efficient and error free. I do still believe of course that an understanding of the math come with it. (This should not turn into people like some behind registers who can’t count money cause the computer will tell them the change.)

• Iv An says:

The idea is nice. Unfortunately I have more sophisticated troubles, such as converting of pounds per square inch to kilograms per square meter.

• Travis says:

If you liked this app, you’ll love Carpenter’s Helper.

It’s available in a standard version for $4.99, and a free lite version. It has greater functionality than InchCalc, and a cleaner look to boot!