Poll Position

Waiting for a public bus in any town can be not only mind numbingly boring but a very uncomfortable experience. In bigger cities, sharing a bus bench/bed with a passed out drunkard is not uncommon. For those not even lucky enough to share these precious moments in life and have to stand and wait for our environmentally responsible public transportation, I present the “Duv-tal” public transportation insta-squat seating system by Catherine Pena. If you forget to bring some reading materials don’t fret, this fold-down seat not only lets you cop a squat but also validates in the form of this inspiring message printed on the surface “You are a role model. You are actively improving the environment by riding the bus.” Warm fuzzies all around.

Designer: Catherine Pena

• Lu'ay says:

you obviously dont ride the bus every day

• 수갑찬줄알았음 ㅡㅡ

• Alec says:

Is this really make sense to “design” something like this in 2008 and show here?

• Dan says:

I agree. This does seem a little backwards. We need designs that are innovative. Implementing anything like this would seem a bit pointless.

• Lu'ay says:

you obviously dont ride the bus every day

• 55525 says:

just two seat,no useful

• rayelle says:

i think this is a very practical design, I’d use it if it was around

• joey says:

looks like a street side garbage can in recycled plastic green, but the pictures depict treated wood green but a bit darker. this one will rot where it collects water in a wet environment. maybe the garbage can style recycled plastic would be better.

• deanween8 says:

use a different material rather than wood. and a backrest perhaps??? I don’t think that a chap wants to lean back onto the post with an assortment of neon-colored chewing gum stuck to it.

• zippyflounder says:

Ok first the good stuff, he/she gets kudos for makeing it real, building one rather than some pretty frop froo drawing of a non functional what ever. This one is made of wood, fine, at least its MADE not just renderd. The bad part, no matter how its made or of what some tagging chit for brains will do their best to destroy it or vandalise it.

• Lu'ay says:

i agree completely, i dont see why so many people are being so pessimistic about it, if you dont like the design, DONT SIT ON IT, but when the bus is 25 min late and you cant stomach the smell of the bum lying on the bench, your'll be sorry!!

• Lu'ay says:

i agree completely, i dont see why so many people are being so pessimistic about it, if you dont like the design, DONT SIT ON IT, but when the bus is 25 min late and you cant stomach the smell of the bum lying on the bench, your’ll be sorry!!

• iSH says:

well its not the fact that we are “pessimistic”. This is like saying complaining about a stone wheel design in 2009 would be “mean”. Its not the fact that we look at all the ‘bad features’ its just that there is no good features. Its only 2 seats and at most it would be vandalized or a homeless person would STILL be sitting on it. They need a more innovating design then just a fordable chair on a stick.

• carl says:

mmm the smell of dog piss.. lovely.

• Steven says:

Hi. I dont know in your cities but in Colombia, on the streets, the common place to join the trash to be colectec by the garbaje truck is the Stick (I dont know whats the name of the stick were go trought the telefone and energy cables). I agree with carl. All the DOGS piss on this, i know that because i have one dog.. So we have garbaje, dog piss, the smok produced by the buses passing close to us, positibily of been washed by a car passing trought some water on the street..

And the wood could have a short life in the outside.. So i would prefere a concret seat..

• Steven says:

• Alec says:

“Designer” did a design work and received all good comments at all time? No way.
    I don’t think any similar site including this one are letting parents to give out good comments for their kids’ school works.

It’s too easy to say “Good” to agree someone’s design work just because not need to think further to proof that the design is not working or doesn’t worth to get into production. That’s meaningless to improve our world.

Good design must fulfill certain requirements. It doesn’t worth to write too much to explain why this design is stupid.

1. There are thousand millions of bus stop in the world, I didn’t see the above bus stop with concrete (cross walk as seen at the image) pole in my city, my province, my country. So, that’s mean doesn’t work for certain kind of bus stop.

1a. Due to above issue, different types of bus stop need different construction mean the design can only apply in some area.

2. Only 2 seats available at each bus stop. All other people must stand of seat with strangers and drunkard when waiting for buses?

2a. Why don’t we having individual seats or long bench with dividers? No more “bed” for homeless too.

3. If wood is the only material the designer chose for the design, may be using wood sounds more environmental friendly, why not using recycle material to save the world without killing more trees?

3a. PLEASE don’t use advertising messages as a reference when doing design. Make sure the consequence when choosing material, wood won’t last long so replacement must be make.

4. Those micro (not even small) prints are wasting of ink, who can read it when sat on it. Who can read it at its position when folded up? Don’t tell me what it wrote, I wanted to see it by myself.

4a. It’s ok if the designer knows nothing about typography but there is no point to waste more ink to tell people you are “doing good to the environment” by taking public transportation at every bus stop, most of them do it without choice.

5. Mock up or prototype is just a further step beyond hand sketch or computer simulation. Designer and technician will reject the design with the actual test at the mock up pieces. I don’t think a mock up letting us open Champaign and cerebrate. It just shows us it doesn’t work on this design. No marks for bad design in any stage.

5a. I believe the man sitting on the bus stop chair is having a regular man’s size, his feet can’t stop on the floor probably, which mean the position of those chairs are not only too high for ladies and kids, too high for men too. Is that the designer forgot to make a measurement for human being?

6. Isn’t it dangers to sit too close to the road?

7. The last point, solving issues or create things to fulfill demands are what designers do. No design work can 100% fulfill all our needs, but the bottom line is not going to create more issues. As I mention at the second comment, waiting for a bus is a habit for more than “?” years, please take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus , oh, it’s about 182 years ago. Are we waited so long for another Da Vinci to solve a little problem with two wooden high chairs at all bus stop for us?

Miss Catherine Pena please spend your time for a better work (or school), I don’t even think this is a good concept in consideration for those who need to wait for a bus for half an hour.

• Catherine Pena says:

I(the designer, can assure you that I have considered all of your 7 points. But perhaps it might be worth your time to consider a few things before you make so many assumptions. This project was initially a temporary public art project in Memphis TN. There are 8,000 bus stops in Memphis and less than 20 % of them have ANY seating. Yes a bench would be great and more seating, but the reality is that MATA (Memphis Area Transit Authority) will not install seating and shelter until a single bus stop is used 100 times a day. Plus most of the roads do not have shoulders or sidewalks, leaving its riders in unsafe locations regardless of what they are sitting on. I think it is funny that people don’t start thinking about the safety of bus passengers until something is installed to complain about.
      The design can accommodate different pole shapes and diameters. But yes it does require a pole.
      Yes I agree, wood is not a proper material, but when they (the chairs) are only going to be installed outside for 30 days and you are working with a small budget, wood, yes my friend, wood is a good material.
      The chair stands 24 inches off the ground and the last time I checked that is a pretty average height for a chair.
      I am currently working on a prototype that is made out of a more permanent material.
      If you are interested you can log on to: ridinggreen.blogspot.com and read my full field study.

• Brennan says:

Interesting, I can see both sides of this arguement, in fact, before I read the comments, I was thinking very similar things to our “Alec” above.

Standing to close to the road and getting hit is your fault for stupidity. Sitting too close to the road on an installment is the designer/implementer’s stupidity.

It’s true, no matter who good the intentions are, you’ll still end up sitting next to the drunkard.

Even if you had a bench that he took up all but two seats laying down on, you’d still be in the same place as this is now. But, since our Mr. drunkard has nowhere to lay down, he’ll sit on the seat opposite you around the pole, only leaving one seat.

Which means this really accomplished nothing. And that is an antonym of good design. It’s about solving problems effectively, not *slightly* shifting the idea around and presenting it like it’s a world saver…

I do give kudos for actually building it, though.

• karl says:

24 inches is a damn high seat

• @LordMami says:

The bus stops around here don't even have benches and so I really like this as a ( most likely ) cheaper way of going about a few seats at the bus stop without spending the budget on a full out bus bench/covered seating area/etc/whatever. Mostly, even if it's only two seats – there's somewhere for the elderly to sit down, or the lady with all her groceries to sit – who, around here, are the majority of bus riders. I think this would only work areas without a lot of bus traffic ( like where I live ), and only at specific stations – but it isn't a bad idea.

• @LordMami says:

• ENRIQUE says:

HI. I would like to use this design? can you contact the manufacturer o admin of the product for me.

thanks.