My One Handed Thumb Controlled Camera. Ambidexterity Be Damned!

Mikhail Stawsky believes he has the answer to designing a truly universally comfortable camera called INDEX. All the mechanics are the same as any said camera but the body has one handle giant handle that rotates left or right, depending on your dexterity. The aperture/shutter display and trigger are all within thumb’s reach. The main part of the camera houses the lens, viewfinder, screen, and mode dial. The flash is hidden in the handle itself tho it’s size and proximity to the lens may be an issue. So What do you think?

Designer: Mikhail Stawsky

• Michael says:

is it really an inconvenience to hold a camera with two hands? Also as far I am concerned, I only use my other hand a means of stability and leverage when I take pictures, which would be lost if you take a picture with one hand.

Also you would need some function in the camera to recognize when the handle is on the right side or the left side so that the menu button navigator isn’t going in the wrong direction.

Just my thoughts.

• Barbara Wall says:

If you only have one hand to work with, this seems like a promising idea. Nikon gave up on its left-hand version in ’98, for understandable reasons. But there are a lot of stroke survivors who need a LIGHTWEIGHT, one-handed camera that isn’t an Instamatic…

• eric says:

poopoo platter

• Alec says:

I can’t see how people can use one thumb to control all buttons in this design if using just one hand. Also the arrangement of the lens compartment and the handle won’t gives users a good balance when holding by one hand, it’s hard to remain horizontal level when shooting too.

Yashica/Kyocera did a real good job in design and produced a single hand held SLR almost 20 years ago with the choice of left or right hand grip. Holding from bottom can allow users reduce efforts. Good design

• TH says:

This is one of those things where you’d really need to try and use it before you can say whether it works or not. From the renderings, I can’t really tell how this is supposed to work – is there a strap on the handle?

• IGreenSpot says:

it looks that it can work to me, but the answer is, do I feel comfortable using just one hand to shoot? Personally, I feel okay using one hand with my handycam, so I think this might work with my digicam, why not …

• Jerry says:

Hi Mikhail,

Looks like an interesting concept. I own a Canon Digital Rebel (xTi). I couldn’t find the roller that Canon uses for setting up you’re shot. Using this roller to control Shutter speed. Hold down A+/- and then roller to adjust aperture. I think this a very important component and i see its missing.

The other thing is using the other hand. Well i use it to stabilize that shot! I’m sure other do it too. So i kinda miss the affordence that give me.

Another thing is, what is the distance between the view fonder and the Shutter Button ? This might be crucial coz might have be a health hazard! its worse when you have a pair of prescription spectacles.

I’m left handed and i realize you’ve thought about the minority that we are ;).

Thanks,
    Jerry.

• Mikhail STAWSKY says:

>>>Yes, I know these features on any Canon SLRs. It is controled by one big mode dial. This position is very suitable for 1st and 2nd fingers. And other fingers hold a handle. So, modes such as Apreture, Speed and other are using by a buttons (4th upper pic) with another hand.
      __________________________________

>>> What is the problem use anoter hand to support main hand?
      I just said all control buttuns, levers, dials are in working area of one palm and it is VERY comfortable and attractive.
      __________________________________

>>> a distance is very loooooooooooooooooooong. See a upper pic #2
      And the position of viewfinder is very good! Nose is not a problem. Nose does not touch a camera. I thing it is very comfotable :)

Best regards,
      Mik

• pouet says:

Please use a real camera (not a mobile phone)…

and you will see how crappy and useless is your “creation”

In an other hand, i don’t see how your camera is more convenient to use with one hand.
    first, nobody would use only one hand to shoot a picture. secondly, if you really have to use one hand (why the hell using only one, again), i guess it’s easier with a standard camera, than with yours, which obviously requires the thumb to press the shutter…

design is about adapting functionality to the user, not doing something looking crazy.

• Damian D. UK says:

Excuse me!!! But a few of you seem to be forgetting that there are people like myself out there. I really want to get into photography in a big way, but as I lost the use of my left arm 12 years ago, I’ve not found a good camera (SLR) that I can use and use well. Making full use of all the controls and options. So anyone that can improve the life of us one armed bandits is a saint in my eyes. Keep going my friend, because if you perfect it you’ll have a customer base of one armed bandits around the globe, I’m sure.

• jenny says:

ok, how about people who have strokes and only have the use of their left hand? Like me, and only your left hand ok try to take a picture with only one hand. it is almost impossible and to veiw or modify pictures, forget it!

• Nash says:

I am looking for a left handed camera for a high school girl who has fallen in love with photography. This girl does not have the use of her right hand. Thats why a person might not use both hands.

• powers says:

Seems innovative. Like others have mentioned, I think I would wind up using two hands anyway. Really that’s just how one uses a camera. I would have to see the scale of it too. I’d like to see one comped into a photo.

• bubbah says:

might not work for those who require 1 hand use inasmuch as the position of the single hand may not be easy to achieve …targeting one-handers, one may assume a subclass with partial 1 hand use or weakness which means work should be done to achieve some additional choices of hand position. Maype a pistol style holder as an accessory and/or a remote that can adapt to various input devices (blow tube, for example), the placement of the flash could be mitigated by allowing use with the flash/handle rotated in various orientations with detents and then a swivel in the flash itself to allow it to do direct/indirect/bounce/etc…just a coupla thoughts …bravo for the effort!!

• The BAT! says:

The display is a tactile graphics device, not Braille, unless I’m really missing something.

Having said that, I can see more applications for this kind of technology. For example, reading street signs, billboards, documents….. There are other devices that can do this sort of thing, and convert text by OCR (Optical Character Recognition) into Braille and / or speech. They cost a second mortgage, but they do exist.

Examples are the KNFB Reader, which uses a camera phone. Another is the SiRecognizer, made in Italy.

• bubbah says:

I was thrilled when Panasonic came out with the SV-AS10 which as 2 (yes “two”) shutter releases on it allowing me to use it in various orientations with my one available hand! It is a tiny “credit card” camera only 2mpxl weighing about 2oz. Unfortunately, they have not brought it out with greater resolution. In the interim, I have purchased an inexpensive 5mpxl cam which looked good but I cannot use at all (VuPoint DV-DA1-VP). I am not able to handle it and take photos with one hand. Too bad. I wish you well with this project, but do recommend you consult quite a few persons with one-hand requirements for tips about this item. Further, I suggest you look at several “one hand” websites, some of which have sales links or stores. You may reach more of the limited “one-hand” public you hope to penetrate. If I could use your thing, I would surely try it. Bravo!

• Derek says:

Why would someone use one hand? Have you never heared of the results of a stroke? Why should someone who has had a stroke have to give up photography?

• Radha121 says:

I work with people who have disabilities and have recently come in contact with someone who has lost the use of their left arm but would so love to be able to continue photography as they used to. Folks, just because you have the use of both your arms does not mean everyone in the universe does. Imagine what doors this tye of innovation would open for others. I hope to see something like this in the market. It would be so great to be able to say to people, yes you can, where they have only heard, no you can’t, in the past!