Paki The Hippo Is Eco-Edutainment

Let’s face it, we all care about the environment but managing energy, water, and waste is a challenge in itself. The key is instilling eco-behavior as a part of our everyday routine. That’s where Paki the Hippo comes in.

Designer Paul Berger created Paki as a edutainment way for school kids to learn about energy consumption. With teeth, eyes, ears, nose, and mouth all articulated, Paki aims to teach in an uber cute way instead of staring at boring graphs and topographic charts. The adult generation will not be able to make a direct impact on our problems now so we need to focus on educating our children. Ultimately they will be the ones to bring about a paradigm shift in social ecology.

Designer: Paul Berger

• Ethan says:

I’m sure there’s a perfectly reasonable etymology for the name here, but won’t it piss off more than a few Pakistanis?

• M says:

Nice job naming this hippo after a racial slur. I’m eagerly awaiting Nigger the Narwhal, Sambo the Sheep, Kike the Cockerel etc. It’s a nice toy but with a name like that they might as well have painted a swastika on its forehead.

• Bassem B. says:

What they said.

• Ethan says:

Hey, it’s an honest mistake. Don’t get too angry, you guys.

• you says:

hey, what are you talking about? I just wanna know what exactly this is.

• wedgehog says:

a href=”” title=”?”

So it’s a talking toy? very original! looks great though :) nice design … I like the way it looks like pottery but is probably made of plastic – some sort of expanded polymer. (after all pottery isn’t ideal for a child’s toy)

From the pictures I deduce: it waggles its ears, has LED’s in it’s toes and has speakers in it’s nose. But WHAT DOSE THE MOUTH DO? … is this the essential part that educates the kiddies about the environment, any ideas?

• wedgehog says:

… I see now it’s a way for school kids to learn about energy consumption. The teeth, eyes, ears, nose, and mouth are all articulated. Essentially a talking robot with pre-programmed lectures for children.

Is this really a more effective method than showing videos?

• eric says:

it seems that talking to a child is not the best way to engage them in educational material, kids prefer hands on interaction. if its fun they are more prone to remember it

• Paki is very cute. I’m sure that children like it very much.
    Howrever, would you explain in detail how to use it?
    I’m Korean, I’m studying edutainment. Paki is very interesting to me. But I don’t understand how you can teach children energy consumption. I really wonder it.

• Maria says:

Packy as in packing or pack stuff…maybe
    Funny comments though!

Besides the offense taken…what does this hippo does?
    He opens his mouth and then what?
    POOR description.

• soto says:

Calling something Paki is pure ignorance. These people should learn more about the world instead of being completely sub immersed in their own country and culture.

• xXblahXx says:

sheesh, guys! the “paki” name is probably just a word in japenese or something

• kg says:

Paki could be from “pachyderm,” which is a term given to elephants, hippos and rhinos. The change in spelling was probably to make it easier for kids to remember, but yes, a bit of an oversight as far as racial sensitivities go…

• paul berger says:

hye, i’m the designer who made “paki”
    what you got on the website is really not enough to understand :)
    it’s a bit difficult to explain in english how my hippo works.. and i dpn’t have many time now. but i’m gonna do it as soon as i have more time.

“paki” is an african name and means “witness”. the thing is that the project is here presented with just a part of it. here is a link where the other part is explained as well, but in french…

there are more pictures.. i’m gonna tell more about it later.

see you soon and thanks a lot for your attention !

• paul berger says:

Hong Gi-hyeon , you can let me your mail i would be pleased to speak of it with you !

• Em says:

*ahem* It just goes to show you can’t be too careful (& this really does apply in this case).Love the premise but better not launch with that name in my neck of the woods as it’ll quickly undermine any goodwill.

• leO says:

where can i get one??

• leO says:

where can i get one??

• Joe says:

Paki is short for Patrick in Ireland.