Ferrari “we give up, you do it…”

Seems Italian car maker Ferrari has had just about enough of their whinny customers wanting custom this and custom that on their mid-life crisis. More than enough customers have waltzed into their Maranello headquarters with their own design ideas of the perfect Ferrari to convince executives at Ferrari to launch a “One Off” program. I can almost hear the conversation now between two Ferrari generals….Ferrari Exective #1 ” Asa matter witha all of dees people and their-a estupid designs ideas…? Mama mia! Whata we gonna do-a to shut-a dem up-a?” Ferrari Executive #2 ” Hey, I gotta a good idea! We take-a der money and we let-a them make-a whatever dey want-a…” Ferrari Executive #1 “ok, but no SUVs-a and no Ferrari Mini Vans-a”. So that’s the deal. For two million Euros you can bring in your own design. As long as it fits onto a current Ferrari chassis and your check clears, you can have your very own Ferrari “Dave” or Ferrari “Mohammed” or Ferrari “Takashi”… Enzo is spinning in his hand stitched leather grave.

[ Via: EuroCar ]

• Rafa Lacerda says:

The no.5 looks more like a Lambo!

For me the no. 4 is the greatest one, for sure!
    Beautiful design…

• Def says:

Nice, we will have to wait until we can afford one – start saving – or we wait until other manufacturers join. I thought Scion has something similar – only cheaper and more like a box shape.

I could understand anyone buying a ferrari and only getting stock items. Where is the deal in buying then?

Is there a concept of a fercedes, toyori, …

• prodmod says:

um.. Anthony James? I never thought I would take offense to someone giving a stereotypical italian-american accent joke in a public internet arena, but I take offense here. That is not how an italian sounds speaking english. You didnt even do a good job with the phonetic impersonation and its not even a good joke. It’s actually kind of embarrassing. I mean “mama mia?” c’mon. This is the equivalent of talking about Chinese or Japanese people mixing their R’s and W’s. Has that been done on this site yet? I would never even think of making that kind of joke if I wrote an artictle seen by thousands of viewers around the world. I think you should remove it and refrain from that kind of humor. But that’s just my opinion. Maybe Yanko Design isnt considered a professional publication?..sorry but I cant help but be dissappointed with what I read

• Fredrik Stenstr&ouml says:

I been reading this site for half a month every day and one thing I did observe is that Anthony James writing style is not cut out for the design readers in general. Most of his posts do contain some humor but I doubt many people get it. At most his sense of humor will only appeal to a small percentage. To add more, his writing style is more on the negative end and I don't think any designer appreciates that type of publicity. I take my time to write this because I care about this site considering the wonders it has done for me as a designer. I can understand that you want to bring unexpected context and strive to write things no one has thought of before, but you crossed the line on this post. And sometime you do need to own up to your mistakes. There is no harm in taking responsibility, it gives the site credibility.

Note to the publisher: you need to bring in editors that will appeal to your demographics or at most don't give complete freedom to write about anything and everything. Love Long's writing, it's informative, positive but still has personality to it you know?

• Thanks for your comment, but I have to ask… ASA MATTA FOR YOU?! The joke was the bad cliche version of an Italian accent… Two ethnic groups that I get a pass on when making purposefully bad ethnically stereotypical jokes about are Cubans and Italians. I am both, my mother a Cuban, my father an Italian. Now shut uppa you face!!! and thanks for reading. 😉

• Fredrik Stenström says:

I been reading this site for half a month every day and one thing I did observe is that Anthony James writing style is not cut out for the design readers in general. Most of his posts do contain some humor but I doubt many people get it. At most his sense of humor will only appeal to a small percentage. To add more, his writing style is more on the negative end and I don’t think any designer appreciates that type of publicity. I take my time to write this because I care about this site considering the wonders it has done for me as a designer. I can understand that you want to bring unexpected context and strive to write things no one has thought of before, but you crossed the line on this post. And sometime you do need to own up to your mistakes. There is no harm in taking responsibility, it gives the site credibility.

Note to the publisher: you need to bring in editors that will appeal to your demographics or at most don’t give complete freedom to write about anything and everything. Love Long’s writing, it’s informative, positive but still has personality to it you know?

• Fo Shizzle says:

OMG … get over yourself

• prodmod says:

i guess I meant R’s and L’s

• Tech says:

Beautiful design ! Thanks.

• Will says:

I could seriously do better than these designs. 3 is the most interesting

• Sam, Wisconsin says:

With gas prices now on the rise, I have to ask a dull question: Is the only innovation for Ferrari is in the outside looks, and never on the engine level? In other words, do they plan to keep on catering to the current gasoline engine without any thinking or inventing any new engines that use new energies? Don’t you think that the “rich and famous” are the ones that embrace the newest technologies, because it is the most advanced? or is it that Ferrari have become just another” lazy-rich-fat-spoiled-country club-good for nothing- show off-ego centric” kind of company? Ferrari is famous for its engines, not outer design.

BTW, nice collection. I’ll get them for my son for his match box collection.

• powers says:

Innovation? Ferrari? That’ll be the day! That company’s refusal to innovate spawned both Lamborghini and Pagani. But I do agree that they have prettier engines than skins. My personal favorite being the 288 GTO’s twin turbo V8. That was a handsome engine.

• jOE says:

I don’t like the last design…… looks funny… :p

• Joe says:

So this article is wrong. Half wrong. While Ferrari is doing the “one-off,” the images shown are 3 year old student designs from a Ferrari/Alcoa sponsored design competition. As seen here:

and here

Website autofiends.com and autoblog.com picked up on this article as if it was the real thing. Way to go.

• CP says:

message to high horse designers… put your whistle away and try not to take yourselves so seriously… the guy was just doing a Mario and Luigi spoof (remember nintendo?), not trying to step on your ultra sensitive toes. If you want something to yell about check out this weeks New Yorker with Obama on the cover.

and about the designs… almost all of them have issues with proportion. I think the ferrari designers are payed well because they are damn good at their jobs and 99% of people who can buy ferraris should keep their day jobs and leave the designing to designers like us. im pretty sure that if i ever see a ferrari designed by “joe businessman” ill vomit. I hope my design friends would agree.

• powers says:

I know I do. Ferrari does need a new design direction but the above designs are not it. Those German Lambos look pretty decent… Kidding.

• L!M£ says:

No1 looks good…i like da way they have added a cover at the rear part.

• L!M£ says:

No1 looks good…i like da way they have added a cover at the rear part.

• dave says:

4 looks like an aston martin or a ferrari dino or f466 i think it is something like that

• ID says:

Do you really think those concepts are from Ferrari? Lol, it’s so clear you don’t know anything, they have been done by students. Shame yourself.

• Dave says:

wooooooooooooooooooooooooow………awwwwww mannn…..if i eva in mah life see sumthin like dat…wooooowweeeeee….i will past out

• Hernan Vega says:

They need to shut up and buy the car.

• stephen russell says:

Love 2 buy & rent, darn those Maint rates & Insurance fees.