Twist and Squeeze

Designer Jason Kline discovered people don’t use most of the buttons on today’s TV remotes. The complex array of function only confuses some and alienates others. Most people also only watch 12 different channels so why are we still using these ever elongating sticks? Kline suggests another way called the Licentia.

The Licentia is straight forward, no-nonsensical remote control consisting of 2 discs which can be spun or compressed in a number of gesture patterns to interact with your TV. Once you get the hang of it, channel hopping will become easier and faster. None of that cumbersome numeric keypad stuff.

Unfortunately it’s saucer-like shape doesn’t mean it comes with alien technology so you won’t be turning off neighboring TV’s at huge tech conferences. Yeah, I’m looking at you Gizmodo. :)

Designer: Jason Kline

• Sharpy McPaintbrush says:

First!

• Don says:

Second.

Apple discovered the need for slick interfaces a while ago with their iPod interface. And they built it into their front row RC. Works fine and is yet a bit more simple than this double disc which might turn out a bit tricky in the end.

• Jason Kline says:

Unfortunately I don’t have the resource of a company like Apple to find these new intefaces. I’m a single person working alone, so, while the design as seen above is not 100% perfect by any means; it is a concept, it direclty answers all the problems and issues that I found during my ethnography and user research.

Maybe you can call this Licentia v1.0.

• Jason Kline says:

A few more images of the details and some ofther portfolio samples can be found at

• zippyflounder says:

two hands needed to operate…….WHY? Its a poor solution to a common problem…keep trying.

• normanize says:

i dont think the two handed thing would be an issue its just different. this thing looks great and provides a cool interaction.

• zippyflounder says:

oh come now, think it through…its darkish you have to find it, then deduce wich side does wich, then operate it from a reclined position with both hands……nawww.

• gellpak says:

Just judging from the images, it seems like a good idea, but I wonder about how it might be easily held. What about making it a ring shape instead of solid in the center, so you could put – say – two or three fingers from your left hand through the center and spread them apart a bit to hold the remote in place while you operate it with your other hand. Maybe even plan for this with some conveniently located buttons for the left thumb?

• west side says:

to quote sammy peeps ” i wouldn’t even stop to piss on this if i saw it on fire.”

• Playstation says:

I just told my friend that I was about to throw away my TV remote because I have to use my other hand to hold the Cable button to switch channel.
    I don’t see this is for me, I hate using both hands to operate a remote. But if that’s something like a touch screen, I’d consider one.

• kwc_sd says:

2 handed operation for a remote control is almost like having to get up to go to the tv and turn the old school dials, like back in the day, pre-remote control days.

I’m a professional designer and I don’t mean to hate on you, so here’s some feedback:
    – if your remote is on a table or held with the other hand while switching the channel or volume, you might accidentally hit the mute or the accept button
    – whenever you design, it really has to have an inherent need to create it. If it ain’t better than the existing ones, there’s no merit in the idea.
    – portfolio-wise and I assume you’re still in school, pen+paper vs. mouse+computer…I will take the pen+paper anytime. Unlimited resource and they’re both just tools. It doesn’t matter how well you render, design is not about flashy renderings. Make sure you really dive deep in solving actual design problems that garner an inherent need before you hit the render button.

Good luck mate!

• Jason Kline says:

Yo all, thanks for the comments.

As I said before, this concept is way way way from being perfect, I see this as being one of its first iterations of design, so there will be future versions.

Agreed, the two handed operation is obviously an issue, so it will be addressed in the next version, but I think the validity of the gestures for the controls is what I wanted to look into.

kwc_sd:

I have literally just gradauted, thanks for the comments on the portfolio. I wouldn’t really call the work on my coroflot as being a full portfolio, its just a taste of some projects which I am currently assembling now (which shows some design process), including sketches and research for all my projects.

I view my research and development based on genuine user insight just as much as a “flashy” rendering, but you shouldn’t forget that a rendering is there to play its part just as much as any other section of the process therefore it is equally important.

• zippyflounder says:

“based on genuine user insight”….oh come on, you mis interpered any research you got. You need a larger sample size and truly open mind. The suggestion of blasting away with pen and paper is a good one ( I am old school too) that lets you aak the hard questions like “is this even close to right” and if it fails, wad up that sheet and toss it.

• nick says:

Nice exploration – don’t get discouraged.

• Lim says:

I agreed with kwc_sd

Hmm…… You mentioned ” The Licentia is straight forward, no-nonsensical…… ” And after that you said ” Once you get the hang of it….. ”

Iif i were just to get nowadays remote tv controller, i woulndt have to read any manual to use the basic functions or even have to get the hang of it.

So, is this to solve or to let peole learn something new ?