iPhone’s Second Coming

Well the second coming has finally arrived. The brand new iPhone version 2.0 was just announced by the master of marketing Mr. Steve Jobs. What is so “new” about the new iPhone? Here are the basic relevant features for your average user:

– 3G Network Compatibility (This means much, much faster internet access. A very needed update.)
– Extended Battery Life based on previous iPhone.
– Now comes in black and white.
– More memory. (8GB & 16GB)
– Flush headphone jack (No more headphone adaptors)
– Available in over 70 countries. (sorry Tennessee)
– Full GPS! (never get lost again…ever.)

Shipments start July 11th and will cost $199 for the 8GB and $299 for the 16GB. There are many more software updates you can read all about on Apple’s site here. Now back to your actual life.

• pickupjojo says:

I loooove it! <3

• ModuleS says:

we knew 3g iphone was coming but the price at $200.00? That’s insanely cheap for what you get.

• Haris says:

to be clear,,, i am disappointed, there hasn’t much change happened, and it needs a lot more than these slight changes to impress both the design and mobile community,,,,,the mac has gone to much more changes but hasn’t needed an convention to introduce that.

• zippyflounder says:

i am impressed, sleaker outside, same useable inside., price is nice…and no feature creap…zippy approves.

• Adex2491 says:

I’m sort of disappointed. I was really hoping for a front facing camera, or at least a flash camera. The camera on the iPhone sucks.

• rimplestultskin says:

a higher-res camera, in my opinion, isn’t all that important…2.0 megapixels is enough for a phone camera, and any time other than that, find a slim point-and-shoot with a 10 (or however many you want) megapixel sensor and keep that for extra use. and if you use video conferencing, a front facing cam would be cool, but that doesn’t matter for me.

• Honkycat says:

Personally, I’m thrilled because I’ve been waiting for it to come out to get on board the iPhone bus. To me, the fact that they cut the price in half is AWESOME. So, as a newcomer, the fact that not only do I get all of the OneGen stuff, but a couple of new features and 50% off.

• Mitch says:

I think the lack of MMS is a pretty massive failing…and still no vid capture as well. Those are two very large things that most of the top end phones support (hell some of the NOT so top end phones support it). My guess is that they were on the drawing board but scrapped to hit the 199-299 price point they were gunning for.

I’d like to see an iphone limited edition or something for those of us with dollars to drop that would add MMS support, video support, and maybe up the pixels on the camera in general.

• zippyflounder says:

starndard product evo 101, get the big hunk, make it the bench mark, toss in a few special edditions for the market slices you missed….ownage.

• Pingback: Elliott C. Back
  • Lstormy10 says:

Looks to me that this new iPhone is not necessarily going to beat every phone out there (some of it depends on personal taste), but it is definitely a more appealing package than the first iPhone.

• Steve-no-Job says:

People need to understand that this is marketing strategy. Apple will not give you ALL the features, it will be adding 2-3 features every model every year, so you have to keep buying the next one.

• TheGremlin says:

I understand a business needing to make money. I bought my MacBook as i thought it was good value (when considering the build quality, OS, after sales support). But when it comes to the iPhone, Apple seems to be overly taking advantage of its position by releasing a next-gen product with a few last-gen features. All things considering, there doesn’t seem to be much effort (technologically) put into this version, and the reason why i think they are milking their customers is because i believe it is their strategy to NOT produce the best product (whereas Apple Computers have always been pushing the high-end) but to release what they can get away with, so they can keep their product cycle short. This seems like more of a refresh (ala MacBook Pros) and i think they should call it just that. The reason i gripe is that i love the iPhone OS and sync possibilities with my Mac/MobileMe however, my faith in Apple as a consumer friendly company is waining.

• Lim says:

LOL WTF….. Half the price….. What am i gonna to with mine now ??

• Nathan says:

If it is locked into contract and hard to get without signing up for 24 months, you might find yours in very short supply and high demand! It could end up being worth a lot of money, particularly for those not really interested in 3g or who live outside a 3g area.

It all depends on the way this phone is sold.

• Nathan says:

I like this phone, and think that the few features upgraded are OK, but the best bit is the price reduction.

Keep in mind that although they haven’t upgraded it all that much, the iphone 2.0 software is a huge step forward! It was the software that really set this thing apart (I’m including multi-touch here) and i think version 2.0 will highlight the software gap between the iphone and other mobiles to a greater extent.

As for the lack of MMS, it is hardly used by the general population. Besides, coupled with gmail imap or .mac (now mobile me) push email, email is just a cheaper, and better option IMO.

The design is nice, rather familiar but just different enough for people to tell which model you have… exactly what apple tend to do.

I like the GPS feature, and I’m really looking forward to seeing what can be done with this and easily getting those apps via the App store!

For this really to be perfect for what I want, I would have loved to have seen an increase in mega-pixels by at least 1 or 2, and a 32gb drive. Although if i got that, i don’t really see myself upgrading for quite a while… which apple don’t want.

• Adriel says:

One reason it got price cut was because the service thing with AT&T…

“AT&T Inc., the exclusive U.S. carrier for the iPhone, said service for it will start at $39.99 per month, plus $30 for unlimited data. That works out to a $10 increase from the cheapest plan for the first-generation iPhone; over the course of a two-year contract, that increase wipes out the savings from the price cut Apple announced Monday.”

• Freshome says:

Apple is dominating more and more …the PC’s market, and now the cellphones market …step by step.

• jin_woo_han says:

unfortunately, Korea is not the country can use this.

• akshat says:

apple needs to stop copying one design they come up with and using it on everything they make. new iphone still doesn’t have mms and video recording