Waste Not Want Not

This is one of those “duh, I should have thought of that” inventions. It’s a simple beveled chopping board that dumps your choppings into metal bins. The bins themselves are held in place by magnets.

Now lets see one made of rubberized plastic with copper bins!

Designer: Peter D’Alessandro

• Ciaocibai says:

Amen to that one brother, that’s a really good idea.

Why didn’t I think of that? Oh, wait, because I’m too busy cleaning up spilt food is why.

• anonymous julie says:

Interesting concept, but only so-so on functionality. The trays rest on the board, which makes it tough to be sure the little particles get in (not to mention the construction of the metal tray, itself.) Having a lip on a cutting board… why?

Alter the design slightly to let the lip of the tray slide into a tiny slot in the board – loses the purist formal aspect, but ensures that any brushed bits go onto the tray, not under it.

Great for serving, or someone who wants cool gadgets but doesn’t cook much. As an avid cook, this doesn’t convince me to move away from my big wood slab or flexible plastic cutting mats.

• bluesky says:

It’s wonderful!!!! gooooooooooood job~~~~~~~~^^

• Pina says:

the thing I;d like to buy… : )

• KwangErn says:

Have to agree with julie, it needs to be refined for practicality. Overall great though!

• ash says:

again how do I buy one??

• Alex says:

Yeah, neat idea, but can use some improvements to be actually usable.

The edges will effectively prevent any reasonable use of the knife. The sharp edge of the knife typically needs to cross the chopping board boundaries and the hand that grips the handle frequently bumps against the board when chopping.

So this was clearly designed by someone who don’t really cook much :-)